looking for recommendations for tvs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not going to get in a pissing contest with you, but you have been the one making the snap judgements and taking the negativity approach. I merely was offering additional suggestions as the poster originally requested.

I have seen many FP setups and have yet to see one that doesn't look like sh*t in a brightly lit room.

Then all you have seen is hastily arranged or improperly setup or cheap mis-configured gear.

Maybe the right combination of projector and screen would work, I don't know, for me that's just one less thing to hassle with.

You just admitted that YOU DON"T know and that you perceive that they are a hassel. If you don't know, you comment can't hold much confidence.

there are reasons FP make up a tiny fraction of the HD market

YES, ill-conceived assumptions that are then passed around to other users like bad email hoaxes; IMHO.

Just because someone makes a different choice does not make it inferior to yours. Limited availability and time consuming configuration does not automatically mean better.

I never said that it did, nor is the configuration time consuming, this is YOUR negative spin on the product for whatever reason. Have you setup at least a few?

arrogance is a poor foundation to build a argument

Once again you try to negatively spin what I said. I never said any poster was ignorant, thus you have resorted to calling me arrogant to attempt to discredit my comments. Why am I the one being arrogant posting real-life experiences on FIRST hand setup & use and you are not with NONE?

I said the majority of people in the US tend to get herded to the cheaper and easier solution based on hearsay. That generally means that they are too dependant & trustworthy of CE salespeople.

charper1 said:
IMHO of this area, H/T is a passion, and that passion leads me to the best research, not the quickest, or easiest, but the highest quality in my price range.
I'll second that. I waited 6 months for the Sanyo Z2 pj to come out even though I could have purchased many other pj's prior to it's release. I waited a few more months for the receiver I wanted to debut and I waited 1 1/2 years before I dove into an upconverting dvd player and another year before buying a dvd/hd burner. I did not jump into DVHS when it came out at $1600, I waited until they were refurbbed on Ecost for $275. As they say "Good things come to those who wait" (and do their homework) ;) .

I was shocked to find that I was an "early adopter" of HD. I waited what seemed like a lifetime to purchase my Dish 6000 stb, but it paid off as I was able to get a deal that came out the month I was ready to buy. Instead of paying $499 for the stb plus $99 for the OTA module, I got it as a package deal for $279. I then found out I was one of the first 20,000 people in the U.S. to be able to receive HD. :D

I'm very picky with my equipment and very cost conscious, and I have read every stereo/home theater/AV mag on the rack for the last 30 years, but I agree with Nightryder, you can make a quick choice and get good gear, it just depends on what you know and who you purchase from. Now, if you know nothing about HD and walk into a WalMart, good luck. ;)

HI guys!!

There sure are a lot of choices out there isnt there? Something for everybody!!

:)

Gregg Loewen said:
HI guys!!

There sure are a lot of choices out there isnt there? Something for everybody!!

:)

Well said Greg! There good are choices to fit every room, budget and preference. :yes

NightRyder

korsjs said:
is there any reason to pass on the CRT types now? i have one that I am considering.

My son purchased a 51" Hitachi CRT based RPTV (sorry can't remember the model) about 6 months ago and I think it gives an excellent picture. I don't think it is as good a picture on HD as my DLP but then his set cost 1/2 what mine did.

Advantages:

1. CRT based displays can give an excellent picture.

2. The black level on these sets is superior to LCD, DLP and LCOS.

3. Price. These sets can cost hundreds, even thousands less then fixed pixel sets (LCD,DLP,LCOS).

4. This is a mature technology.

Disadvantages:

1. Can require frequent re-alignment but most sets have automated this task.

2. Subject to burn-in from games or static images.

3. Light output decreases as set ages.

4. Slightly larger and generally much heavier than fixed pixel displays.

5. Generally more limited viewing angle than fixed pixel.

6. Best picture requires a darker, light controlled viewing room.

As always these are just my opinions and are based on all sets being rear projection.

NightRyder

I have a Mitsubishi WD-62327 62" DLP and it is the most awesome picture I have ever seen. Looked at 50 units at Conns and it jumped out at me from the other side of the store. Black level and contrast make an almost 3D image. Friends that come over say it seems like they can jump into the picture, it is so real!!!

korsjs said:
i assume that since this is the ultravision model of the above, it would be just as good or better?

Ultravision are Hitachi's top of the line models and include their best lens and CRT so in theory they should provide a better picture.

NightRyder

i kind of deceided, not certain yet, that i will probably wait a tad bit longer for the prices of the current models to fall or for the new models to appear. i was close to the hitachi 57inch crt today, but i had a feeling if i bought it now, six months from now i would be asking myself why didn't i get a dlp or lcd. this is typical me when it comes to spending this kind of cash.

i do appreciate all the recommendation from everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)