Looking to get Hopper. Having Cox Modem and a Joey in the same room.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dneill99

Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
las vegas
I'm really looking to move to dish and get the hopper system. However I want to keep my Cox High Speed Internet/cable modem.
In my office I need to watch TV while I work/write. Currently I split the coax out of the wall one end to my cable modem and the other directly into the TV.
On the TV I can get basic cable and some network HD channels. How will I be able to keep my modem hooked up, but have that TV hooked up to a Joey.

Will the Dish Installer pull up a dedicated coax cable through my walls and separate my modem from the Hopper system or will they just hook up the main hopper (downstairs) and use my existing network to run the Joeys?

I'm sure my question is a technical mess, if you need any more info please let me know.

Dish installers don't do wall fishing. No way to share the Joey line with a cable modem. They only do coax installs of Joeys.

What you could do is use the cable modem coax for the Joey temporarily, then when the installer leaves you can hook the cable modem back up and hook the Joey to your Ethernet/WiFi network (as long as the Hopper is connected to the network as well.)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Hey thanks for the response, by chance could you elaborate on it a bit more.

Maybe I don't even have to disconnect the modem, would they just plug it into my router and pair it while they are here?

My TV in my office sits right next to my Modem and router. Are you saying I can just leave my Cable Modem plugged into the coax from the wall (as is) disconnect the splitter and run an Ethernet cable from my router right into the Joey (no coaxial).
Does it still work? I really just need to flip channels, would I lose DVR functions running the Joey with no Coax?
The main hopper would be downstairs on the big TV, but I will still be plugging it into the network down there. I have a powerline adapter that supplies a network connection via a hub to my entertainment system downstairs.

Hey thanks for the response, by chance could you elaborate on it a bit more.

Maybe I don't even have to disconnect the modem, would they just plug it into my router and pair it while they are here?

My TV in my office sits right next to my Modem and router. Are you saying I can just leave my Cable Modem plugged into the coax from the wall (as is) disconnect the splitter and run an Ethernet cable from my router right into the Joey (no coaxial).
Does it still work? I really just need to flip channels, would I lose DVR functions running the Joey with no Coax?
The main hopper would be downstairs on the big TV, but I will still be plugging it into the network down there. I have a powerline adapter that supplies a network connection via a hub to my entertainment system downstairs.

The Joey definitely can't share coax with anything else. Unfortunately, the techs will not install a Joey without a coax connection, as any other method is "unsupported" at this time. You will need to "borrow" the coax from the cable modem temporarily to get the Joey up and activated. At that point (after the installer leaves,) you can hook your cable modem back up the way it was, plug the Joey into Ethernet, and you should be good to go. The only thing that you will lose is the drop-down menu to see other Hoppers (if you have more than 1 Hopper.) There is an easy workaround though, simply link the Joey to the other Hopper (very easy, just a few button presses) then you will be able to see the contents of the other Hopper.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Another thing, depending on the type of TV you will be using with the Joey, the Joey does not have an RF modulator (coax output.) It has composite (yellow white red) and HDMI out (for HDTV.) If you need a coax connection to the TV then you will need an RF modulator or an old VCR to convert composite to NTSC coax.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Again thanks for all the great help.
I would be using HDMI on the TV from the Joey so no worries there.
Last question.
I am a bit worried about having them use the coaxial from my modem even just real quick for the setup, in case they take that coaxial at its base and do some weird split for it to be on the same run as the Hopper.

Do you know if they do anything like split these coaxes off at the base? Would they have a reason to put a splitter on any coaxal so that they are basically on the same line as the main Hopper? Or do they just leave your in House (room runs) coaxal alone and I really can just let the installer use it to get the Joey setup then plug it right back into my modem as it was before they even came?

Again thanks for all the great help.
I would be using HDMI on the TV from the Joey so no worries there.
Last question.
I am a bit worried about having them use the coaxial from my modem even just real quick for the setup, in case they take that coaxial at its base and do some weird split for it to be on the same run as the Hopper.

Do you know if they do anything like split these coaxes off at the base? Would they have a reason to put a splitter on any coaxal so that they are basically on the same line as the main Hopper? Or do they just leave your in House (room runs) coaxal alone and I really can just let the installer use it to get the Joey setup then plug it right back into my modem as it was before they even came?

I know this is going to depend on the installer you get but if it was me out there doing the install for you I would just listen to what your needs are and then connect the Joey using the ethernet. If you tell the installer what you want, he should be able to temporarily hook up the joey to activate then connect it as you desire and verify that your internet is left as is.

If you disconnect the incoming cable line from the splitter(s) that feed the rest if the house, and have it only go to the modem, the Dish installer can possibly use some or most of the remaining existing coax for the Dish feeds to the various locations.

If the Joey will be closest to the modem/router, he will most likely install a HIC at that location to provide an Internet connection for the entire Hopper/Joey system. If you have a WL router, you could also use a Dish WL adapter at the Hopper with its bridging function enabled, or a WL adapter at each Hopper and Joey. But, it sounds like a wired HIC might be better, and certainly more reliable, in your case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)