Looking to go from D*sh to D*V

Status
Please reply by conversation.
True, And after 4 years and the box failed more than once. I quess that would be a wash!

Still tough choking up the cash! Going to wipe out what I have left, With no OT lately and little cash to spare. Might just have to wait a bit.

Thanks for all the info. Looks like a good place to come hang out. For sure!

jetman6

Yes, you can buy Dish receivers vs. leasing them, and IIRC the month charge per receiver is exactly the same for leased vs. purchased. So you pay more up front to purchase the box and end up paying the same monthy charge either way.

Don't forget about the contract. If you lease the box, you'll have to sign another 2 year contract. If you buy it, you don't. That might be worth something depending on the situation.

Also remember you can get fees taken care of through credits with things such as the referral program and the AAA discount program.

Don't forget about the contract. If you lease the box, you'll have to sign another 2 year contract. If you buy it, you don't. That might be worth something depending on the situation.

Wait a minute there .....
If you lease the box you start a contract, true.
If you buy it , you STILL have the contract as soon as the access card is authorized.

Jimbo

True, And after 4 years and the box failed more than once. I quess that would be a wash!

Still tough choking up the cash! Going to wipe out what I have left, With no OT lately and little cash to spare. Might just have to wait a bit.

Thanks for all the info. Looks like a good place to come hang out. For sure!

jetman6

This is the only HDDVR I know you can buy.;)

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=HR21PRO

Wait a minute there .....
If you lease the box you start a contract, true.
If you buy it , you STILL have the contract as soon as the access card is authorized.

Jimbo

No, not with Dish. You probably won't get any other programming discounts without a contract, but if you buy your equipment and pay list price for the programming and install (or do it yourself) you won't have to sign a contract.

No, not with Dish. You probably won't get any other programming discounts without a contract, but if you buy your equipment and pay list price for the programming and install (or do it yourself) you won't have to sign a contract.

My mistake, I was thinking D* not DISH when I posted that.

think I might change to D*V and was wondering if there is a benifit of owning my own equipment? Or would leasing be a better option?

Also will there be any hassles from them if I do own my own hardware.

Does any one have some good tips or sites I might visit to help with my install? My DN setup was installed by a tech.

Looking for 3 rooms HD and 1 room SD. All rooms to have a DVR.

Here is my list of components I think I need.

Slimline AU9 dish
3 HR22 rec
1 r22 rec.
500 feet of RG6 cable and 20 conectors. with striper and crimp tool.
Signal meter.

TIA
jetman6

don't switch. what are you crazy?
dish is way way better then directv.
i just got away from directv they have horrible service signal and sound.
i had an hd dish and receiver with them.
the lines i had in my house are around 25 years old.
directv never changed them when they put in the first dish many years ago.
then when i upgraded to hd they never changed the lines nor did they check them.
so i was watching tv and the picture kept getting worse and worse.
sound kept going in and out low to high when watching tv.
and i kept calling them asking them to change the lines out.
they said by the symptoms they need to be changed so they sent an ahole tech out.
he said everything was fine it was my brand new lcdtv.
and i told him it wasn't my tv it is your crappy lines and equipment.
and i said tell me this how would it be my brand new tv?
when everything else plays fine on it but your receiver and dish.
insist on giving me problems.
he got pissed and wanted to swing at me but he was lucky he didn't/
so he went out and called his boss whining about what i said.
so his boss called me up and sarcastically said there was nothing wrong.
well i told him what was going on and he said he will make the tech look at the whole lines.
well i watched the tech through the window but couldn't see what he was doing.
he brought in a peice of wire that he cut off of mine and sliced it on the side.
and said theres your problem you have rats.
i was like no we don't i could tell it was a new cut because it was sliced with a razor knife and the copper inside was shiny.
so i agreed with him and he left.
but then i called a week later and they said even though i had the warranty protection plan i paid for.
they were not going to help me.
so i said that is a bunch of bs i am going to switch companies. and hung up on them.
now i have dish network and they installed all new cables and asked why i switched i told them they said that was most of your problem was the wires were the wrong ones.
i laughed and said i figured that because they didn't want to get dirty they said everything was fine.

directv also was charging to much money, they would go up every month $20 and didn't add any new channels at all and the service got worse and worse.

now i get more channels for way less money and better service and picture and sound.

i was paying $115 a month for directv and now i am paying $82 and get more channels.

how is that possible?

so choose wisely i would goto cable before i went to directv again.

hjason7812:
From your posts in the Dish Forums, you seem to have some problems there as well. :)
I think your problem with DirecTV was a bad install. And your attitude. :)
And your diatribe kinda rambled. :D

hjason7812:
From your posts in the Dish Forums, you seem to have some problems there as well. :)
I think your problem with DirecTV was a bad install. And your attitude. :)
And your diatribe kinda rambled. :D

Just looking at his other posts tells you all you need to know.

Install stories here sure tell me that it all depends on the DTV installer that one gets assigned to their install.

During my HD upgrade install last year, I talked with the installer about running new RG6 lines for the HD install. I was mostly getting his input on it since I had wired my house years ealier for C Band dist to every room with RG6. The DTV installer said

"Using your existing RG6 runs may work ok but I'm going to run new RG6 lines for your 2 HD receiver room install. I don't want to take a chance with your HD signal and use RG6 lines that are 17 years old."

I thought that the guy showed a professional attitude and cared about my signal quality above a considerable faster and easier install had he used my existing cable lines.

I still use my older RG6 multi-room lines for my 1 remaining std DTV box for RF output to the kitchen and other rooms, patio, garage.

directv also was charging to much money, they would go up every month $20 and didn't add any new channels at all and the service got worse and worse.

What package did you have that went up $20 per month, gee folks get upset when they go up $3 a month at the annual price increase?

I agree with hJason7812. Had Direct January 95 switched to Dish August 97 and had Dish until November 08, switched to Direct. Will look at another alternative when November '10 shows up (or maybe sooner). Direct has an elegent box design and pretty menus. They're boxes and programming choices aren't intuitive. They don't live up to their commitments. If that sounds like whining, I'm sorry. I went thru 6 Dishplayers and stayed. I stayed through 4 exchanges on defective 622s in 6 weeks and would still have still been with Dish, if they hadn't sent the fourth refurbished unit after I warned them not to.:D

I agree with hJason7812. Had Direct January 95 switched to Dish August 97 and had Dish until November 08, switched to Direct. Will look at another alternative when November '10 shows up (or maybe sooner). Direct has an elegent box design and pretty menus. They're boxes and programming choices aren't intuitive. They don't live up to their commitments. If that sounds like whining, I'm sorry. I went thru 6 Dishplayers and stayed. I stayed through 4 exchanges on defective 622s in 6 weeks and would still have still been with Dish, if they hadn't sent the fourth refurbished unit after I warned them not to.:D

I am totally confused by this post! :eek:

don't switch. what are you crazy?
dish is way way better then directv.
i just got away from directv they have horrible service signal and sound.
i had an hd dish and receiver with them.
the lines i had in my house are around 25 years old.
directv never changed them when they put in the first dish many years ago.
then when i upgraded to hd they never changed the lines nor did they check them.
so i was watching tv and the picture kept getting worse and worse.
sound kept going in and out low to high when watching tv.
and i kept calling them asking them to change the lines out.
they said by the symptoms they need to be changed so they sent an ahole tech out.
he said everything was fine it was my brand new lcdtv.
and i told him it wasn't my tv it is your crappy lines and equipment.
and i said tell me this how would it be my brand new tv?
when everything else plays fine on it but your receiver and dish.
insist on giving me problems.
he got pissed and wanted to swing at me but he was lucky he didn't/
so he went out and called his boss whining about what i said.
so his boss called me up and sarcastically said there was nothing wrong.
well i told him what was going on and he said he will make the tech look at the whole lines.
well i watched the tech through the window but couldn't see what he was doing.
he brought in a peice of wire that he cut off of mine and sliced it on the side.
and said theres your problem you have rats.
i was like no we don't i could tell it was a new cut because it was sliced with a razor knife and the copper inside was shiny.
so i agreed with him and he left.
but then i called a week later and they said even though i had the warranty protection plan i paid for.
they were not going to help me.
so i said that is a bunch of bs i am going to switch companies. and hung up on them.
now i have dish network and they installed all new cables and asked why i switched i told them they said that was most of your problem was the wires were the wrong ones.
i laughed and said i figured that because they didn't want to get dirty they said everything was fine.

now i get more channels for way less money and better service and picture and sound.

i was paying $115 a month for directv and now i am paying $82 and get more channels.

how is that possible?

so choose wisely i would goto cable before i went to directv again.

Hee Hee, Sure hope you like them messing with the locals when your watching the news or something.

My E* install wasn't pretty. The installer could swing a mean hammer. They also used the old cable wires. RG5. Wanted to charge to upgrade to RG6. But if you read the install rec's. Says RG6 was a must. Hear several say that they should have changed for free. Wouldn't budge. Wanted like $160.00 plus a $85 call fee. Did the RG6 upgrade myself. I all depends on who you get!

The switch is mostly because of what we like to watch. There is more on D*. I have asked for 2 years on and off(about 1 email a month) for YES network. The is always the same. We done have YES. NO s#!+. They don't seem to care what the viewers want. Just give them more of what they don't want.

We all can rant:rant: about the bad stuff about any service. They all have good and bad installers, Tech's, CS Reps and so on!

Yes E* may be cheaper, But if they don't have what you are looking for why stay. I'm crazy! Yes, But not nuts! I would rather pay a touch more for all that I want, Than stay with that has some of what I want!

So far I have heard more good than bad about D*. Asking my friend and co workers. Going to find a D* user and check it out 1st hand. Then I will make the call! But it looks like as soon as I save for the install. D* will gain and E* will loose!

jet

lol what attitude?
i say thing's to the point and if noone likes that then oh well.

anyways direct sucks they never treaet you like they should.
and when something went wrong with the box and the lines i was treated like i didn't know anything about electronics.

and to the one who said he hopes i like it when they mess with my local channels.
well my picture is crisp and sound is clear.
it has never went out once except when we have really bad thunder storms.

also when with direct to answer someones question as to what package i had with them.

i had the hd package with the 200 or 250 channels.
with starz.

i only had one hd box and 2 sd boxes.
when it got to $114 a month i was like i am switching.
when i 1st got it i paid $49 a month for that package back in 91.
once it hit year 2000 the prices just started going up and never stopped.

so i got out of there they are crooks.

lol what attitude?
i say thing's to the point and if noone likes that then oh well.

anyways direct sucks they never treaet you like they should.
and when something went wrong with the box and the lines i was treated like i didn't know anything about electronics.

and to the one who said he hopes i like it when they mess with my local channels.
well my picture is crisp and sound is clear.
it has never went out once except when we have really bad thunder storms.

also when with direct to answer someones question as to what package i had with them.

i had the hd package with the 200 or 250 channels.
with starz.

i only had one hd box and 2 sd boxes.
when it got to $114 a month i was like i am switching.
when i 1st got it i paid $49 a month for that package back in 91.
once it hit year 2000 the prices just started going up and never stopped.

so i got out of there they are crooks.

:sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

:sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

cry two tears in a bucket.

guess you play the fiddle huh?
you must have some problems too like supporting a crap company like direct tv.
they charge way to much for their service and this is due to them sponsoring everything under the sun.

and their equipment is crap that locks up when you change the channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)