Looks like MLB is adding one more playoff team

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Sounds like it will be a one game playoff between the top two wild cards. What do you guys think?

Sandra

so we had one of the best last days of the season with both wild card games going to the wire and now Bud Lite is gonna be like youth baseball games where they dont keep score and "Everyone is a winner"

BAD MOVE

I'm going to take a wait and see approach. I think the wildcats has worked out much better than most thought it would when first implemented. This has the potential to provide more meaningful games at the end of the season. And makes the difference between being a wild card and the division champ huge. Win division, guaranteed to get a five game series. Be a wildcard team and you have a one game playoff. Anything can happen in one game... Anything.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

so what happens when the wild card winner (using current format) is say 5 or 6 games ahead of the "2nd" wildcard? Just dilutes it even more

In order to make this more fair (I still don't agree with any of this though), is he will have to add 2 more wild cards to each league. Seed it like the NBA, NHL, and NFL does with the 1st place team playing the 4th wild card, 2nd wild card plays 3rd wild card. Again I feel the current system works well now.

I'm going to take a wait and see approach. I think the wildcats has worked out much better than most thought it would when first implemented. This has the potential to provide more meaningful games at the end of the season. And makes the difference between being a wild card and the division champ huge. Win division, guaranteed to get a five game series. Be a wildcard team and you have a one game playoff. Anything can happen in one game... Anything.

I too will have to agree with a wait an see approach.

so what happens when the wild card winner (using current format) is say 5 or 6 games ahead of the "2nd" wildcard? Just dilutes it even more

Well to be fair the same thing happens right now in baseball and all sports. No matter how many games you finish ahead of the other team, you still start the playoffs 0-0. This doesn't change that.

Sandra

Well I guess I'm in the minority, but I like it. This gives real incentive to win the division. Even though it may not be a good thing for my team...I still like it.

Sandra

My first thought is that it penalizes the first (current) WC team. A one-game playoff would require both teams to use their best available pitcher in that game, making him unavailable for the first few games of the next round.

I know the goal is just to win and get in, but it's kinda like the added teams and play-in games to March Madness. Fans of those teams may be riveted, but to everyone else, meh...

My first thought is that it penalizes the first (current) WC team. A one-game playoff would require both teams to use their best available pitcher in that game, making him unavailable for the first few games of the next round.

Actually, this is one of the exact reasons I like it. I look at this totally differently. It gives more advantage to the team that finishes first...as it should be.

Sandra

IF they're gonna add this addl. WC, it has to happen in Both leagues, so your adding 2 teams....
Ok, however, I DON'T like the 1 game playoff, they need to be a 3 game or it's not worth it.

Personally, I think it should stay the way it is.

I know the goal is just to win and get in, but it's kinda like the added teams and play-in games to March Madness. Fans of those teams may be riveted, but to everyone else, meh...

This!!

Actually, this is one of the exact reasons I like it. I look at this totally differently. It gives more advantage to the team that finishes first...as it should be.

Sandra

Fine, then have NO Wild Cards (and we all know that won't be happening).

BillD1984 said:
Fine, then have NO Wild Cards (and we all know that won't be happening).

Sorry, but no wild cards is an awful idea. Case in point would be this year's world champions, the Cardinals wouldn't have even been playing October baseball if not for the wild card. Another case in point was the 1993 (I believe that was the year) Giants, won 100+ games but didn't make the playoff because Atlanta had one more win (I believe it was 103 and 104 wins respectively). That's an outright travesty.

Besides those examples, the wild card provides two added benefits. 1) more meaningful games later in the season (teams that are out of contention for the division are still fighting for a playoff birth) 2) rewards additional teams that may have great records but just happen to play in tougher divisions. (Is anyone else amused when a wild card team has a better record than a division winner?)

Even if they add 2 Wild card teams in each league then does one team get a bye the next round?
If they just add one then does the best team in each league get a bye?

Even if they add 2 Wild card teams in each league then does one team get a bye the next round?
If they just add one then does the best team in each league get a bye?

Ramy, my fault for not wording the title correctly. They are going to add one more wild card in each league. There will most likely be a one game playoff between the two wild card teams in each league, which will then leave four playoff teams in each league.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)