loop out from one receiver to another

Status
Please reply by conversation.

red2grass

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
SF Bay Area
I just got the Mercury II from the $85 deal and plan to install a motor to my dish using USALS. I am quite happy with Mercury II but have question about the loop out feature. I plan to connect Mercury II to the motor and dish and its loopout to my old FTA receiver. Should I turn off the DC power output of my older receiver? If I leave the output DC power of the old receiver on and turn Mercury II's power off can my old receiver still work? I mean will Mercury II pass through the DC power backwards from loop out to the motor and dish?

If both boxes are on, the 2nd box (the slaved off the loop out) will only get the same polarity as the main box.

If the Merc II is off the 2nd box can get both polarities

If both boxes are on, the 2nd box (the slaved off the loop out) will only get the same polarity as the main box.

If the Merc II is off the 2nd box can get both polarities
What about control of the motor, will the 2nd box be able to control the motor if the first (Merc II) is off?

Only one receiver can control the motor, and as mentioned, whichever one that is will have to be on the polarity that you are looking to get on the looped out receiver... BUT, if you get yourself something like an invacom quad, that polarity issue goes away since you can just run one line from lnb to motor to receiver that controls the motor and run a second one from the second receiver straight to the lnb. The second receiver won't be able to change the motor, but it will be able to see both polarities. I have a hookup like that at my house with the second line going in to a usb world dvb box that I use to record stuff. I mainly sit the motor on either 123w or 30w and that way the pvr can just do its thing on whatever polarity it wants to and I can go about my business and do whatever I want, just so long as I turn the motor on the main fta box... Very nice setup like this for timer recording movies on the rtn stations on weekends.

I currently have my new VisionSat IV200, on the loop out connector of my Merc. When the Merc is in standby mode, the VisionSat has full control of the motor and both polarities. When the Merc is turned on fully and active, THEN the VisionSat can only monitor the polarity selected by the Merc. That is normal behavior for all these boxes, and a good way to break in a new box.

:)
Brent

I currently have my new VisionSat IV200, on the loop out connector of my Merc. When the Merc is in standby mode, the VisionSat has full control of the motor and both polarities. When the Merc is turned on fully and active, THEN the VisionSat can only monitor the polarity selected by the Merc. That is normal behavior for all these boxes, and a good way to break in a new box.

Brent
AH... that's good to know. I'm planning to hook up my Traxis to the loop out of my Merc II when I get the motor set up. I assume it will work the same as the Merc II and Visionsat.

Good to know and that is what I'd like to do. Can you explain why do you need to "break in a new box"?

Brent

Brent

Same here... I have a DVB tuner behind my Fortec box. When the Fortec is off the DVB tuner can move the motor, change the diseqc, and control the polarity.

Is the consensus then that the first receiver will block DC voltage of the looped out receiver when the first receiver is turned on? So, we wouldn't need to worry about turning the DC Voltage OFF on the receiver that is on the loop out?

Something blew up my LNBf this weekend, don't know if it was the super cold weather, or if it was both units sending juice to the LNBf.

Connect a Multi-tester and test the voltage on SAT IN connection of the master receiver. Test the voltage for either 13VDC +/- 10% if on a vertical channel or 18VDC +/- 10% in on a Horizontal channel. Check these measurements in these configurations:

Master ON Horizontal / Slave OFF
Master ON Vertical / Slave OFF
Master OFF Horizontal / Slave OFF
Master OFF Vertical / Slave OFF
Master ON Horizontal / Slave ON Horizontal
Master ON Horizontal / Slave ON Vertical
Master ON Vertical / Slave ON Horizontal
Master ON Vertical/ Slave ON Vertical

ETC.............

This test will indicate what and when voltages are passed.

The master will be my new Mercury II and slave will be my older receiver which has an option to turn off output DC power. The slave is connected to the loop out of master. Is it good to leave the 13/18v output of the slave on when the master is also on?
I don't know the reason other people want to connect a slave to a loop out of the master. My reason is quite unique. Unfortunately to my disappointment, the Mecury II degrades my OTA signal significantly when it combines my OTA signal with its FTA output at channel 3. My older receiver does it superbly. So I'd like to stick with my older receiver to distribute my OTA signal combined with a tuned FTA channel on channel 3 and use Mercury II for FTA channel surfing and feeding hunting. My old receiver does not have blind search or USALS.

I realized about a year ago Fortec receivers have a hidden feature to combine OTA channel 7 - 69 with its own channel 3/4 output when you leave its power on. When it is powered off, it passes through full range of OTA channels from 2 - 69. In Mercury II specifically, it has a TV/DBS button to achieve the same OTA pass thru function as power off. But the non-pass thru mode is what I want so if I distribute Merc II RF output to all the TVs in my house each TV can view all OTA channels plus the tuned FTA channel. Unfortunately Mercury II still has this feature but degrades OTA signals significantly. This is a nice hidden feature, since in most places in U.S. (except the infamous channel 3 in Chicago), digital OTA channels are 7 and above.

Same here... I have a DVB tuner behind my Fortec box. When the Fortec is off the DVB tuner can move the motor, change the diseqc, and control the polarity.

So if I understand it correctly, I would be able to control the motor with my second box using USALS as long as the main box is off?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)