Loosing internet connection to mmy 722K receiver

mariokrt64

Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
Puerto Rico
I have a 722k receiver with Sling adapter and connected to a wired ethernet connection..I continuosly loss my internet connection to the receiver and have to reconnect manaully thru the menu...SetUp, Instl., Broadband Setup, Network Setup...I start to download a movie from the Dish on Demand service and while it starts, the connection does not seem to stick and the dowloads appears with error...Once in a while I have been able to download a movie but seldom it works....The connection is not able to "stcik", and would say in lay person terms. I chat with online support and they asked to verify the UpnP settings and the DMZ (not sure if I did the latter correctly), which I did w/o success....I have a Technicolor TG582n router and a dsl connection...Used to have a Thompson TG782 that appeared to work fine with the on demand service, which died a couple of months ago.

I am gonna try the dsl provider, but does not have to much hope with them.

Will appreciate any comments or if anyone had and resolved a similar issue.

Thanks...

We had the same problem with loosing the internet connection. I would reset the connection, then the next time I tried to get on there I'd have to reconnect it again. EVERY TIME!!! We had a Dish technician come to our house 3 times (for this & other problems), & he never got it fixed. Tech phone support was not any help either.

Adding to my frustration was that we have 3 TV's with blue ray dvd players with wireless internet connections, that rarely ever have to be reset. 99% of the time I could go on there & watch Netflix instantly. So if that's getting the wireless signal, I can't understand why my Dish DVR wouldn't work. Just another reason why we switched to DirecTV last month.

This is a known issue with the 722k. I would like to submit a technical problem report about this. I would just need to know who your internet provider is, the type of service you have and the make/model of your router. Can you please send me a PM with that information? As you mentioned enabling the UPnP and putting the receiver in the router's DMZ may resolve this issue. For directions on how to do this you would need to contact your internet provider for instructions on how to do this.

Lots of known issues with the 722K but no one is doing anything about it. just had the 3rd tech here since jan about the freezing and rebooting...everything is new (EVERYTHING) 85 phone calls later......the same day the last tech left and said it was fixed got another freeze......NO , update for me yet. why cant they push the updates for everyone and NOT in spurts ???????, all they want to do is give me another shotty 722K.

Lots of known issues with the 722K but no one is doing anything about it. just had the 3rd tech here since jan about the freezing and rebooting...everything is new (EVERYTHING) 85 phone calls later......the same day the last tech left and said it was fixed got another freeze......NO , update for me yet. why cant they push the updates for everyone and NOT in spurts ???????, all they want to do is give me another shotty 722K.

I'm very sorry for your frustrations. Our CSRs should be checking our known issue list before scheduling a tech or replacing the receiver, and should find that when an OTA module is connected to the 722k, it can cause the receiver to freeze up. This will not be fixed by anything other than a software update. If you would like, I can look into getting you a 722 (non K), or a 922 if you send me a PM.

Software releases are partial in case there is a bigger bug with it. If we release software to hundreds of thousands of receivers at once that has a major bug, it would cause a lot more frustration than 10 thousand receivers.

Don't loosen your internet connection and you won't have any problems. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Im still waiting for the update to see if it works. Yesterday we were watching golf channel and TNT..both satellite channels and we froze 6 times. was going back from one channel to the other and the freezing starts.

Matt, I like the convenience of the 722K and have waited for the update for a long time. Kids are all gone so we have one HD (main) and one SD (upstairs). Iwas suppose to have another tech come out yesterday but they didnt show and I didnt call either. am tired of taking time off work for them and I lost 4 hours yesterday waiting . Just had one here 1 1/2 weeks ago.

Personally...get the Hopper. I see the Hopper as going from a rotary phone to a Cell phone .
If you are tired of 722 issues, the Hopper is so much more fun.

I would get the hopper , but it doesn't have the OTA capabilities. I need that for my tv's. Plus I am 7 months out of my 2 year contract and do not want to sign another 2 years. I want what I have fixed, then maybe the hopper in the future if it gets OTA>

I would get the hopper , but it doesn't have the OTA capabilities. I need that for my tv's. Plus I am 7 months out of my 2 year contract and do not want to sign another 2 years. I want what I have fixed, then maybe the hopper in the future if it gets OTA>

You do have an older model...'Ks don't do OTA. I can't see why the Hopper would either, most locals are on the sats.

You are right . I finally did some research...when the Ks first started showing up in warehouse inventory the FSM told us the Ks didn't have OTA modules, and I never heard they were returned to OEM
I have never had any customer request the OTA ant connected to a 722K, so there you are.
I looked and there sure enough is an ant in on the 722K.
I think the OTA module add on is cool, dual tuner OTA and 4-channel recording...since there are 2-4 different versions of all OTAs here, having multiple channels of Digital and HD locals is a plus.

The 722Ks don't have an OTA in unless the OTA module is installed. Maybe you are referring to the RF antenna in for the remote. I specifically ordered an 722K with the OTA module and the installer hooked it up, after calling the shop to bring it (OTA module) out because he didn't have it on his truck. Seemed surprised about me getting one like he hadn't installed many. Seems Dish doesn't make a point of it as a feature. http://www.dish.com/technology/receivers-dvrs/ Pretty stupid IMO. It's the reason I got it instead of a one OTA tuner 722- do they even offer it anymore?

Last edited:
Just get the hopper and connect your ota directly to the back of your tv not to hard to switch inputs on your tv to view the ota then back to the dish. Not all 722k's are like this I've installed hundreds of these receivers and have seen 1 or 2 that have had freezing issues, have seen it with other VIPs as well 222's 612's and 211's there are many other issues that could cause your receiver to freeze as well bad cable, lnb, bad pwr outlets seen many hot/neutral/reverses cause that issue. Freezing with the on demand could also depend on how its connected to your internet whether its direct connected or via Sling Link (not to be confused with sling adapter) if sling link is plugged into a pwr strip or receiver is plugged into a pwr strip the connection will not work properly. I have seen know issues with the internet connection primarily on 722's utilizing the WI-FI adapters but have not heard anything as to why this may be.

Hopper is a nice looking system and fun to play with have taken for a spin at my sister's place, but it's not for everyone. For the OP it's not the answer as he needs OTA, for me it's a no go because I RV and yes I know that Dish has no permitted a single 211k on a hopper account. Well you don't have to live with my wife who does not want to watch in the bedroom of the motorhome what I am watching in the living room and absolutely will not think about not being able to take all her recorded shows from the 722s at home. Yes Hopper is wonderful but it's not a one size fits all. If it were that's all anyone would be able to get from Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts