Lose Satellite signal when unplugging HDMI

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Palm Coast Florida
I have a vacation house where I use my H21/100 receiver with about a 6 year old 720P TY. I purchased a newer larger TV and when I tried setting it up I got the 771 error code. After troubleshooting I found that when I plug the HDMI back into the older TV, it works again. Just not in the newer. Thought I had a bad TV so I replaced it. Same thing. So now I left the receiver HDMI plugged into the old TV and used other component output to feed the new TV. Worked great but now I have two TV's side by side. So doing more troubleshooting when I unplug the HDMI from old TV, I again lose all signal. For whatever reason, the receiver will only work while connected to that specific TV. Any help here?

Slimline 5 with B band converter and the H21/100 receiver.

Did you assign an input on your new TV when you set it up? If not, that is probably your problem. This kind of problem is almost always something very simple. It’s either a setting on the new TV or the receiver.

Yes I played with the input settings on the TV and other settings on the receiver. Simply unplugging a HDMI cable should not stop power from going to the LNB.

Strange. I would be suspicious of the hdmi cable.

Is the receiver set to output a 1080i signal?

Simply unplugging a HDMI cable should not stop power from going to the LNB.

Even though error 771 indicates a reception problem, your results indicate that isn’t the case. HDMI works on the old TV, and component works on the new TV, so that shows you that the LNB isn’t the problem. Have you looked at your signal strength? If its low I’d give D* a call. What is the make and model of your new TV? I still think there must be something in the setup process. Your component works. In setup, is component selected for your input instead of HDMI? I’m sure you are capable, but I’ve overlooked the simplest things before because I was in too much of a hurry.

Last edited:
Tried 3 different cables, sorry didn't post that.

Should add that my setup is Slimline 5, Multi-switch.

I'm assuming you aren't actually using a separate multiswitch, yes? If so, try bypassing it by using a single cable from the lnb to the bbc to the receiver. It should make any difference, but you never know!

Even though error 771 indicates a reception problem, your results indicate that isn’t the case. HDMI works on the old TV, and component works on the new TV, so that shows you that the LNB isn’t the problem. Have you looked at your signal strength? If its low I’d give D* a call. What is the make and model of your new TV? I still think there must be something in the setup process. Your component works. In setup, is component selected for your input instead of HDMI? I’m sure you are capable, but I’ve overlooked the simplest things before because I was in too much of a hurry.

You misunderstood my post. What I did was test all other outputs on the receiver and ran two TV's off of the one receiver receiver at the same time. The bottom line is that for whatever reason, I get no signal from dish when the HDMI on the old TV is unplugged. To me, it seems like for whatever reason the lnb is getting powered by the HDMI cable on old TV only.

I'm assuming you aren't actually using a separate multiswitch, yes? If so, try bypassing it by using a single cable from the lnb to the bbc to the receiver. It should make any difference, but you never know!

No multiswitch. One coax from LNB to BBC and then to receiver.

You misunderstood my post. What I did was test all other outputs on the receiver and ran two TV's off of the one receiver receiver at the same time. The bottom line is that for whatever reason, I get no signal from dish when the HDMI on the old TV is unplugged. To me, it seems like for whatever reason the lnb is getting powered by the HDMI cable on old TV only.

The lnb is powered by the receiver when you are using a standard lnb. A power inserter is used when you have a swm lnb or swm multiswitch. Does your lnb have 4 outputs on it?

When you use the old tv, what are your signal strengths on 101, 99c, 103ca and 103cb?

Are you trying to swap the HDMI cable from the old TV to the new TV while the TV's and receiver are on? If so, shut both off, hook up the cable to the new TV and then turn them on. My Mitsubishi won't detect some things on HDMI if you plug the cable in while it is on. Some TV's have HDMI component control too, when switched to or off of an HDMI input the TV switches on or off whatever device is connected to that port automatically, you could try enabling that/disabling it, if your TV has that option.

Last edited:
Are you trying to swap the HDMI cable from the old TV to the new TV while the TV's and receiver are on? If so, shut both off, hook up the cable to the new TV and then turn them on. My Mitsubishi won't detect some things on HDMI if you plug the cable in while it is on. Some TV's have HDMI component control too, when switched to or off of an HDMI input the TV switches on or off whatever device is connected to that port automatically, you could try enabling that/disabling it, if your TV has that option.

Thats the HDMI Handshake issue ...
I wonder if that IS his issue ?

The lnb is powered by the receiver when you are using a standard lnb. A power inserter is used when you have a swm lnb or swm multiswitch. Does your lnb have 4 outputs on it?

Yes I know how the LNB is powered by the receiver or the inserter. Yes, the LNB has four outputs but I'm only using one.

Trust me, what's happening makes no sense what so ever. It's making me think something internally on the receiver is shorted because it sure seems as if the TV is powering the LNB but if that were true. One would think the new TV would power it too.

Last edited:

I have tried to get it working from scratch on the new system. I went through all the settings and disabled all inputs except HDMI and that didn't work either.

You still haven’t told us what model TV you have. Sometimes a new eye or two can catch something that you are missing. That is not a cut, but it happens to all of us. You’ve proven the LNB is good. You’ve proven the HR21 works. You’ve proven the new TV can receive a signal. I still think its something very simple. I’d like to be able to read the manual.

You still haven’t told us what model TV you have. Sometimes a new eye or two can catch something that you are missing. That is not a cut, but it happens to all of us. You’ve proven the LNB is good. You’ve proven the HR21 works. You’ve proven the new TV can receive a signal. I still think its something very simple. I’d like to be able to read the manual.

I tried TWO new TV's. Sorry missed that request as well.

The first: was a off name LCS or something LED TV 50" Sorry, can't find a link.

The Second:http://us.sanyo.com/dynamic/product/Downloads/FVM5082-Z6WF_021--_(English)-3648981.pdf

Native Resolution: 1080p
Refresh Rate: 60Hz
2 HDMI inputs
Energy Star Qualified
Description

Sanyo FVM5082 LCD HDTV is the latest technology for the digital age. Having a full array of HDMI, Component Audio/Video, Composite Audio/Video and RF inputs, you have plenty of options for DVD, VCR, Cable, Satellite and external antenna hookups. A coaxial digital audio output allows hookup to a home entertainment receiver amplifier system for theater like sound. The USB input and Photo Viewer feature allows display of your digital camera photos for all to easily see. And with a thin space saving design and small footprint, it can be positioned anywhere.
Read More
Specifications

Display: LCD HDTV
Size: 49.5" Diagonal
Native Panel Resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels
Refresh Rate: 60Hz
Wide screen 16:9 Aspect Ratio
Wide Viewing Angles: 178 H x 178 V Degrees
Integrated Digital Clear QAM ATSC + Analog NTSC Tuner
Receives ATSC signal formats (including 480i/p, 720p and 1080i) converted to 720p display
3D Y/C Digital Comb Filter
MTS/SAP Stereo & Digital Audio
Two 6 x 12 cm speakers: 10 watts/ch
Picture Shapes: 1-7 (w/remote control PIX Shape Key)
7 Picture Menu (5 Preset, manual, advanced manual)
XDS-Extended Data Service capability
V-Guide Parental Control
Trilingual Menus: English, Spanish, French
Closed Caption Compliant: NTSC-608, ATSC-708CC
Sleep Timer: 1/2 - 3 hours
Auto Channel Search
2 HDMI inputs (HDMI 1 DVI compatible)
1 Mini Audio Input for DVI Audio support
1 Combo Composite-Component (Y-Pb-Pr with R/L audio) input
1 Composite Input (V,L/R)
1 USB input (with Photo Viewer for digital jpeg photos)
1 Coaxial Digital Audio Output
1 Variable Analog Audio Out (R/L)
1 RF Input ( Analog/Digital Antenna In)
Detachable Stand Legs / Vesa 400 x 400 Wall Mountable (with optional kit not supplied)
Energy Star Qualified

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)