Losing HD Absolute. Any suggestions?

I hate to say it but you snooze you lose. The freebies that people are getting are for having a minimum programming package before February 1st and he Absolute pack was not one of those qualifying packages.

This is why they were trying to hard to get everyone switched (and why they mailed you those letters) so you could get this done before the 1st.

Did you think they were bluffing?

No, not at all. When I got the letter, I came here to see what others were planning to do. It seemed like no one at Dish seemed to know what was going on. People who did call in were commonly told to wait until 2/1, allow the automatic switchover to happen, and see then what the credit would actually be since no one at Dish seemed to know. Moreover, what was offered was what I would have switched to, so why bother calling in if they said it would be done automatically?

I don't think the letter had anything to do with qualifying people for the freebies. If Dish really wanted people to call and switch so that they would qualify for the gifts, the company would have mentioned it in the letter.

What bothers me is that I did call before and talk to Dish before the 1st and made arrangements for converting my absolutehd. I even wanted it converted before the deadline and was told that I had to wait until the feb. 1 before it took effect. When it did go into effect I did not get the Starz free like many others did. Not only did my service double by 30 dollars, I didn't get starz either. I have a been a customer for a long time and I am not happy, but the rep didn't seem to care. Gave me cinemax free for a month. What a joke!

I called Dish and Dish called me, in both instances I was advised to wait until after Feb. 1 to make any changes to my account.

I was told the caller made notes on my account as to the offer that Dish would give me.

I could call back and select the tier that I wanted to go to or I could just wait and be automatically switched to AT200 with HD for life, $15 off per month for 12 months and 12 months of free Platinum.

If we who waited as told are not given the Starz offer it is another slap in the face.

Nowhere was it indicated that the Starz offer was ONLY for those who had a qualifying programming package BEFORE Feb. 1, the implication always was that we would be switched and included.

I do not particularly want Starz, I would not pay to have it on my account, but a promise is a promise.

I have just subscribed to Netflix through my Wii, HD TiVo and my PS3, and so far we are well satisfied, this might be better than the VERY expensive Dish offer.

We have 19 OTA channels available locally plus Netflix which has both movies and TV programs we may just save ourselves $80 a month and cut the cord with Dish.

At least I seem to be in good company. As a 14-year subscriber I have always gotten good customer service from E*. But not today. It's almost as if there was an internal E* memo that said "all Absolute subscribers are expendable". I've been willing to pay $50/month for my weekend cabin, but not $80. That's just too much for someplace I'm only at 2 days a week. Oh well, as others have said, it was good while it lasted. I'm glad I'm happy with my cable service at my primary residence. I'll put the extra cash into the gas tank easily enough.

I'm still on Absolute programming with the 'proposed changes" showing 200 also, You'll never really know whats what until the next bill has generated. I paid mine yesterday, so when the next one is ready should be what it is.

This isn't the 1st time proposed changes show one thing and the bill is actually different.

Well, I tried..

Stayed on chat with about 6 different operators, kept Losing connection, etc...
all I could get was the $10.00 discount, Starz, and the HD Plat. for a year.

I'm still on Absolute programming with the 'proposed changes" showing 200 also, You'll never really know whats what until the next bill has generated. I paid mine yesterday, so when the next one is ready should be what it is.

This isn't the 1st time proposed changes show one thing and the bill is actually different.

I hope that works out for you. I was going to do that too, but I called today to verify if my next bill (tomorrow) would be at my Absolute price of $49.95, of the "Proposed" price of $84.98. I was told it would be the higher price. I told them I didn't want any changes. The next time I logged in to check, the "package no longer available was gone". I'm done with E* over this. I refuse to be treated this way.

Like others, I've been switched online but don't have any of the channels. I'll need to remember that when I get my bill.

Is it too early to talk about DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket promos?

I called got free AT200 HD free and Platinum free for a year plus discount. I don't understand the STARZ thing. STARZ cinema channel 353 is listed as being part of the platinum package. It's not in my guide, but I do have STARZ channel 9435 in red which I can't get. Are they different STARZ channels? Is STARZ 353 on a different satillite?

What bothers me is that I did call before and talk to Dish before the 1st and made arrangements for converting my absolutehd. I even wanted it converted before the deadline and was told that I had to wait until the feb. 1 before it took effect. When it did go into effect I did not get the Starz free like many others did. Not only did my service double by 30 dollars, I didn't get starz either. I have a been a customer for a long time and I am not happy, but the rep didn't seem to care. Gave me cinemax free for a month. What a joke!
Same here, they only offered 3 PPV coupons.

Absolute is now gone off my receiver's.:( Spoke to chat and they said i'll be getting an automatic credit of $20 off for the first 6 Months, $10 off the next 6 months. And then the normal free hd and platinum. It's now time to actually choose a package i like. Does anybody still have absolute programming on their receivers?

canceled, was great while it lasted, I don't think there is a better offering out there right now, I just can't justify the cost increase

the loyalty department didn't offer me $20 off for the first 6 months, in fact, you need to be careful if you are holding out because you are paid up through the end of feb. (like I was), basically your service is getting charged the new rate and when you get your new bill the additional charges will be added on starting from the forced switch

I finally got to that after pressing for details on canceling...and they are holding my payment because they are charging $15 for each return label, so everything will be pro-rated to cancel date with the "new" rate, they will subtract $15 per return label and then see if there is anything left over...which I doubt since hd absolute was such a great price :)

I called earlier to day to confirm the automatic credit, but because I was charged the same as everyone but didn't get locals, I wanted to get additional credits for that. I went on Chat, let them know that I didn't get the Starz, he added it to the account. To compensate for the 6 months of not getting locals when everyone else were getting them, he also added Encore for the year. (I'm still have Cinemax and the HD Platinum also with the AT200) I think I'm set for the next 6 months, but I'll definitely re-evaluate when the 6 months is up and I have to pay $10 per month more. I'm hoping that the Costco deal will be available then. I guess I'll be archiving a lot of movies too using my new Hauppauge 1212.

Aren't locals included in Dish's core packages now? For some reason, in my account, it now shows:

International Access - Locals
$10.00
DVR Service
$6.00
Service Plan
$6.00
HD 200 Free
$0.00
America's Top 200
$54.99
DISH Platinum - Free 12 Mo
$0.00
Brazilian: TV Globo
$19.99

Monthly Charges
$96.98

Why are locals more expensive if you have international channels?

Kb Cool said:
Does anybody still have absolute programming on their receivers?

I am still on Absolute. Looks like they are switching us one sub at a time...

If we who waited as told are not given the Starz offer it is another slap in the face.

Nowhere was it indicated that the Starz offer was ONLY for those who had a qualifying programming package BEFORE Feb. 1, the implication always was that we would be switched and included.

I do not particularly want Starz, I would not pay to have it on my account, but a promise is a promise.

Same here. I won't really miss not having something I didn't have before, but it does seem like Dish is saying it doesn't care about my business. I mean, I've been a good customer of theirs for several years. Does it really make a difference that I didn't change my programming a few days earlier? All I know is their refusal to give me the same perks they gave to others got me to seriously take a look at dumping Dish altogether, especially after Dish reps told many people to do exactly what I did, which was to wait until 2/1. At least with me, that advice was only hearsay. I didn't call in. I feel especially bad for people, like you, who did call in, were told firsthand by Dish to wait, and now are subsequently being penalized for doing so.

I am still on Absolute. Looks like they are switching us one sub at a time...

Maybe they will forget about you. It does look like the $20 dollar credit will apply to Dish America too. Heres a cut and paste of the programming change screen of my online account. $21.99 aint bad.:D Heck if i only had 1 receiver it would only be $14.99 for 6 months.

New Programming

One Time Charges & Credits 0.00
Monthly Charges 41.99
Dish America 34.99
HD Solo Receiver 7.00
DISH Platinum - Free 12 Mo 0.00
Monthly Credits -20.00
Cr: Programming $10x12 -10.00
Cr: Courtesy $10x6 -10.00
Monthly Charges & Credits 21.99
Amount Due Now 0.00
Paid 0.00

Today, my HD Absolute disappeared from my account programming and got replaced with AT200. So, I decided to go into my account and just choose to downgrade to Dish America. It's got all the channels that I ever watch frequently anyway, except NBA TV.

So here's the breakdown after the credits (Didn't even have to call in):

(Monthly Charges 40.99)
Dish America 34.99
DVR Service 6.00
DISH Platinum - Free 12 Mo 0.00

(Monthly Credits -20.00)
Cr: Programming $10x12 -10.00
Cr: Courtesy $10x6 -10.00

Monthly Charges & Credits 20.99

Not bad I guess for $20.99 first 6 months, and $30.99 6-12 months. Plus HD Platinum for 1 year. By the way, my account is also showing local channels as included for free.

After next February, I will then decide whether to keep it for $40.99 or cancel.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)