Losing Sleep over SHIVA!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rstokas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
As you can see from my other posts I am nervous about losing my DNS and what I could do if I lose it.

I had the hardest time getting 3 of the 4 DNS networks on.

*D messed up. I was granted NBC and called to reapply for the others. The guy reapplied me for all of them! therefore I lost my waiver. I immediatley spoke to a supervisor who said she could not get the granted status back but said she would put a note that I was granted and kept it on. I think I was granted because of the 30 day rule.

I later was granted CBS and called to reapply for ABC. guess what they did it again! Reapplied for all except CBS! Again they put a note for NBC that I was approved and the ame for CBS. They had to put "customer did not want" and then in the notes put I was approved. The supervisor also said I was eligible for ABC which I can not be true because I live in a big city. I was happy and took it.

So my official status is CBS approved, and NBC did not want "approved before in notes" and ABC turned on for what reason I don't know.

I was denied fox over and over. I want to reapply again but am afraid they will mess it up and 3 is better than none.

MY QUESTION is anyone have any idea what will happen to me after Jan. 1? I dont think SHIVA addressed a situation like mine!

rstokas said:
MY QUESTION is anyone have any idea what will happen to me after Jan. 1? I dont think SHIVA addressed a situation like mine!

I think you will be OK as long as you don't try to get FOX approved (as it sounds like D* won't do just FOX for you)

My question is, where do people keep coming up with Jan 1 as a cutoff date? I have read a lot of the legislation and nothing I read mentions this date. The ONLY reason I am mentioning this is that if you wake up on the 1st and still have it all, I don't think that means anything.

Almost everything I read mentions 60, 90 and 180 days after locals are available to the subscriber. The only specific date that I saw being mentioned was that for the most part, NEW waivers will not be applied after the date that the legislation is signed. (last month?) So if you didn't have waivers in place by then, no dice now.

The grandfathering issue is also ambiguous. As I posted in another thread, the legislation that was passed was merely changes to the existing Telecommunications Act (of 1934). It is impossible to tell what the true affect is without reading it IN CONTEXT, which I have not been able to find.

There is also verbage that your Sat supplier needs to notify you 30 or 60 days before disconnecting you (but without reading the full law, who knows it's context.)

So my point is, PLEASE try to not lose sleep over something that you have no control over. You are probably best to not try the waiver route with D* until this shakes out (mid 2005 or so). Enjoy what you have today.

rstokas said:
The supervisor also said I was eligible for ABC which I can not be true because I live in a big city. I was happy and took it.
SHVA or now SHVIA:

The size of your town or city has absolutely no barring on your qualification to get a DNS, in fact (not sure what city you are in) you might have a better chance of being in an owned & operated market by being in that big city, thus qualifying for DNS.

If I have read correctly, if you already have DNS services turned on you will have them "grandfathered" BUT if you change you package configuration you can very well lose them.

You can read about the original SHVA or the new SHVIA HERE.

chicago

Well I live in chicago so they really messed up. There is no way I should have ABC. On their computers I dont have a waiver, I just have it! So am I grandfathered? What about NBC ? It says I dont want it and have no waiver, but in the notes it says I do. Am I grandfathered?

I have waivers for all 4 networks. I got them between the time the bill was passed and signed.. I have read posts from people "in the know" that say I will not lose them, I will lose them tomorrow and some people say I will have to choose between local channels and distant ones. I figure what will happen will happen and there is not much I can do about it.. I get fox via cable anyway and the word here is the other 3 will be added soon..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts