Loss Of 129 Signal on WA 1K2 Dish

Bassplayer 1964

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
SW Virginia
I have just relocated and moved my equipment to the new place which I sort of suspected I would have troubles with due to trees,but after all was installed I had almost equal signal on all 3 sats.
After a couple of weeks with not being touched I have lost 129 altogether. In this "holler" where I live there are other working Dish installs on the Western Arc and they are all pointing at the same foliage I am.
I have tried masking out all but the 129 lnb on the triple with aluminum foil but I can't seem to get any response on 129 from the Hopper3 or my meters when I try to tune that lnb to 119. I have signal in the mid and upper 70's depending on the transponder but not a smell on 129. I can't understand the LNB just quitting on one sat but guess anything is possible. Has there been a failure record on these lnb assys that anyone is aware of.

I did installs for several years and ran into tough ones similar to this but never had this much problem straightening them out before! But then again I have been out of the loop for a few years also.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated as I would like to have some HD back in the new hut again :)

Regards,

Wayne

Assuming SW VA is your location from your profile. 129 is extremely low, it comes in at only 25 degrees on the horizon. Based on the description in your post it sure sounds like the foliage has blocked it.

If tree trimming or moving your dish to a location with a clear line of sight to 129 is not an option. You could get a dph ea twin lnb and re-point to 61.5 and 72.7. Those sats are more SE and come in much higher on the horizon.

Tri cities hd locals are on 129 the sd versions are on 110. If ota is not an option and you get locals through satellite a wing dish pointed to 110 would work in conjunction with an EA setup pointed at 61.5 & 72.7. All your programming except hd locals would work with this setup.

Before doing anything and avoiding aggravation it would be extremely worthwhile to verify line of site.

Thanks for the reply! It sounds like we are in agreement that the foliage is the culprit.Kinda odd that when I first completed the install the signal was OK but conditions can change, So it looks like by a quick site survey I "may" have a marginal shot at 61.5 and 72.7 on the EA for HD . Unfortunately I am located in a location surrounded on all sides my hills and mountains. Doesn't leave much of a clean shot for anything. I've still got to move my KU and Cband dishes and I'm guessing they will suffer as well. Thanks again for your suggestions!

You might try SatFinder lite app if you have a smartphone or tablet. It might verify line of site issues

Thanks for the reminder! I checked it with Dishpointer.com APP and according to it either way I go EA or WA there are obstacles roughly 163 feet out. I have Satfinder Lite on IOS and will give that a look soon as the phone charges.
But just the normal unaided look the EA approach looks clearer. I don't think I have any EA lnb's at all since I seldom installed one. I'll have a look at the old location and see if I have another 1K2 Dish as I know I used all the 1K4's I ever had. Looks like I'm gonna have to get a long piece of .500 cable and a hot air balloon LOL!
The cable I have and according to the wife plenty of hot air but no balloons :)
Thanks for the help!

Keep in mind the lowest eastern arc sat, 61.5, is at an elevation of about 40 degrees in SW VA, compared to about 26 degrees for the lowest western arc sat, 129. Those 14 degrees can make a world of difference between line of sight and no sight.

Reactions: JSheridan
At a 40 degree elevation, an obstruction 160 feet from the dish would need to be over 134 feet high to block the 61.5 sat. Remember, the LNB arm on the dish does not point at the satellites.

Reactions: Bassplayer 1964
Yeah that is what I am counting on actually. The obstruction on the EA side to me seems farther out than 160 because that would be almost to the end of my front yard or close to it and there is nothing there I can see. The mountain that is farther out would be the biggie but I'm hoping the look angle will skirt the top where the foliage is less dense. I really don't have a "good" path to anything here it all seems to be at best partially obstructed.
I've got a high band repeater for our use back at the old place and I'm betting the major modification will end up with 20 watts and a terrible time talking out of the hollow LOL!