Loss of Locals on 77w

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bajadude23

Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
ny
Dish has removed locals(Cincinnati) off of 77w. This will result in the loss of thousands of customers in the far 'south' for Dish Network. The will have no choice now except to go to Shaw. Does dish even care? I would think their investors care.

Dish has removed locals(Cincinnati) off of 77w. This will result in the loss of thousands of customers in the far 'south' for Dish Network. The will have no choice now except to go to Shaw. Does dish even care? I would think their investors care.
The Cincinnati locals are CONUS beamed on 72.7, so only those few that are using a side dish for 77 would need a repoint. Since the Cincinnati locals are also on the western arc in SD, I doubt there are "thousands" of subscribers affected.

If you read other threads related to moves on orbital slot 110°W, spare satellites, etc. The fact that they might have a reduced budget to launch more birds, you might understand more the reason of all these movements, that has nothing to do with affecting customers, but has all to do with providing the service in the intended zones best as posible with the resources they have.... optimization of their spectrum.
I understand that the different orbital slots give the advantage to feed customers with compromised LOS (line Of Sight) but that might be the price....bottom line the insides of the Dishnetwork operation will only be know by those who are employees, we're just spectators figuring out the moves.

Hello, bajadude23. For customers whose viewing of their local channels is affected by this change, we do have processes in place to either upgrade or relocate any equipment as needed at no cost and no commitment. Please
Chat in with us online at https://my.dish.com/support/contact. Our chat support team is available every day between 8am-midnight ET to help. You can also give us a call at 1-800-333-3474, if preferred.

Being discussed here:

As I mentioned in the other thread, subscribers "south of the border" who need the 77 satellite will need to use an address in one of the following markets in order to receive US network "local" service:
  • Lexington, KY
  • Casper, WY
  • Springfield, MO

Check your inbox plz..

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando SatelliteGuys

As I mentioned in the other thread, subscribers "south of the border" who need the 77 satellite will need to use an address in one of the following markets in order to receive US network "local" service:
  • Lexington, KY
  • Casper, WY
  • Springfield, MO
I updated one of my accounts that was originally in Louisville KY moved it to Lexington KY for the locals but that tier is not working,.. checking on uplink's website it still says those locals are in sat 77 tp1,.. but it seems they're not, does anyone know if they sent those to 72 just like the others? and what locals remain on 77 without SB ? thks.

checking on uplink's website it still says those locals are in sat 77 tp1,.. but it seems they're not, does anyone know if they sent those to 72 just like the others?
Locals of Lexinton, KY are not on 72.7°W they're @ S.B. 31s7 61.5°W & if you moved to the Lexinton, KY address and you won't get them, it means they're barely no locals anymore @ 77° W so you need signal from 61.5°W and most likely no signal from 77°W unless you need SD content.

Last edited:
Are you receiving programming on another satellite ?

77 can not transmit activation or address location changes. You have to have one of the other satellites running on your receiver to accept the address change.

I updated one of my accounts that was originally in Louisville KY moved it to Lexington KY for the locals but that tier is not working,.. checking on uplink's website it still says those locals are in sat 77 tp1,.. but it seems they're not, does anyone know if they sent those to 72 just like the others? and what locals remain on 77 without SB ? thks.
Lexington, KY and Springfield, MO are both being simulcast on 77 (CONUS) and 61.5 (spotbeam). If you have both satellites, it is possible that the spotbeam locals take priority over the CONUS ones. So, if you are outside the spotbeam, you would only get the signal loss message. At that point, the receiver would stop looking for them, and not find the CONUS versions on 77.

Casper, WY is exclusively on 77 (unless you have a mixed-arc setup that also includes 129). So, that market may be your best bet. As nelson61 said, you may also need signal from 72 and/or 61.5 [or maybe one of the Western Arc (110 or 119) satellites] for the receiver to properly get the programming authorization changed.

Reactions: loco502
Nelson61 and crodrules you guys are right, i realized i had to have one of the sats that could receive the address location change and stuff because it wasn't coming in through 61.5 or 77 so after lunch i added 119 to my setup and that allowed the hit to be received and locals from Lexington are now ON with my current Lexington KY address on sat 77 :cool:

77 can not transmit activation or address location changes. You have to have one of the other satellites running on your receiver to accept the address change.
Correct...I was assuming he had multiple lnb (1000.2; 1000.4; etc.), and not a single antenna (dish 300) aimed only to 77°W, if this was the case any person only aimed to 77°W will have a very limited guide.

Regards.

Lexington, KY and Springfield, MO are both being simulcast on 77 (CONUS) and 61.5 (spotbeam). If you have both satellites, it is possible that the spotbeam locals take priority over the CONUS ones. So, if you are outside the spotbeam, you would only get the signal loss message. At that point, the receiver would stop looking for them, and not find the CONUS versions on 77.

Casper, WY is exclusively on 77 (unless you have a mixed-arc setup that also includes 129). So, that market may be your best bet. As nelson61 said, you may also need signal from 72 and/or 61.5 [or maybe one of the Western Arc (110 or 119) satellites] for the receiver to properly get the programming authorization changed.
Nelson61 and crodrules you guys are right, i realized i had to have one of the sats that could receive the address location change and stuff because it wasn't coming in through 61.5 or 77 so after lunch i added 119 to my setup and that allowed the hit to be received and locals from Lexington are now ON with my current Lexington KY address on sat 77 :cool:
So, after all of that, Dish just removed the Lexington, KY locals from 77 today. :(
New Uplinks / Mappings – Channels Available
6826 UP6 added to 77° TP 1 (SD Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited) No EPG
Uplinks Removed

5150 WTVQ (36 HD Local) LEXINGTON, KY (ABC) removed from 77° TP 1 (HD Lexington, KY market Hidden)
5151 WKYT (27 HD Local) LEXINGTON, KY (CBS) removed from 77° TP 1 (HD Lexington, KY market Hidden)
5152 WLEX (18 HD Local) LEXINGTON, KY (NBC) removed from 77° TP 1 (HD Lexington, KY market Hidden)
5153 WDKY (56 HD Local) DANVILLE, KY (FOX) removed from 77° TP 1 (HD Lexington, KY market Hidden)
5155 WKLE (46 HD Local) LEXINGTON, KY (PBS) removed from 77° TP 20 (HD Lexington, KY market Hidden)
5156 WUPX (67 HD Local) MOREHEAD, KY (ION) removed from 77° TP 1 (HD Lexington, KY market Hidden)
5158 WLJC (65 HD Local) BEATTYVILLE, KY removed from 77° TP 1 (HD Lexington, KY market Hidden)
5169 WKLE (46 HD Local) LEXINGTON, KY (PBS) removed from 77° TP 20 (HD Lexington, KY market Hidden)
9209 WKYT2 (28 Local) LEXINGTON, KY (CW) removed from 77° TP 1 (SD MPEG4 Lexington, KY market Hidden)

My guess for these changes (the order has nothing to do with priority):
A.- Need more space for Dish Mexico service (Medcom Group 51% & Dish 49%).
B.- Dishnetwork agreement with Quetszat 1 ends by November 2021 (of course they could extend year by year as needed or until the Satellite expires).
C.- S.B. Capability (posted by nelson 61 in other thread "Echostar 23 is being relocated to 110°W as spare") Echostar 23 has the following configuration: Its communications payload consists of 32 Ku-Band transponders as well Ka- and S-Band payloads. Can't find that it's Spot Beam capable.

If this is true, they need to prepare for the expiration date of Echostar X (49 Spot Beam Capable) that might be due by 2/25/2022. They actually have even or close SB capability in east (EXVI & EXVIII@61.5°W) & west (EIV@ 119°W & EX@110°W) arc; After EX end of life they will have less SB capability in West arc. What I need to fit here is the reason of freeing CONUS TP's......

B.- Dishnetwork agreement with Quetszat 1 ends by November 2021 (of course they could extend year by year as needed or until the Satellite expires).
C.- S.B. Capability (posted by nelson 61 in other thread "Echostar 23 is being relocated to 110°W as spare") Echostar 23 has the following configuration: Its communications payload consists of 32 Ku-Band transponders as well Ka- and S-Band payloads. Can't find that it's Spot Beam capable.

If this is true, they need to prepare for the expiration date of Echostar X (49 Spot Beam Capable) that might be due by 2/25/2022. They actually have even or close SB capability in east (EXVI & EXVIII@61.5°W) & west (EIV@ 119°W & EX@110°W) arc; After EX end of life they will have less SB capability in West arc. What I need to fit here is the reason of freeing CONUS TP's......
Don't forget the space that Dish is leasing at the 129 slot, which also includes spotbeams. More space can be freed up there if needed. For example, Columbus, OH locals are taking up space on spotbeam on 129 in both HD and SD. So, all Dish would need to do is convert the entire Columbus, OH market to MPEG-4 capable equipment. Then, Dish could drop those SD feeds, freeing up space for another market if needed. (Maybe Zanesville, which currently has HD feeds only on Eastern Arc.) In turn, converting Zanesville to all MPEG-4 would free up spotbeam space at 119, where that market's SD feeds are currently located.

Don't forget the space that Dish is leasing at the 129 slot, which also includes spotbeams. More space can be freed up there if needed. For example, Columbus, OH locals are taking up space on spotbeam on 129 in both HD and SD. So, all Dish would need to do is convert the entire Columbus, OH market to MPEG-4 capable equipment. Then, Dish could drop those SD feeds, freeing up space for another market if needed. (Maybe Zanesville, which currently has HD feeds only on Eastern Arc.) In turn, converting Zanesville to all MPEG-4 would free up spotbeam space at 119, where that market's SD feeds are currently located.
No worries with Telesat, Loral has larger portion shares in Telesat, they (Dish) might even think in the future leasing more satellites from Telesat (Loral) preferred satellite manufacturer.......

Reactions: pattykay

ECHOSTAR 23 is a KU Conus satellite (no spot beams ). It can replace one or all of the Conus beams at 110W when needed.

Last edited:
ECHOSTAR 23 is a KU Conus satellite (no spot beams ). It can replace one or all of the Conus beams at 110W when needed.
Exactly, therefore I posted that: "Echostar X (49 Spot Beam Capable)". So when this happens (sometime between now and February 2022) they will loose 49 Spot Beams @ orbital slot 110° W; the moves might be to mitigate the loss.....

Reactions: pattykay