Lost CBS in HD, Southeast Alaska

mboron

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 6, 2005
Alaska
Just wondering if anyone was familiar with SE Alaska (Juneau) DMA? We have always gotten CBS KTNL, channel 5122 in HD. Now it's only SD for about a week. A real bummer because it was the only network we got in HD. Looked on the List and it only shows SD feed and didn't see anything in uplink reports. I haven't tried to call Dish this time, because my past experience is that no CSR ever knows anything about our tiny little neck of the woods.

I do not show any local channels in Juneau available in HD. You should get ALSKA, KJUD, KTNL, KJUD2, KJUD3, KTOO2, KATH, and KTOO but all in SD on the 110 satellite. Thanks.

Just wondering if anyone was familiar with SE Alaska (Juneau) DMA? We have always gotten CBS KTNL, channel 5122 in HD. Now it's only SD for about a week. A real bummer because it was the only network we got in HD. Looked on the List and it only shows SD feed and didn't see anything in uplink reports. I haven't tried to call Dish this time, because my past experience is that no CSR ever knows anything about our tiny little neck of the woods.

Good call on not calling DISH. :) I only see SD off of 110 via spotbeam to you. I also see nothing in the uplink report. Maybe Ray or someone from DIRT can find out more, I'm sure if you say it was in HD it was.

Did you try channel 2 or channel 13 instead of 5122? I see at another site (not listed here for some reason) that there was a mapdown change of this channels on July 30th but it only mentions SD. Possible something happened at that time.

I did some searching and do see some guide references to it be in HD on 5122 including still on the official channel list for your area, as you say the only one that is.(was)

One last thing, even though I don't see it in HD on the satellite, did you make sure you are getting all the satellites you are supposed to?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I get all the channels that Ray C pointed out and I have good signal on all satellites. It just appears that CBS HD disappeared without a trace. We have always gotten this channel in HD...worked with primetime and everything so I know I'm not dreaming. The networks in the Juneau DMA have always been beyond horrible for picture quality(they are rebroadcast from Anchorage) and CBS was the one bright spot. I guess it's back to horrible on all four now. Nothing like going backwards

Just ran across your post and very glad to see it. I first lost HD and now I have no CBS feed at all. I have contacted just about everyone I can think of and no answers. I have all the other channel on the local networks. I to live in Southeast Alaska. Sure would like some answers. I did call Sitka KTNL where the feed comes from and talked to them and haven't heard a word back. So still in limbo.

I have been told by dish people involved in getting locals that they will not put up individual networks in HD. According to source I talked to was mandated to them. Here in N.E. Missouri we do not have a NBC station so dish is allowed to bring in adjacent market NBC network from Kansas City. They have that net Available already in HD however They put it up in SD in our market. Anybody know of any other exceptions in Dish locals?

I asked for some info on that and what I got back was
"CBS (Ch. 2) in that area will be on 110, Transponder 4 and 26

I don't show a SD and HD listing, just 2 SD which will be Ch. 5122 and 9379."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)