OTHER Lost my receiver

shipman

Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
Rural
I need a new receiver for my C/Ku Chaparral co-rotor, the old one got misplaced during our move. The system is motorized. The dish is 3 meters or roughly 16'. The sheer variety of receivers out there is staggering; one hardly knows where to begin to spec out another HD FTA dual boot receiver with good firmware support. Any suggestions?

Ah, 3m is only 10feet? 16?

IIRC None of the current receivers on the market now will control a C/Ku co-rotor skew function.

Unless you swap out that C/Ku co-rotor LNB setup for a C/Ku combo LNBF you're married to the ASC-1 dish controller sold by Titanium or KE4ST, who are members on here. If you go the C/Ku combo LNBF route, which is around $60 from the same two members here you can use one of the "cheaper" dish controllers sold on fleabay. ASC-1 is a good piece but it's $175 and has the skew control for your co-rotor. The cheaper Motek or Vbox controllers will move the dish fine but won't control the skew but the C/Ku LNBF doesn't need that function.

So it's either $175 for an ASC-1 or $130 for a C/Ku LNBF and a Motek/Vbox dish controller. Then add the cost of the receiver. Either way you're probably looking at $250/275 to get going.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. Beware of the "cheapie" receivers sold on Ebay now! Although you can buy some of them as cheap as $25, remember you get what you pay for and some of those are hack boxes and are banned on this board. A Manhattan or Linkbox will probably be your best choice for both manufacturer firmware updates and tech support here.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigg t and KE4EST
Another receiver to consider is Icecrypt being sold by Rick's Satellite. I don't have one, but from what little I've read those that do seem to like it. Rick says that the company is working hard to provide North American support. If you are interested in a not so new box, and are willing to deal with Android, might look at the SAB Android I. I reviewed it here a while back. Would have to order from across the pond though. Neither one of these will address moving a BUD or polar rotor.

Do your research and Lone Gunman is giving good advice.

Ah, 3m is only 10feet? 16?

IIRC None of the current receivers on the market now will control a C/Ku co-rotor skew function.

Unless you swap out that C/Ku co-rotor LNB setup for a C/Ku combo LNBF you're married to the ASC-1 dish controller sold by Titanium or KE4ST, who are members on here. If you go the C/Ku combo LNBF route, which is around $60 from the same two members here you can use one of the "cheaper" dish controllers sold on fleabay. ASC-1 is a good piece but it's $175 and has the skew control for your co-rotor. The cheaper Motek or Vbox controllers will move the dish fine but won't control the skew but the C/Ku LNBF doesn't need that function.

So it's either $175 for an ASC-1 or $130 for a C/Ku LNBF and a Motek/Vbox dish controller. Then add the cost of the receiver. Either way you're probably looking at $250/275 to get going.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. Beware of the "cheapie" receivers sold on Ebay now! Although you can buy some of them as cheap as $25, remember you get what you pay for and some of those are hack boxes and are banned on this board. A Manhattan or Linkbox will probably be your best choice for both manufacturer firmware updates and tech support here.
I do not see anything in this response regarding receivers, which is the question I posted.

There is only one that I can see that fits your situation right now and that is the Linkbox 9000. It will not have polar-rotor control, as none provide that anymore, but it is a great box.
If you have descent OTA in your area you may consider the 9000 Local.
Both can be found at www.hypermegasat.com.

I do not see anything in this response regarding receivers, which is the question I posted.
Tell us what your lost receiver was, and what you expect a new receiver to be able to do!

Also, If we know what you are used to watching with your old setup, would be a big help!

How long since you used your old setup? If you were still paying for subscription services, you have a rude shock headed your way! They were talking about receivers!

I see that I need to check the history of anyone before I post anything! You are new to this! Did Rick Caylors E-Mail to you help you? Why did you open a new post on this site?

Any post to your older post becomes new news

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts