Lost NHLN

Dishlover

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
I have Absolute and just noticed the channel says subscription channel all of a sudden and is red. WTF!? I have had this channel since subscribing to Absolute when it was first offered.

Just today I saw a commercial that said the NHL channel was in all Silver and up DISH packages. I honestly cannot say that I have much sympathy for your lost channel though, as AbsoluteHD has been getting more new HD channels than the TurboHD packages -- and without any price hikes like the rest of us. I guess it's finally time to pay the piper...

Last edited:
Just wait until they start removing channels from your package. Isn't right.
GD right!! I just noticed it now as I am writing this and I am on chat with the agent. She keeps saying it all "subject to change" BS!!!!

Funny how none of the Absolute subs complained when a number of channels were mistakenly added to the package a few months ago.
:up Some AbsoluteHD subs just don't realize how good they have been getting it (and for quite some time). I guess they thought it was never going to end. :rolleyes:

get the sportspack

...oh wait, absolute can't get the sports pack!

As an absolute sub, it's a little worrisome but I'm still cool. Now, I loose HDNet Movies; I'd be a little more ticked...

I subbed to the absolute pack and became a dish sub about a year and half ago BECAUSE of the value HD only solution. I know that there are some upset that they can't still get the package, and think it's unfair that channels were still added last year, but pruning a grandfathered package is sure to open a huge can of worms.

Absolute subs can sign up for Center Ice though. (which includes the NHL Network in HD)

I know that there are some upset that they can't still get the package, and think it's unfair that channels were still added last year, but pruning a grandfathered package is sure to open a huge can of worms.
I don't think people are upset that people are getting a good deal. Absolute is awesome if the channel mix works for you and you can live without your RSN. What people get annoyed with is that without fail whenever Dish brings new HD channels online the Absolute subs are the first ones to open a thread about how Dish is screwing them for not adding more channels to the package. (one of the only packages that hasn't seen a price increase in 2 years while still getting channels added to it)

In this case, yeah it sucks that the NHL network was re-tiered, but this sort of thing happens from time to time. Channels get moved between packages and sometimes people lose a channel that they previously received, or sometimes they gain a channel that they previously did not. Overall it all works out in the end.

I agree pruning a grandfathered package is going to upset some people, but since the package has gone so long without any price increases (even while new HD channels were added) it's not like the subs really have much to complain about. I also switched to DISH specifically for the value of the HD only packages -- so I know where you are coming from -- but since I only did it a year ago I was only able to get into the TurboHD packages.

As an absolute sub, it's a little worrisome but I'm still cool. Now, I loose HDNet Movies; I'd be a little more ticked...

I subbed to the absolute pack and became a dish sub about a year and half ago BECAUSE of the value HD only solution. I know that there are some upset that they can't still get the package, and think it's unfair that channels were still added last year, but pruning a grandfathered package is sure to open a huge can of worms.

Yep, that was the same reason I signed up for Dish too. The day they decided to kick Absolute HD to the curb is the day they can send my phone call over to the cancellation department. If you can keep my bill the same and not remove any channels, I'll stay, otherwise paying that much for TV just isn't worth it to me.

EDIT: And apparently we don't have the correct channel tier on our receivers for the free preview tier that NHLN HD is in. Maybe it will come back after free preview is up. I probably wouldn't notice though since I don't have NBA or NHL channels in my favorite lists. Only sports you'll catch me watching is a little football that comes on OTA or ESPN.

:up Some AbsoluteHD subs just don't realize how good they have been getting it (and for quite some time). I guess they thought it was never going to end. :rolleyes:

Why are Absolute subs treated as second class subscribers? We didn't invent the package -- it was created by Dish and offered to everyone. If it didn't suit your needs, then fine. But I don't see any Absolute subs criticizing Silver/Gold/etc. subs for complaining about what Dish is doing to their packages.

If Dish wants to discontinue Absolute, then they should do so. But pulling existing channels from Absolute is not the proper way to get subs to change packages -- it is more likely to get them to change providers. I expected Absolute to end at some point, but I also expected Dish to phase it out properly, not water it down, with no notification of channels removed.

I don't care if they don't add any more channels and I don't watch the new ones they have added. I subscribed to Absolute for what it offered at the time, and if Dish is going to remove original channels from the package, then I will discontinue it. But this also means that I will be comparing other providers before I select a new package.

If Dish wants to discontinue Absolute, then they should do so. But pulling existing channels from Absolute is not the proper way to get subs to change packages -- it is more likely to get them to change providers. I expected Absolute to end at some point, but I also expected Dish to phase it out properly, not water it down, with no notification of channels removed.
Who said they're trying to get you to change packages? Why would you think Dish is out to get you?

They re-tiered a channel out of the package that you currently have -- this happens from time to time. Just look at channels that have been pulled in the past like Voom off Dish, or Versus off DirecTV, etc.

Channels come up from negotiation throughout the year, and that affects how things get tiered. It's just how the Pay TV industry works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts