Lost SWiM Connection message

bobinraymoremo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Raymore MO
I keep getting a 'lost SWim connection' message every once in a while. We live in an RV with a Winegard automatic satellite dish on the roof, a HR54 Genie in the living room and a mini-client in the bedroom. I mention RV because we are pretty much on our own for service.

I've made sure connections are tight and have only had to unplug/plug the SWiM once or twice. What usually happens is that we get the lost connection message but in a few seconds it goes away.

What would be the best thing to have on hand in case the plug/unplug trick doesn't work?

I keep getting a 'lost SWim connection' message every once in a while. We live in an RV with a Winegard automatic satellite dish on the roof, a HR54 Genie in the living room and a mini-client in the bedroom. I mention RV because we are pretty much on our own for service.

I've made sure connections are tight and have only had to unplug/plug the SWiM once or twice. What usually happens is that we get the lost connection message but in a few seconds it goes away.

What would be the best thing to have on hand in case the plug/unplug trick doesn't work?
What do you mean by "unplug/plug the swim"? Do you mean the power inserter?

Sounds like you may have an issue with the power inserter then. Perhaps the outlet is sketchy.

The HR54 has a built-in power inserter so you don't need a separate one. Remove the p;ower inserter, maks sure the power pass connection from the HR54 goes to the dish, and see if the problem goes away.

Reactions: Jimbo
The HR54 has a built-in power inserter so you don't need a separate one. Remove the p;ower inserter, maks sure the power pass connection from the HR54 goes to the dish, and see if the problem goes away.
Good call, I forgot the 54 has a built in pi.

I want to make sure I do this right. Should I shutoff Genie, unplug power inserter, disconnect two coax cables from power inserter, connect two cables together, turn on Genie.

Is this right?

I want to make sure I do this right. Should I shutoff Genie, unplug power inserter, disconnect two coax cables from power inserter, connect two cables together, turn on Genie.

Is this right?
Disconnect the power inserter and connect straight from the dish to the HR54.

Sorry, I forgot about the client. Go from the dish to the input of the splitter, then from the power passing port to the HR54, and from the other port on the splitter to the client.

Reactions: Jimbo
I havea black box (SWM ODU Only) with 2 coax connections (Power to SWM & Signal to IRD). Signal to IRD coax goes to Splitter where the output goes mini-client and the other goes to HR54.

Sorry for being obtuse, this setup was in the RV when we bought it. All I've got is what I described in a very small overhead cabinet with cables everywhere. Is the cable that goes to Power to SWM the one that comes from the dish?
Yes, that's the one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)