"Lost" - timing

jkinghome

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
Recorded "Lost" last night, I have my timers set to begin and end exactly on time 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm (because using a begin/end buffer will conflict with other shows I am recording). I used to do exactly the same on my Directv Tivo, without any problems.

Anyhow, the recording cut short - Arrgh!

Looked at the time line on the recording at the bottom of the screen and it said the end was only 59mins - is this right?

Anyone else get Lost cut off last night?

Had this problem last week, sort-of... Normally I record Lost and Invasion (which is right after Lost). Lost has run over a minute or two many times in the past, but since I recorded the show that was right after it too, I could just see the ending minute on the next recording. BUT, there was no Invasion last week and sure enough, Lost went over, so I missed the last minute or so. To be fair, the 942 is doing exactly what I programmed it to do (end right on time). I am not sure why Lost goes over so often, but I went ahead and padded the recording to end 2 minutes later so this doesn't happen again (I haven't watched last nights Lost yet, so we will see if it worked).

While on the topic, when I decided to add the extra 2 minutes to the timer, I couldn't just edit it - I had to totally recreate it (and set priority again). I would think there would be an easier way to edit the timers - did I miss something?

pacman said:
Had this problem last week, sort-of... Normally I record Lost and Invasion (which is right after Lost). Lost has run over a minute or two many times in the past, but since I recorded the show that was right after it too, I could just see the ending minute on the next recording. BUT, there was no Invasion last week and sure enough, Lost went over, so I missed the last minute or so. To be fair, the 942 is doing exactly what I programmed it to do (end right on time). I am not sure why Lost goes over so often, but I went ahead and padded the recording to end 2 minutes later so this doesn't happen again (I haven't watched last nights Lost yet, so we will see if it worked).

While on the topic, when I decided to add the extra 2 minutes to the timer, I couldn't just edit it - I had to totally recreate it (and set priority again). I would think there would be an easier way to edit the timers - did I miss something?

Lost goes over every week to get you to watch the next show. When Lost ends at 10:05 it's usually an extended episode which the EPG always has the ending time correctly at 10:05.

To catch the regular episodes that end at 10:01 pad the show am extra minute or 2.

For those recording invasion and have a dual tuner DVR, this is how I record Lost (all 61 minutes) and Invasion with no show overlap.

Record Lost on your regular mapped channels (Channel 8 in my area) and then set a timer for Invasion on the 9000 block channels where your locals are.

This will make sure that Lost records all 61 minutes with none of it spilling over into Invasion. This also works for Desparate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy.

gbjbany said:
My wife was pissed when she thought we missed the end ! but i recorded evidence too on my 510 , lucky me !:D

Yeah, I learned my lesson. But why doesn't the DVR automatically change the end time if it is known that is going to run 5 mins late?

My wife was really pissed too, especially that we just came from Directivo (for 3 years) to cable to dish in the space of 4 weeks.

Her comment? "I miss Tivo!" . Here I go to the dog house...

i always dvr lost, and never watch it live, coz frankly the show's only got about 30 mins of actually content, it's so ssssslllloooooowwwww.
There's another thread discussing all this right now too, but basically the dvr will only record what the program guide says and whoever provides dish with the program guide is not say end 9:02 or whatever.
Someone else pointed out it's to get you to watch the next show, hate to say it - it's not working, im recording evidence , but havent watched a single episode yet, too much other stuff to watch before my 622 arrives !! :)

I think ABC does it to "punish" us for using PVRs and skipping their advertisers that pay them. But I don't care. I'll just stop watching their shows all together.

gbjbany said:
i always dvr lost, and never watch it live, coz frankly the show's only got about 30 mins of actually content, it's so ssssslllloooooowwwww.

30 minutes of actual content? Have you been watching since Season 1? Every second has something hidden somewhere in it...but I digress.

ABC is the biggest culprit when it comes to running stuff "super sized." Although I hate that NBC starts ER at 9:59 since Thursday is my busiest DVR night. I ended up just setting the Office to conclude 60 minutes later at 11:00 so the 2 shows just run together.

Do you think that JJ Abrams will tell us what this show means by the time a series finally comes? I think it will be on the air for a long time (like Alias), but shows like this always come to an end eventually.

Personally, I don't like Lost (I never liked Alias either), because they don't give enough of the story away in one episode. I don't have enough patience to sit through weeks and weeks of episodes just to find out one little fact. I think the show is called Lost because that's what the viewers are when they get done watching it.

ChetK said:
Personally, I don't like Lost (I never liked Alias either), because they don't give enough of the story away in one episode. I don't have enough patience to sit through weeks and weeks of episodes just to find out one little fact. I think the show is called Lost because that's what the viewers are when they get done watching it.

I guess it's one of those things where one man's garbage is another man's treasure. I love being given tiny little pieces and then going back to my DVD's and DVR episodes and spending the week trying to put the puzzle together. I've had some great conversations about books and philosophies that have been mentioned on the show as well.

After every episode I turn to my wife and say, "Why can't every show be this good!" But, as they say, Different strokes.

Weezknight said:
I guess it's one of those things where one man's garbage is another man's treasure. I love being given tiny little pieces and then going back to my DVD's and DVR episodes and spending the week trying to put the puzzle together. I've had some great conversations about books and philosophies that have been mentioned on the show as well.

After every episode I turn to my wife and say, "Why can't every show be this good!" But, as they say, Different strokes.

That's very understandable, but the flashbacks are becoming very tiresome especially for the characters that already had about 3 or 4.

What was the point of Hurley's second flashback, and Sun and Kim's third flashback (where Kim was a doorman)?

No more Kate, Jack, Sun/Kim, Charlie, and Locke flashbacks!!!!