Lots of News from Team Summit

External Hard Drive question

I've been reading about the External hard drive and had a few questions I haven't seen answered yet.

If I record to the 622 and them dump it to the external hard drive.

It's now gone off the 622 correct?

Now if I send the recording from the external back to the 622 it's now gone off the external?

I'm wondering if I have the abilitly to record the same HD recording to two seperate external hard drives. Mainly as a precaution in case the external might go bad at some point. I'd like to have two external hard drives with the same HD recordings.
Is this possible? or allowed by DISH?

And the other question is will the recordings stored on that external hard drive only play back with the specific DVR I made the original recording on. If my DVR is replaced can I hook the external hard drive to the other HD DVR (newer models with MPEG4) and play my HD recordings from the external drive. What happens if my DVR goes back are my HD recordings on the external drive now lost forever?

Thanks, BJF

I HOPE we see this - THIS year but chances are we might not see it this year. Would give me a good reason to finally go the 622 route seeing that they dropped the price for the lease on these.

I have another question regarding the 118 sat.
Will they be moving most/all the internationals and HD channels to
this satellite.

For those who can't get 61.5 or 129 good it would be great.
And it's a one dish setup with the new 4 lnb dish.

Thanks, BJF

The internationals yes, only some local HD DMA's will go to this satellite (at least at this time).

A lot of people have been saying that it would have made more sense to put their core HD content on 118.7

You MOVE the recordings from internal to external. They can not be in 2 places at once. So you can't move it to an external, hook up another external and move it again. That would be copying, and that's not what we can do. We can have a recording in 1 place at a time...

Scott, would you really want to join the mile high club when your only company is a dish exec???

Anyone else wish scott was sat-casting some audio from these guys? It would be nice to hear what they stumble over or have to re-word a few times before it's quotable by scott...

Purogamer said:
You MOVE the recordings from internal to external. They can not be in 2 places at once. So you can't move it to an external, hook up another external and move it again. That would be copying, and that's not what we can do. We can have a recording in 1 place at a time...

I think he meant record it once to dvr. Then move to external HDD. Then record again on dvr. Then move that 2nd recording to another (different than the first) external HDD.

I'm wondering if I have the abilitly to record the same HD recording to two seperate external hard drives. Mainly as a precaution in case the external might go bad at some point. I'd like to have two external hard drives with the same HD recordings.

Well, I don't think he's talking about moving it back and forth freely, he wants to have multiple copies of a program, and there's no way he can do that.

If he's talking about having 2 externals, and recording it twice just to do this redundant backup, then I see no reason why you couldn't do such a thing. Dish has no reason to only allow 1 external driver per receiver...

Purogamer said:
Well, I don't think he's talking about moving it back and forth freely, he wants to have multiple copies of a program, and there's no way he can do that.

If he's talking about having 2 externals, and recording it twice just to do this redundant backup, then I see no reason why you couldn't do such a thing. Dish has no reason to only allow 1 external driver per receiver...

Now I'm not sure what he meant. I'm not even sure what I meant:D .

I do know it's hard to accomodate the innocent desire to just have a personal archive (including backups) of programs (which is and certainly should be legal) but still inhibit the ability to make multiple copies that "could" be (and are) used for illegal purposes.

Personally I think if they could somehow tie an "electronic signature" to any copies made, the problem would be solved. If technology could somehow guarantee that all copies could be traced back to their origin, the whole issue of piracy goes away.

Then we're left with what this is really all about. Most of Hollywood believes that they should be compensated each and every time someone views their work and anything short of that (in their opinion) is stealing.

Scott Greczkowski said:
So are you saying I'd be smart to wait to sign up for DishHD on July 1st?

Only if you are a new Dish Network customer

What would be the benifits to waiting? Right now the $199 622 and $200 off your bill over the next 10 months is a pretty good offer. Is the new offer going to be that much better?

Scott have they said yet what are going to be the next cities inline to get their Locals In HD??

I am curious if the external hard drive will be married to just one 622. I have two 622's and would like the ability to move a recorded program from one DVR to the other thru use of the USB external drive.

A better solution for me would be the ability to network the DVR's into my home network and move programing from one DVR to the other via wireless network in the same manner that TiVo allows.

But the external drive to move programing for viewing on a DVR other than the one it was oriiginally recorded is a workable solution for the time being.

bjf said:
If I record to the 622 and them dump it to the external hard drive.

It's now gone off the 622 correct?

Correct, this is a requirment from the content providers.

Now if I send the recording from the external back to the 622 it's now gone off the external?
Correct again.

Is this possible? or allowed by DISH?
Not possible, the content providers are very strict on this, and nothing Dish can do about it.

And the other question is will the recordings stored on that external hard drive only play back with the specific DVR I made the original recording on. If my DVR is replaced can I hook the external hard drive to the other HD DVR (newer models with MPEG4) and play my HD recordings from the external drive. What happens if my DVR goes back are my HD recordings on the external drive now lost forever?

Thanks, BJF
I will ask this one today.

Scott, any more info you can glean about RSN-HD carriage would be great, I currently cannot see my local teams in HD from any source, at any cost here in SF because my particular Comcast system does not have room for the channel(INHD-FSNBA-HD) and Comcast has an exclusive on carriage, so no sat carriage.

Much appreciated. :)

External HDD - Move/Delete Only:

For much of Dish's content this is really kinda silly. If you want an extra copy of Sopranos just record it again (from the sat feed), after you move the first one to the external HDD.

Scott Greczkowski said:
In addition I sat down and talked with Echostar President Mark Jackson today you would be really interested in hearing what he has to say about VOOM and HD Lite.

Scott, did you already give us this info and I missed it? I guess its still morning in Denver, so maybe I'm too anxious! :D

With the dual tuner receivers, couldnt you record the show twice at the same time? This would put two copies onto the hard drive and you could move one to the external while keeping the other on the receiver.

Also I wonder if there would be a way to get the shows from the external hard drive to the PocketDish. How about being able to take the external hard drive anywhere you go and connect it to the PocketDish to playback on the PocketDish or television that is hooked up to the PocketDish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)