Lots of News from Team Summit

I know that if you enter some fields in the menu, you are automatically transfered to channel 100 and it takes you forever to get out of the channel.

FunkyBoss said:
Channel 100 is probably second in my house since my kids are always hitting buttons on the remote and launching that damn channel. :devil:

Aand if someone called you taking a survey of the 5 most watched channels on Dish, do you really think anyone would mention it?

I smell BS. Wouldnt be the first time....won't be the last time.

Someone has to call Dish on their BS though. It just continues and continues.

John Kotches said:
Do you know how that figure is determined? It's very educational to learn the process of calculating these MTBFs.

Guess what the #1 hardware failure is with computers? Hard Drives. Always will be.

Also consider 1) the duty cycle as well as 2) the operating temperature assumed when coming up with that MTBF figure.

The reality is, those of us with multiple TB arrays (20+ hard drives) for archiving HDTV experience regular drive failures unless you take steps to address the two items I listed above.

If you assume a symmetric bell-shaped curve so that the mean and median are approx. the same, a five year MTBF and twenty hard drives means that you'd expect ten hard drive failures in five years. That's significant.

If dish started calling me to ask what 5 channels I watched most, I'd download a comcast channel guide and read off 5 channels off of it...

If they called back, i'd ask to be transferred to the cancellation department...

BuddyBoy said:
Also consider 1) the duty cycle as well as 2) the operating temperature assumed when coming up with that MTBF figure.

The reality is, those of us with multiple TB arrays (20+ hard drives) for archiving HDTV experience regular drive failures unless you take steps to address the two items I listed above.

If you assume a symmetric bell-shaped curve so that the mean and median are approx. the same, a five year MTBF and twenty hard drives means that you'd expect ten hard drive failures in five years. That's significant.

Yes, but experience tells us it's not a symmetric bell shaped curve. I wish everything worked like the pretty graphs we had in statistics class.

You have a rash of infant mortalities, then you get into a long stretch where very few units fail. Then at some point, I guess I'll call it the "failure zone" and more than one or two intermittent units start to fail again. Then it really spikes when the "magic date" arrives. The "magic date" is the expiration of warranty ;)

Cheers,

FunkyBoss said:
Channel 100 is probably second in my house since my kids are always hitting buttons on the remote and launching that damn channel. :devil:

My wife hits that button accidentally quite often as well. :)

The 612 has caught my attention. This is exactly what I've been waiting for. I've got an 811 (DHA) but would like to move to a DVR. The recent price drops on the 622 have been tempting, but simplifying price and function by forgoing the 2nd output would be great. Is there any idea of when this might be made available, Scott?

Also, are there any more details available on the Dish Loyalty program?

I haven't been entirely happy with Dish with regards to availabilty of a single tv HD-DVR, so both of these are good news, IMO.

I wonder if they can get the 612 price down to what the cost of a 625 is. If so then they could offer an upgrade to the 612 and 625 for the same price. Most consumers only have one HD television if they have any at all at this time and this would suffice as an HD solution until these HD receivers come down in price more.

From my point of view, the 612 is ideal, because my only tv is my hdtv. With the 612, I'm not paying for features that would otherwise go unused.

Tough thing is, I haven't seen any indication of when this might be made available (it would seem soon, since its basically a simplified 622), while the price on the 622 has dropped and is very tempting. I'll continue to wait in hopes of seeing the 612 soon, but it won't be easy!

I, too, am waiting for the 612. I need both tuners on the HD DVR so it'd be pointless for me to pay for TV2 output capability when I won't even need/want to use that. If the 612 were to come out today, it'd of course be somewhere between the retail price of 211/411 of $275 and the 622 of $499 retail cost, probably around $400 or so.

Can the 622 do 2 SAT HD feeds in?

Example recording HD Game on ESPN, and recording something on HD Starz at the same time?

Or is it just 1 HD Sat Tuner, 1 SD Tuner, and 1 OTA Tuner?

Kaydigi said:
Can the 622 do 2 SAT HD feeds in?

Example recording HD Game on ESPN, and recording something on HD Starz at the same time?

Or is it just 1 HD Sat Tuner, 1 SD Tuner, and 1 OTA Tuner?

Yes, the 622 can do 2 HD recordings at once. Actually, the 622 can do THREE HD feeds at once, which I've done on several occasions, using both of the 622's satellite tuners while also recording an OTA hi-def feed.

So yes, your example above is definitely doable.

You push the dish home button the same amount as every other button, if it was the same type of button, it would ignore the slight touch of it. But since it just slides down and triggers a remote command with the slightest touch, we use dish home...

There's no other button i've accidently pressed besides dish home. I actually have to push down the other buttons to get them to work, dish home I just have to look at it funny and it goes down...

BTW, any news on the fight network? Did I miss a mention of it??

EvilEuro said:
Yes, the 622 can do 2 HD recordings at once. Actually, the 622 can do THREE HD feeds at once, which I've done on several occasions, using both of the 622's satellite tuners while also recording an OTA hi-def feed.

So yes, your example above is definitely doable.

Thanks

I don't understand the hype over the 612 if the 622 does the same thing in single mode.

Kaydigi said:
Thanks

I don't understand the hype over the 612 if the 622 does the same thing in single mode.

A simpler and chaper receiver, for those who don't need 2 outputs.

That said, is it true that the 612 isn't even going to arrive this year? That may be a dealbreaker for me. I don't intend to wait that long...

Scott Greczkowski said:
So are you saying I'd be smart to wait to sign up for DishHD on July 1st?

Only if you are a new Dish Network customer
I read through the first 10 pages and didn't see an answer to this so...

So new customers get these great deals on the DishHD packs, but if I were to upgrade from my 942 to a leased 622, and sign up for one of the DishHD packs I wouldn't get the same deal?

That sucks! If I were to get the same deal on the DishHD packs, I would upgrade in a heartbeat. but if not, It's very unlikely that I will.

RobertsD said:
I read through the first 10 pages and didn't see an answer to this so...

So new customers get these great deals on the DishHD packs, but if I were to upgrade from my 942 to a leased 622, and sign up for one of the DishHD packs I wouldn't get the same deal? ...
I thought on the Charlie Chat it was shown that you can upgrade your 942 to a 622 for $200 less ten months credit at $10/month less $100 when they get the 942 back.

You get the upgrade for $0.