Lots of questions...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trparky

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 10, 2015
Cleveland, OH
I just got one of these DirecTV Genie setups and I can't figure some things out.

For one, how do I know if I'm going to have a recording conflict? Does the DVR tell me? Or will I just have a missing recording? When will it tell me if I have a recording conflict? Will it tell me as I'm trying to schedule the sixth recording?

When it comes to picking sports teams and telling it to record games with my favorite team in it I noticed that it was trying to schedule games on channels I don't receive as part of my channel line up. Will the DVR know not to schedule on that channel when there's other channels that I do get that have the same game being broadcasted on it?

What is the bitrate for DirecTV VOD content? Is it the same as a live feed? Why is some VOD content only in Standard Definition?

I had my dish professionally installed. With that being said, how much wind can a dish take until it loses its alignment?

Conflict handling is very good. It will tell you every step of the way.

In my experience it will indeed try to record channels you don't get unless you tell it otherwise. Not sure how to handle that with the team thing.

VOD is typically not what I would call stellar in terms of bitrate, quality or content. It's pretty useless IMO. I've had VOD for 20 years on various systems and can count on one hand the number of times I've used it. If you're legally blind and have very low standards for entertainment, you might like it.

What it can take depends on a lot of factors. Mine has made it through several tropical storms without issue. But mine is essentially bolted to a solid structure. If you used u-bolts, they could slip, nuts can loosen due to temperature changes, poles can move depending on how deep they are in the ground and how hard the soil is around them. Cross that bridge when you come to it.

I just got one of these DirecTV Genie setups and I can't figure some things out.

For one, how do I know if I'm going to have a recording conflict? Does the DVR tell me? Or will I just have a missing recording? When will it tell me if I have a recording conflict? Will it tell me as I'm trying to schedule the sixth recording?

When it comes to picking sports teams and telling it to record games with my favorite team in it I noticed that it was trying to schedule games on channels I don't receive as part of my channel line up. Will the DVR know not to schedule on that channel when there's other channels that I do get that have the same game being broadcasted on it?

What is the bitrate for DirecTV VOD content? Is it the same as a live feed? Why is some VOD content only in Standard Definition?

I had my dish professionally installed. With that being said, how much wind can a dish take until it loses its alignment?
Yes -- on sixth recording, it will explicitly let you know via on-screen validation message. However, I would recommend that this would rarely occur, even with a situation such as when we encounter myself, my wife, and two kids in the house that all have different preferences for programs.

Typically, when recording a program, it's going to record on whatever channel you've set for that program to record on. So, if it's a specific local station, only that station will be recorded for that time frame.

While I'm not sure of the technical bitrate for VoD content, if you're picking up for example network shows from 24 - 48 hours past, they seem to only come across in SD. However, any movies will be downloaded per whatever format you selected when renting that movie (DirecTV supports both HD and SD formats).

I hope this helps!

Yes -- on sixth recording, it will explicitly let you know via on-screen validation message. However, I would recommend that this would rarely occur, even with a situation such as when we encounter myself, my wife, and two kids in the house that all have different preferences for programs.

Typically, when recording a program, it's going to record on whatever channel you've set for that program to record on. So, if it's a specific local station, only that station will be recorded for that time frame.

While I'm not sure of the technical bitrate for VoD content, if you're picking up for example network shows from 24 - 48 hours past, they seem to only come across in SD. However, any movies will be downloaded per whatever format you selected when renting that movie (DirecTV supports both HD and SD formats).

I hope this helps!

I think the OP was referring to the season/team pass recording. I find the way you mentioned to be the only way to record a team properly.
If you want to record all of the Celtics games (for example), go to ch 630 and press R then info and do the season record from there. Be sure to select live and add the extension. It seems to only record the CSN New England feed of the team from watching at it for a couple days whereas recording from the sports menu records from anywhere and can be blacked out. Just my experience, not sure if everyone's works the same.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)