Low cost replacement for VIP722k?

Okay, I'm intrigued.

So for the Wally from 722k with EHD (just have the 722k, no other receivers), the following is true (assuming you hook an EHD to Wally)?
  • The Good
    • Interface isn't based on 1990s tech
    • Better On Demand Access
    • Dish Anywhere to another TV, as long as you have Fire Stick (not Roku)
    • Apps (but that isn't really a selling point)
  • The Nothing Changed
    • Still have two Dish tuners.
    • With OTA dongle, have two OTA tuners (and can fry eggs on it).
    • Still have a $7 equipment fee
  • The Bad
    • Lose 2 TB of programming on my 722k EHD.

Dish Anywhere to another TV, as long as you have Fire Stick (not Roku)
Dish Anywhere live streaming from the receiver requires Sling (as in Hopper With Sling or Hopper 3). The streaming and On Demand content that you could access from the Dish Anywhere app (or website) with a Wally is the same content that would already be available to you with your current receiver.

With OTA dongle, have two OTA tuners (and can fry eggs on it).
The newer Air TV dual-tuner USB OTA adapter runs much cooler than the older (but smaller) infamous Hauppauge dual-tuner USB OTA adapter.

Still have a $7 equipment fee
If both TV's can watch the same programming, there is no equipment fee for a single Wally. If you want independent programming on a second TV, that would require a second Wally. If that Wally is purchased, the equipment fee is only $5 (or $7 for a leased one).

Thanks. That deflates that then.
I forgot to add that the $40 upfront DVR activation fee applies to both Wally receivers (or as many Wally as Dish will allow on a single account). If you ask the Loyalty department nicely, they will often waive that $40 fee entirely. Sometimes, they will even waive it without you even asking for it to be waived. ;)

And that EHD on a 722 is not transferable to a Wally. The Wally would need to format the drive and everything you might have on it will be lost.

Reactions: pattykay
And that EHD on a 722 is not transferable to a Wally. The Wally would need to format the drive and everything you might have on it will be lost.
True, but Yespage already knew that in post number 26. The response was that my reply (post number 27) was what deflated it. I assumed it was the part about the fee for the second Wally, but it could have been something else.

FireTV does have the app. But I don't think any version of Roku devices have this.

Yup. I thought there were some more recent Roku's where they fixed this disadvantage. But if so, I never understood which devices would work with DishAnywhere.
DISH anywhere app isn't available in the Roku apps. I checked again last week.

Do you still have that first ViP722k with the failed hard drive? If so, and if you would feel comfortable opening it up and replacing the hard drive, I have a spare hard drive that I salvaged from my old ViP722k. I would be happy to send it to you, so you can try to fix your old ViP722k.

Keep in mind that those Hopper Duos also use refurbished hard drives from old ViP722k receivers. That was part of the appeal for Dish to manufacture the Hopper Duo in the first place, since they could do so at low cost, without needing to purchase a bunch of new hard drives to go in them.

With a Hopper Duo, your DVR fee will likely increase, if you had been grandfathered at the $7 rate for your ViP722k. Hopper Duo DVR fee is $10.

The remote for the Hopper Duo will work in another room. Dish will likely require a tech visit.

There is no monthly fee for the first Wally. If you would like to purchase one, I may be able to make you a deal this weekend.
Hi - I was reading your response on this thread. I have a leased ViP722K with a hard drive failure 311. I purchased a compatible hard drive and want to replace it. Would you happen know when I can find step-by-step instructions for formatting it once it's installed? Also, even though it old (2011), since it's leased, should I be concerned if I try this and end up still needing to get an upgrade that DN will see I was inside the box? Thanks

Hi - I was reading your response on this thread. I have a leased ViP722K with a hard drive failure 311. I purchased a compatible hard drive and want to replace it. Would you happen know when I can find step-by-step instructions for formatting it once it's installed? Also, even though it old (2011), since it's leased, should I be concerned if I try this and end up still needing to get an upgrade that DN will see I was inside the box? Thanks
Dish will replace your 722. We still do that, if they just need a service call. I know they will mail them out, too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Latest posts