Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
I bloody LOVE RetroTV again !
They are on KU again and the picture quality is really decent, again.

The content is improving and there are more legit commercials and less of the parasite lawyer/lawsuit BS.

And now they are showing CLASSIC Doctor Who !!! OMG! I am totally loving this!
Every night and on Saturdays they run the very early ones with Hartnell.

Thank you Retro TV for making a great comeback !

I also noted that about the commercials. good to see something different.
Good it came back to Ku, that they also have One Step Beyond and the old Dragnet.

Yes. While I despise commercials and ads, I had to assume that because they are advertising for real stuff and not those generic lawsuit garbage they went with for years that they obviously have real sponsors now and this should help boost the network. And with better shows they could reclaim lost audience. Saturday nights seem to have been upgraded as well. While I sort of like that Offbeat Cinema, they always air public domain movies that you can download from Archive.org for free, legally. And they run waaaaaaaay too many commercials during Offbeat Cinema for niche BS things that are local to wherever those guys are. Anyway.. It's good to see them working to rebuild things.
I remember the day when they were THE station on my FTA list. I watched them like 50% of my waking hours. It's so awesome they are back on KU!!! How cool is that??!!

So let us hope that things keep getting better. I wish them well and good luck.

Yep it´s good, especially for those of us who don´t have C band capability. When Luken pulled its three channels off Ku, I had to say goodbye.

It´s probably not the best programming they´ve ever had, but it sure looks like an improvement from the last days RTV was on Ku on AMC 9.

Here you have a couple of programming schedules from 2009 and 2010 to go down memory lane.

mmm... as soon as I find the attach option.

Attachments

• RTN Schedule 1 quarter 2009.pdf
    59.3 KB · Views: 203
  • RTV-National 2Q 2010.pdf
    48 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: Dee_Ann
When I first began to try out this crazy hobby there was a TON of great stuff up there. I came in right at the tail end of the Equity & White Springs days.
I struggled with it because of the severe drought, all the poles were loose and I had big time tree problems plus I was brand new to it and had no clue what I was doing.

RTV or whatever they went by in the day was my mainstay. I was able to get a dish locked on 83 that was solid in the ground so it was reliable. They had soooooooo much great stuff on there!
The picture quality was really awesome too. But then they began to have financial issues (Luken spending on yachts and golf courses rather than paying his bills) and things began to really slide downhill.
It got so bad that I completely quit watching RTV/RTN/RetroTV, for like 2 years I really couldn't be bothered to even check to see what was on.

Now, they have me back. I watch RetroTV at least 5 nights a week and on Saturdays too. And I watch PBJ every day (Harveytoons)..

I have been trying to spread the word in the Whovian circles that Retro is airing the classic episodes. I think that was a bold move for them to take up this series but it could be the thing that saves their butt.
They need to get onto more sub channels around the country now. Maybe now with better content TV stations will give them a serious consideration.

One thing that really burns me is that there is some jackleg outfit running a SCAM with the SHABBY rip off station KUMY. It's supposed to be a low power but it's running on flashlight batteries and it's still running analog which is illegal. It is such a shoddy, shabby signal that you can't get anything but static and most newer TV's won't tune it in at all because it's analog. It's actually being run out of a shabby warehouse in a very BAD part of town in Beaumont, Texas. http://goo.gl/maps/rNzPv Go check out the street view in google maps, their "studio" is at 1280 Bowie St. Beaumont, TX 77701 and believe me, it's a very, very bad and dangerous part of Beaumont. Want to get murdered and left in a field, never to be found? The area around their "studio" is the perfect place for that.

KUMY appears to have changed to a Spanish language station but they still have some sort of hold or lock on RetroTV that is preventing anyone else locally from picking up the network and retransmitting it PROPERLY.
I'm thinking about filing a complaint with the FCC about the illegal operation of KUMY and contacting Luken to see if they can make KUMY relinquish their hold on it locally.

Check out the pictures of the KUMY (ILLEGAL) "studio"...

One picture is of what appears to be a microwave link which I believe is aimed at the Petroleum Building which has a low power broadcast antenna that is shared by a few other stations.

You know, if I had the money I would just do it myself. I know I could do a better job than those idiots. And do it legally.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 11.00.38 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 11.00.38 AM.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 248
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 11.00.51 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 11.00.51 AM.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 246
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 11.05.39 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 11.05.39 AM.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 245
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 11.06.51 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 11.06.51 AM.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 323
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 11.06.06 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 11.06.06 AM.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 248
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 11.07.27 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 11.07.27 AM.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 293
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 11.08.02 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 11.08.02 AM.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 321
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 12.18.55 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 12.18.55 PM.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 301
LPTV stations are still legal to broadcast in Analog. Nothing illegal about that.

Oh ok.. I went back and re-read the wikipedia entry for them and it says they are not licensed to transmit in analog so on those grounds their transmission is illegal.

I just turned my antenna towards their tower and my older Vizio TV will tune in their analog signal. But even with my wicked mega antenna the picture is AWFUL.

IMG_2195.1.jpg

And I can confirm that it is a Spanish language channel now.

When I inquired about why someone else doesn't carry Retro in this area I was told "KUMY"..
I was told they still are retaining some sort of contract or agreement and are thus blocking anyone else from carrying it.
I do not know if that is true or not.

I think I will email Luken networks and ask them what the true status is on KUMY and Retro being rebroadcast in the Beaumont area.
If it's actually free and clear I'm going to start contacting the local stations and ask them to carry Retro as one of their subs.

Edit: I just looked up the affiliates list on Retro's website and they are listing KUMY as the local affiliate for Beaumont. :(

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 12.25.48 PM.png

Last edited:
There you go, KUMY is officially a RTV affiliate, maybe you can give them the benefit of the doubt, regarding that wikipedia info. :wink

I believe they are legal because they FCC knew that they could not afford to upgrade and they are low power stations (LP). They are not allowed to be high power.

While they are licenses for Digital, they are LPTV which has an Analog Broadcast exemption. So again they are legal.

Well see the thing is, they are NOT transmitting any Luken content, at all.

http://www.mytvtx.com

They have switched to a 100% full time, Spanish language only station.
So whether or not they are legal I guess isn't really important to me now.

ANYWAY.....

To clear things up I called KUMY. I got some gentleman (I forgot to get his name) who was very nice.
He told me that they no longer air RetroTV, that they are airing a channel from Mexico on 22 analog and an African American channel on channel 9, also analog.

So I asked if they had dropped RetroTV permanently and he said no, that they are ~thinking about~ bringing it back in about six months when they turn on their digital signal.
He said it would be channel 21 digital, if they do it.

So apparently they have retained the affiliate status even though they aren't using it so that they have the option to use it, if it strikes their fancy.

To be brutally honest, while the man was very polite to me he had a distinct hillbilly accent and having seen their studio & office I feel that they are running this as a couple of good old boys having fun with their hobby, on a hillbilly shoe string budget.

I hope that if they do bring it back they don't have that GIANT, GAUDY watermark across the lower third of the screen. It's bloody UGLY and totally, extremely unnecessary.

IMG_2823.jpg IMG_2831.jpg IMG_2834.jpg

So I guess there's nothing more to say about KUMY for now, I guess the thing is to wait six months like the nice man told me and see what happens then.

I just hope that Luken can keep things going and continue on the path of recovery.
As long as they are on FTA I'm happy. I just wish they can get back on OTA so more people can enjoy it as well.

Oh right! Yes I remember when I first tried to find MeTV when they first went on the air my old Coolsat 6000 could see the video but not the AAC audio. Nor would my meter.
I can see now how this would be a problem for older tuners.

I checked and it appears they are transmitting h.264 on both C and KU.

Also they are now listed on Sathint so it's now officially ok to talk about them being on 97.. :D

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 4.37.45 PM.png

Attachments

• GET SCREEN SHOT 0.9923839883413166.jpeg
    GET SCREEN SHOT 0.9923839883413166.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 194
  • GET SCREEN SHOT 0.15610563941299915.jpeg
    GET SCREEN SHOT 0.15610563941299915.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 199

wow, been a long time since i've seen a picture with static in it!!

87w C-band is where the Luken action is. i bet it's strong enough for a small dish too.
there are usually 4 different feeds of rtv (15 rtv feeds, but there are usually 4 different ones) along with plenty of other good stuff. :)

you know, everybody talks about how great fta was back in the Equity days, and i'm sure thats true for Ku-band.
but if you add in C-band, fta is as good or better than it's ever been in my opinion. (since the development of encryption, anyway)
right now, right off the top of my head, i can think of 5 movie channels, 6 (or 7 if you count one that's still showing a test feed) classic tv channels, 4 cartoon channels, and tons more.
there's still tons up there, but it's on C-band and not Ku-band now.
the grass is pretty green on this side of the fence!!lol ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)