Mac OS X - Snow Leopard Available for pre order

I was going to ask the same question. Can I install the Leopard Snow on my Dell XPS 1210? It has the same processor as my Macbook Pro except the Macbook Pro is slower speed. Dell is 2.66 Ghz and the Macbook Pro is 2.33 Ghz.

Second is that I still have the old OS X 10.4 ( Tiger ) Can this be upgraded to Leopard Snow ( 10.6) ?

pro96: What is the process of installing Mac OS X on the Dell? I know you first have to own a Mac to have the OS disks but what happens during the install that polls the Apple server for key activation during the install?

goaliebob- I can assure you that having paid about the same for both the Dell 1210 and the Macbook Pro, that the Dell is considerably a better deal, bang for the buck, than the Macbook Pro when we consider just the hardware. There is only one feature the Macbook pro has that I would rate as better (hardware) than the Dell. The Macbook Pro has firewire 800 built in which is great for HD video capture speed. Also, I have Windows XP and Mac OS running on my Macbook Pro and use Parallels. It, IMP, is superior to Bootcamp. This allowed me to use the MacbookPro with Vegas video editing.
I would love to have the Mac OS running on my Dell as I think this would make it the perfect laptop.

Not in my opinion.

To each his own...:up

Just glad there are many options for those with different needs and wants.

Just curious how long has it been since you really have used OS X? To be honest it pretty much does all of the things that Windows does except it has the stability of a Unix type OS. Only time my MacBook gets rebooted is when an update requires one.

You are correct Dodger, it is nice to have many options for your different needs and wants.

HEHE unless u gots dual boot (OSX/Win7) then you got 2 flavors :D

I don't dual boot mine. I use VMware Fusion if I have any Windows applications that I need to run. Running Fusion in unity mode is really slick.

Second is that I still have the old OS X 10.4 ( Tiger ) Can this be upgraded to Leopard Snow ( 10.6) ?

pro96: What is the process of installing Mac OS X on the Dell? I know you first have to own a Mac to have the OS disks but what happens during the install that polls the Apple server for key activation during the install?
The Snow Leopard upgrade disk is actually a full install. It can even install to a blank drive so it could be used to upgrade Tiger to Snow Leopard. Only restriction is the EULA. Listed requirements on the box are Mac computer with Intel processor, 1GB of ram, DVD and 5GB of available disk space. Says nothing about needing Leopard on the Mac.

Mac OS does not have any activation keys. Apple uses the honor system for their OS and non professional software. Makes re-installs and additional installs hassle free.

Just curious how long has it been since you really have used OS X? To be honest it pretty much does all of the things that Windows does except it has the stability of a Unix type OS. Only time my MacBook gets rebooted is when an update requires one.

You are correct Dodger, it is nice to have many options for your different needs and wants.
I use OS X just about every single day. I am a teacher and Apple gives computers away to schools, so most of the computers on campus are Macs.

In all honesty, there is nothing wrong with Mac OS; what I said was more in tongue and cheek. I just prefer Windows, probably because I use it more and am more familiar with it. I like the ability to make a window full screen. I prefer the way the navigation bar is laid out in Windows. I also feel I have more control over the computer using Windows. It is easier for me to go into the command prompt or registry files to change settings, commands, and performance. Don't get me started on ejecting a disc from a Mac computer. Doing it exclusively through the window, which fails about 10% of the time, was not a smart move on Apples part. Would it hurt to put an eject button as well (instead of a little pinhole).

And let me add. If you want to have an OS fail, then have students use it. Students are notorious Trojan, virus, and spyware magnets. Even though I find more of these things on a PC, when a Mac does get one, it is nearly impossible to fix the errors created.

And I don't have to reboot my PCs either (except for one piece of crap laptop I use), including the ones running Vista (except after updates). Again, these are ones that I only use. The ones my students use, the PC are more problematic, but much easier to fix.

I use OS X just about every single day. I am a teacher and Apple gives computers away to schools, so most of the computers on campus are Macs.

In all honesty, there is nothing wrong with Mac OS; what I said was more in tongue and cheek. I just prefer Windows, probably because I use it more and am more familiar with it. I like the ability to make a window full screen. I prefer the way the navigation bar is laid out in Windows. I also feel I have more control over the computer using Windows. It is easier for me to go into the command prompt or registry files to change settings, commands, and performance. Don't get me started on ejecting a disc from a Mac computer. Doing it exclusively through the window, which fails about 10% of the time, was not a smart move on Apples part. Would it hurt to put an eject button as well (instead of a little pinhole).

And let me add. If you want to have an OS fail, then have students use it. Students are notorious Trojan, virus, and spyware magnets. Even though I find more of these things on a PC, when a Mac does get one, it is nearly impossible to fix the errors created.

And I don't have to reboot my PCs either (except for one piece of crap laptop I use), including the ones running Vista (except after updates). Again, these are ones that I only use. The ones my students use, the PC are more problematic, but much easier to fix.

Thats cool Dodger. I can agree with you about the Mac being a little harder for the general user to change items via the command line. I guess that is one of the things I like about it. I manage hundreds of Linux servers for a career and the commands are pretty much the same. It is strange for me to go to a Windows machine anymore because I will type ls instead of dir all of the time.

The Snow Leopard upgrade disk is actually a full install. It can even install to a blank drive so it could be used to upgrade Tiger to Snow Leopard. Only restriction is the EULA. Listed requirements on the box are Mac computer with Intel processor, 1GB of ram, DVD and 5GB of available disk space. Says nothing about needing Leopard on the Mac.

Mac OS does not have any activation keys. Apple uses the honor system for their OS and non professional software. Makes re-installs and additional installs hassle free.

I do recall when I set up my Mac on Tiger, it had to go online to complete the activation process. I assume it needed to get the "keys" ( Windows Mindset )

Very cool! I will spend the $29 at the Apple store and give it a try. I'll try to load it on my spare hard drive in my Dell, first, since I would really like to get my spare hard drive loaded with the OS X. And then install Parallels to it and have win 7 with Vegas for 64 bit.

I dont think its that they are running mac os on a pc, I think its there running windows on a mac! Most likely with bootcamp!

Sure you can.. In fact I am running also on a different Laptop besides the Dell Mini, model Compaq Presario C700 with Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.8 just fine and detects my Compaq C700 Laptop as:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 1.47 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 1 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 533 MHz

Not bad for a $299 PC Laptop I purchased in 2008 huh ??? LOL

Last edited:
There is hardly a point running x64 on the Dell M1210 since, first, it can't handle more than 4GB RAM installed and, second, it won't see more than 3.25GB due to the Intel chpset limitations.

Diogen.

I do recall when I set up my Mac on Tiger, it had to go online to complete the activation process. I assume it needed to get the "keys" ( Windows Mindset )

It only does online registration so Apple can send you spam and try to sell you MobilMe. You can leave that screen blank to skip that step. Haven't seen anything about installing 10.6 on non Apple boxes yet

There is hardly a point running x64 on the Dell M1210 since, first, it can't handle more than 4GB RAM installed and, second, it won't see more than 3.25GB due to the Intel chpset limitations.

Diogen.
Not according to Dell tech support. Dual channel memory on 64 bit OS allows 2 + 2 vs. 1 + 1 Gb. Unbalancing of 2 + 1 doesn't get you the benefit of additional memory for dual channel memory for 64 bit apps. 2 + 1 is only of benefit in the 32 bit OS. Memory is not available for this system in 1.5 + 1.5 sticks. Additionally, the Dell has upgraded driversets for 64 bit now for the 1210. I downloaded them for the win 7- 64 install.

As for the Snow Leopard disk. I did quite a bit of reading on this today and believe there is enough confirmation that the $29 disk will work to upgrade from Tiger even though Apple claims you need to buy the $169 license. I found that Apple store was sold out of the disks for Snow Leopard when I went to get one today. For $29 I'll experiment.

As for installing on a disk to run on the Dell, my reading indicates that use of the Leopard disk is not the best approach since it is unlikely that the right drivers will be included and then the install process will fail. There are some PC's that have some of the drivers that are compatible with the included hardware but none are 100%. I've read a few install manuals on the process and with the right driver set and the right iso file it is purported that the Dell 1210 will run fine with Leopard both like a Mac as well as a dual boot system. More than likely the Dell will run with OS X but could be a bit buggy with certain applications. I won't be betting the farm on it for business use. :)

The reference had to do with XP 64 and XP 32. OK, I understand that when considering XP 32 vs. XP 64 where XP 46 was a bloated OS that took up considerable memory itself but we're looking at XP32 with 2+2 sticks vs. win 7 64 bit with 2+2 sticks of memory. At this point it is not so important to me what the system says is available or unusable due to chipset, but actual application ( 64 bit) performance.
I think this is a fundamental difference between the techno experts, ( maybe you are in this category) and me who is a user looking to get overall performance improvement in a particular application. If you tell me that the performance would be worse using 2+2 Ram vs 1+1 Ram. Or that the performance would be worse with 64 bit win7 Plus 64 bit render engine application and the 2 + 2 Gb ram vs. win7 32 bit with the 32 bit version of the application then I'd be surprised.

Another way of stating it is, consider the existing hardware with 2 + 2 Gb ram and the choice to use win 7 32 bit or win 7 64 bit ( with 64 bit version of the application) . Which performs better and by how much?

Also, I must consider that the use of the 64 bit version of the application will suffer certain plugins that are just not available for 64 bit version. However, installing both the 32 bit app will resolve that problem. It how I did it on my Vista 64 bit machine.

Back to Snow Leopard- I got a copy today to test on the Dell. I have a 120 Gb 7200 RPM hard drive I will reformat for the OS X install and see how it goes. Not sure if I'll actually use it but I just want to see how it works.

I never said anything against 2+2 GB RAM, I'd do that, too.

What I'm saying is, on this hardware
- you can't physically install more than 4GB RAM (2x2)
- out of those 4GB even 64-bit Windows (any flavour) won't see more than 32-bit Windows.

Unless those two points are mistaken, why running 64-bit anything?
There could be a reason - 64-bit application running better, driver support, more stable, etc. - but more likely the opposite is true.

This is the reason I said "there is hardly a point running x64"...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts