Mac OS X - Snow Leopard Available for pre order

Roland- Correction- You can install from the $29 disk but I don't believe you can "boot" from it. It appears to be a technicality. Stick a blank new HD in a Mac Book Pro and you can install Leopard Snow from the $29 disk. I've done it. BUT, put the same disk in a Dell with same hardware but different Bios and instruct the Dell to boot from the DVD and it just sits there and eventually says there is no bootable device. However, use one of the modified bootable OS X disks and the Dell will boot from it. Therefore, it doesn't appear that you can use the $29 disk to install Leopard Snow on anything but a Mac.

Roland- Correction- You can install from the $29 disk but I don't believe you can "boot" from it... ...Therefore, it doesn't appear that you can use the $29 disk to install Leopard Snow on anything but a Mac.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to give the impression that the Snow Leopard DVD would boot on any machine, just that you can boot it on an Intel-based Macintosh and do a clean install no mater the previous version on the Mac. The EULA is the only thing that prevents you from going from Jaguar or Tiger to Snow Leopard for $29. Well, that and a conscience... :D

If you read the Snow Leopard box, it says nothing about being an upgrade. The requirements just say a Mac with Intel processor is required. It does not say Leopard is required to be on the Mac.

I just read the EULA and it states that if you purchase a single user license, you may install on any Mac. If you purchased an upgrade license, then you may only install on a Mac with Leopard already installed. Since the box or any included materials does not say it's an upgrade license, then it's appears to be perfectly legal to install it on any Intel Mac.

Looks like the 10.6.2 removes Intel Atom processor support. So any hackintosh that has an Intel Atom processor won't be able to boot and install 10.6.2. Maybe one of the other custom distros (Netkas etc) can get around this by adding their own support like they do with AMD. However most systems that want a fully vanilla based system most likely are using at least a Core 2 Duo or better CPU. It is however a big blow for now for those with Atom CPUs.

Looks like the 10.6.2 removes Intel Atom processor support. So any hackintosh that has an Intel Atom processor won't be able to boot and install 10.6.2. Maybe one of the other custom distros (Netkas etc) can get around this by adding their own support like they do with AMD. However most systems that want a fully vanilla based system most likely are using at least a Core 2 Duo or better CPU. It is however a big blow for now for those with Atom CPUs.

That's right, last night I did the update to my Studio XPS 13 notebook and took it well with the Core 2 Duo it has. I had to re patch the sound kext but other then that it took it well and working smoothly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts