Mac OS X User Thread

JAG72 said:
I would personally install Windows and Linux into a virutal machine instead of using bootcamp. Will be much easier when she needs to use the software.

Is that the same thing Rocky mentioned in regards to Parallels?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Is that the same thing Rocky mentioned in regards to Parallels?

Yes. You can use Parallels, Sun Virtual Box or VMware Fusion to accomplish this task. You will need to install the software and then you will install Windows into a virtual machine.

JAG72 said:
I personally use Fusion but they are all pretty comparable.

You guys are going too fast for me

1. Do I need to install windows in order to use Fusion or Parallels?

2. How do you install windows?

3. Where do I find this integration software?

1. Do I need to install windows in order to use Fusion or Parallels?

Fusion and Parallels allows you to run windows without having to leave osX. It runs in its own virtual image on the MacBook.

2. How do you install windows?

After you install the application, you will create a virtual machine. You will turn on the virtual machine and boot to the Windows Boot CD. You then install Windows just like you were installing on a desktop. All of this is done within the software and you never need to reboot the Mac.

So I install one of these first. Then I install windows. Followed by windows based software.

Correct after you configure the virtual machine that will be running windows. After you install windows you use it just as you would a windows workstation.

How do I do that? Will I still need to install windows in order to do it?

Fusion or Parallels are Virtual Machine programs. Parallels offers coherence mode, where you can click on an icon for a Windows Application and it will load the Windows VM in the background, and the application will show up as a normal mac app (although it will have the look of a windows program). Not sure if Fusion does that, but coherence mode works great.

I suspect that by the time I get another mac, I won't even bother with Parallels. I have found mac programs that do everything I need. :)

Just don't expect Windows programs to run in a virtual environment as fast as they would in real Windows. If you need performance and don't mind rebooting, go with Boot Camp. I played with Parallels, but then decided to go with Boot Camp - works much better for my purposes. For me, the only Windows programs for which performance is not a big issue are Microsoft Word and Excel. But I do have Mac versions of those, so no need to run them in Parallels.

Just don't expect Windows programs to run in a virtual environment as fast as they would in real Windows. If you need performance and don't mind rebooting, go with Boot Camp. I played with Parallels, but then decided to go with Boot Camp - works much better for my purposes. For me, the only Windows programs for which performance is not a big issue are Microsoft Word and Excel. But I do have Mac versions of those, so no need to run them in Parallels.

How much slower is it? My wife will mostly use Windows to run Office anyway. We already have a site licensed copy of Office for Windows and would have to buy Windows for MAC

How much slower is it? My wife will mostly use Windows to run Office anyway. We already have a site licensed copy of Office for Windows and would have to buy Windows for MAC
Up to several times slower!
With Office you should be fine, unless you are running a lot of macros or work with huge documents. But anything graphics intensive or processor intensive (serious games, video editing and processing, programs that do intensive calculations) will be pretty much out of the question.

Keep in mind that you do need a Windows license to work with Parallels or any other Virtual environment.

With Office you should be fine, unless you are running a lot of macros or work with huge documents. But anything graphics intensive or processor intensive (serious games, video editing and processing, programs that do intensive calculations) will be pretty much out of the question.

Keep in mind that you do need a Windows license to work with Parallels or any other Virtual environment.
I have a legit copy of window

i have noticed no real performance hits when running windows apps, but I don't use them for heavy lifting. Strikes me if you want to primarily run windows apps, run them on a pc. I understand Ilya's rationale for bootcamp, and that makes sense, but if you are using a mac, find mac apps, and learn to live in the mac world.

As far as Office goes, I have Microsoft Office 2011, it is fine; but I actually do all of my word processing in Nisus Pro Writer 2, a venerable mac word processor that I like a lot. But if you are going to run a mac, and need Office, I'd either spend the money on it, OR switch to NeoOffice, a mac-version of Open Office which is very good and full powered, and cheap.

We already have iWorks. It was free when we bought it. Being a teacher, I got $100 off the computer, $100 APP store credit, free iWorks, and $50 off the 1 to 1 training that my wife wanted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)