Mac OS X User Thread

DodgerKing said:
Since bootcamp is already installed on the computer, I might as well try it out.

Boot Camp is just a set of tools that simplify the creation of a Windows partition. You still have to create it and install Windows on it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm going to try VirtualBox since it is free and I don't have to worry about the reboot to switch between the two OS. For what my wife plans on using Windows for, VirtualBox seems to more than suit her needs. If it is too slow, I can always delete it and give one of the others a try. I just don't see any justification for paying to run windows on occasion. We have 5 windows devices at home already (typing on one now) all networked to each other. If she is really desperate she can always use another computer

1 GB. 512 MB minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Next question. How important are all of the Windows updates if Windows is running on a MAC? Will windows still be vulnerable to the same issues as running on a PC? Will I need to install Virus software as well? Sorry for all of the questions, but even though I do use MACs often, I am just beginning to learn about the workings of a MAC.

Last edited:
By the way, one nice feature of Parallels is that it can run Windows programs installed in the Boot Camp partition. So, you just install a program once and then you have a choice to run in in native Windows mode (with a reboot) or to run it in a window directly from Mac OS. Parallels is not free, but you can try it for free for a month.

Next question. How important are all of the Windows updates if Windows is running on a MAC? Will windows still be substitutable to the same issues as running on a PC? Will I need to install Virus software as well? Sorry for all of the questions, but even though I do use MACs often, I am just beginning to learn about the workings of a MAC.
If your VM connects to the Internet, then yes, you should install updates and an antivirus. You can use something like Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, has a small footprint and is very easy to use.

Ilya said:
By the way, one nice feature of Parallels is that it can run Windows programs installed in the Boot Camp partition. So, you just install a program once and then you have a choice to run in in native Windows mode (with a reboot) or to run it in a window directly from Mac OS. Parallels is not free, but you can try it for free for a month.

You can do the same with VMWare fusion.

DodgerKing said:
Next question. How important are all of the Windows updates if Windows is running on a MAC? Will windows still be vulnerable to the same issues as running on a PC? Will I need to install Virus software as well? Sorry for all of the questions, but even though I do use MACs often, I am just beginning to learn about the workings of a MAC.

You need to treat it as if it was running in its own hardware. It can become infected just as easy as any windows installation.

Thanks. Well there goes a couple of hours out of my day. With 100+ updates and software to install, plus the software updates. ;)

OK. This is strange. The updates are much quicker on a MAC even though it is doing so through a virtual environment. I mean, much quicker. It went through a 100+ updates in just a matter of a few minutes and many of these are large updates

Now I have to look for display drivers so I can get the true 16:9 full screen instead of the 4:3 pillar box display. Hopefully there are some

You need to treat it as if it was running in its own hardware. It can become infected just as easy as any windows installation.

Which killed half the reason I bought a Mac in the first place :)
I just bit the bullet and bought Office for mac. Wasn't that expensive and a lot less hassle than trying to keep a PC healthy

How does iWorks compare to Office? I know Excel is many times better than numbers, but the other things like pages and keynote seem to hold up to Office

How does iWorks compare to Office? I know Excel is many times better than numbers, but the other things like pages and keynote seem to hold up to Office

Pages is ok, but its not word. Pretty good for basic desktop publishing though. Better off with Neo Office or Nisus Writer Pro. There is also Open Office by itself, but Neo Office is really well done.

One of the nice things about Word for Mac is that it is also Microsoft Publisher. It can be a desktop publisher.

Numbers is only ok, I still use Excel for spreadsheets.

Keynote is pretty good; but since my classrooms all have PowerPoint, I stick with it. But if I am using the iPad at a conference, I put it into Keynote.

You know you can buy a home-student version of Office 2011 from Amazon for under $120. The ONLY thing is does not have - at all - is Microsoft Access. Does not exist for the mac.

A problem I have never had with Windows. Mail has been trying to sync with my wife's G-mail account for over an hour now. It will not let me close it or stop it. I cannot do anything, including shutting the computer down because Mail is still running. Does MAC have something similar to "Control Alt Delete" to force software to stop. This stuck software is preventing me from doing anything. The computer simply froze up.

Never mind, found out how to do their force quit option.

I thought MACs were not supposed to have this problem

Never mind, found out how to do their force quit option.

I thought MACs were not supposed to have this problem

You can write idiot programs that abuse any operating system. The difference is in how the OS protects itself from the application. The program will crash and hang, but it doesn't take down the OS, and as you learned, there is still force quit available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)