Mail / Trash Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdZackery

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
NW Ohio
Maybe I am doing something wrong. I'd guess over 50%, maybe high as 80% of weight and mass that I remove from our mailbox is carried to kitchen and dropped into our trashcan, and nearly all of that is unopened.

It's pretty close to the same at my house. The difference is that the junk goes directly to my blue recycle can....

I sometimes feed the junk mail into the shredder.

It feels good. :)

I even get junk mail inserts for pen/pencil sets, personalized rubber stamps, etc... in the envelope with my credit card statements.

Soon after I contacted the credit agencies to stop unwanted credit card solicitations I noticed a drop in the overall junk mail rate at my box. I'd say less than 30% of what I get now is junk mail. One notable, sizeable piece I would like to stop is a "local" newspaper I receive without fail every Sat. I have a mailing address that would put me close to that town but in fact I live some distance from it and have absolutely -0- interest in what's in that paper! I wish I could stop it, but it's sent to "rural customer" at my city/state/zip. Everyone on our route gets it.

Hey! Going back to the "tip the mailman thread", maybe if I ask my mail delivery person to NOT put that paper in my box and he/she complies for a whole year, a real tip would be in order! For that matter they should not deliver anything to me that does not include my name and box number...!

For the most part I deposit junk mail into the "mixed office waste" recycling. I have to be careful that nothing with any kind of account numbers or personal information is included however. One notable potential "gotcha" is those unsolicited "checks" the CC companies send me to try to get me to take cash advances. Those go directly to the shredder...do not pass home and do not collect $200...!

Last edited:
One notable potential "gotcha" is those unsolicited "checks" the CC companies send me to try to get me to take cash advances. Those go directly to the shredder...do not pass home and do not collect $200...!
_

I receive those checks also, just sit looking at them and shake my head. In years I have never used one, shred my too. Seems after shipping a ton or so to me they would stop.

Another thing funny about one card co. is I have two cards to get different kinds of reward points that I make out on. due one day apart so I pay both off every month and send payment for each card in the same envelope to them. They stick with their way and always send my bill for each in it's own separate envelope. And oh yea double dose off checks for the shredder.

Why not consider paperless, on-line statements and payments? I have done that with most of my accounts including utilities. AMEX doesn't even mail statements anymore, at least not for the corporate account I have for work.

If it wasnt for junk mail the post office would be out of business.

for the cost of all the junk mail feds could probably give everyone n the US a wi fii like service with a printer, you could then select what if any coupons you wanted to print, cutting down on the waste stream dramatically.

advertisers would pay for this.

truly important stuff could go fed x.

there we just elminated one government agency, poof gone.

cut costs dramatically, in a green way, and got crippled wi fi internet for free:)

Nothing is "free", but to be sure the USPS is headed the way of the buggy whip...

There, kill the proverbial 2 birds! Eliminate all that paper waste...and no more need to "tip the mailman"...!

To get even.

Those with the free reply cards, just drop them not filled in in the mail box so the advertiser has to pay to get back a blank useless paper.

I knew somone who put a brick in a box and glued the free reply cards on so the advertiser paid big bucks for nothing. the fellow thought it hilarious.

the key to handling junk mail, dont lay it down.

DEPOSIT DIRECTLY IN TRASH CAN AS SOON AS IT ARRIVES, so you dont waste more time looking at it repeatedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts