Major DIRECTV Rumor Alerts

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I agree, wait until they can compare their 4K PQ in the mainstream.
Then the first $400 8K tv that comes along will be the best thing in the world.

You seriously need to visit the DISH 4K thread.
Or the "Is 4K worth it" thread in the dish forums.
Early adoption, is thrown out the window when graphs are brought in.
First off, I rarely go into the Dish area, but maybe the reaction you refer to is because Dish's hd picture quality is substandard to begin with.

I was over a person's house who had Dish Network and God almighty damn, it was awful. It made uVerse TV look good and I didn't think that was possible.

Yeah, let's take that overcompressed garbage that is Dish Network and put it on a 4K TV. Yeah, let's make that stuff look even worse. That's great.</sarcasm>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure 90%+ of Dish customers are quite happy with the PQ and don't notice any shortcomings. I can see some, but find it an acceptable trade off that Dish has made.

To be honest, none of us could see any difference in the Macy's parade on 9-1 (OTA) and on 9-0 (Dish).

I could get better PQ, and a few stations of minor interest, from FiOS. And I'd gain the Military History Channel. But it would cost more, I'd lose at least one station of major interest and I'd also lose some features. Not worth it. It isn't PQ at all costs for most of us.

Reactions: Troch77
Yeah, let's take that overcompressed garbage that is Dish Network and put it on a 4K TV. Yeah, let's make that stuff look even worse. That's great.</sarcasm>

Yeah I'll admit the HD PQ on Dish isn't that great.
It's Okay, but not better then my Local cable company or my Sisters Directv.

But I also save a few dollars with Dish then I would with Directv, and the HRs are bad and those Clients are Horrible in performance.

So I chose Performance ,Price and IMO a better channel Line up,then Directv Could offer me Over PQ.
That Dish Vs Directv PQ has an even less margin, then 1080p vs 4K in difference.

I'm not into Sports other then my local teams, and I'm not into paying RSN fees for Teams I don't watch or Paying for Over $51 in fees for 5 rooms of service.
Or forced to pick a sub par package to avoid such implemented fees!

But that's just me.
But anyway, I don't care where you have 4K it's still not worth paying a premium, unless you foolishly have nothing better to do with your money.
It's only TV!
Take your Wives or Husbands out for Dinner, Maybe even a Weekend away ,at some of prices you guys will pay for 4K .

To be honest, none of us could see any difference in the Macy's parade on 9-1 (OTA) and on 9-0 (Dish).

I find this very hard to believe?....It should be night and day......Time for a new TV....

I find this very hard to believe?....It should be night and day......Time for a new TV....
Maybe you were the one that needed a new TV if you think it's night and day.

No way would I compare 4K vs 1080p as Night and Day. More like High Noon vs 4 PM.
8K Vs SD, yeah maybe Night and Day.

Certainly Not OTA 1080i vs 1080i Dish.
Gimme a Break already.

Maybe you were the one that needed a new TV if you think it's night and day.

No way would I compare 4K vs 1080p as Night and Day. More like High Noon vs 4 PM.
8K Vs SD, yeah maybe Night and Day.

Certainly Not OTA 1080i vs 1080i Dish.
Gimme a Break already.

Ummm thanks for the sarcasm.....There is no way in hell watching a satellite feed that is compressed that will look the same as a OTA 12 meg TV feed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aint gona happen, it is freaken night and GD day!!!

Ummm thanks for the sarcasm.....There is no way in hell watching a satellite feed that is compressed that will look the same as a OTA 12 meg TV feed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't give a crap about your specs.
You assumption is BS.

Neither is 4K.

I don't give a crap about your specs.
You assumption is BS.

Neither is 4K.

LOL....not sure your hangup on 4k....Some one compares 1080(witch is 720) on a compressed satellite feed to an over the air broadcast and says there is no visible difference....

You can say what ever you like....But may I suggest you try to open you eyes and understand the amount of data being transferred is probably 5 to 8 times better....If you cant see it...your TV sucks or your eyes do.....Real hard to understand I guess?

OTA signals can be, and are, split up among several channels. Certainly channel 9 does that, and that doesn't help PQ.

But since DIRECTV transcodes local OTA feeds from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 which is almost twice as efficient, they actually can compress an OTA signal around 60-65% and it will still look the same.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Who says all OTA signals are at 12 meg. ?

Like Navy mentioned, you have the OTA signal and then you have the various Sub Channels coming off most of those OTA channels out of that same supposive 12 mg.

Let's remember that this isn't the War Zone. Comments should relate to the topic.

Reactions: Ronnie-
You all also have to remember not all OTA stations are created equally. OTA stations on average are putting out about 6-8 megs per HD stream, packed in with a few -2's and -3's. Some stations even are fitting 2 HD stations on one signal. People for get this. So yes it is possible that you may not see a PQ improvement from OTA to Dish or even DirecTV. The 8 megs of satellite bandwidth that is given to each station (varies due to statistical multiplexing) may be the same 8 megs the station gives its OTA service, often picked off by both DirecTV and Dish. The only way that it would be better than that would be to have a fiber / ASI feed from the station dedicated. Even then sometimes it's the same output from the transmitters versus the output of the encoders.

So yes it is very possible that no PQ improvement exists from the OTA service to the service you get on Dish / DirecTV. Where one would think there would be one.

With that said, as a 4k set owner, yes there is a difference between 1080P and 4k, but some 1080P content if done well can look really good on a 4k set. In my eyes the more the resolution the better, especially the bigger the screen. Poorly created / poorly encoded content wont look as good no matter what the resolution is. Skipping out on bits and having content at 1440 * 1080 will have a dramatic effect on bigger screen devices. 65 inches and up. While the normal consumer may not necessarily notice, once they upgrade to that bigger 4k set they would. Dish seems to be content with this, but it would be years before they are forced to do anything. Especially under the current management.

Reactions: navychop
Status
Please reply by conversation.

reviving old thread about hd channels south of the border

Can an AM21 be hooked up to a DirecTV TiVo DVR?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)