Major SatelliteGuys FIOS Rumor!

Ugh... FiOS is being rolled out around here, but from what I hear my neighborhood won't be getting it until sometime next year- nothing more specific than that unfortunately.

LonghornXP said:
It will not be a satellite service. Please Scott you must correct the original post above and change satellite to fiber. You must get fiber installed to get FIOS TV service.

I see what the problem was. Verizon will offer every HD channel available via satellite. This means that all national HD channels that are offering (hosted) on a satellite would be offered on FIOS TV. All channels today pretty much are hosted on a satellite so that cable and satellite companies can pick them up to offer on their systems. DirecTV gets their programming from host satellites which they sent out on their own satellites.

If you look near every cable plant you will see a field of at least 10 very big dishes and those are the dishes the cable companies use to pick up the host satellites feeds which could be anything from ESPN to HBO.

So does that mean if a HD channel isn't tranfered via satelittle it won't be avaiable to FIOS. I.E. cablevision and comcast dont transter there HD RSNs by satellite to avoid having to offer them the Directv & Dish. Am i understanding that correctly?

Way to go VERIZON! Bring it on!
If FiOS was available in my area, I would switch without any hesitation and pay the early termination fee on my current contract! :up

liquidnw said:
So does that mean if a HD channel isn't tranfered via satelittle it won't be avaiable to FIOS. I.E. cablevision and comcast dont transter there HD RSNs by satellite to avoid having to offer them the Directv & Dish. Am i understanding that correctly?

Sadly that would be correct. These channels are very few but they do exist and Verizon won't get any luckier than say DirecTV and Dish.

LonghornXP said:
Sadly that would be correct. These channels are very few but they do exist and Verizon won't get any luckier than say DirecTV and Dish.
Even with all the news of comming channels, in comcast areas verizon might be at a serious disadvantage because comcast doesn't use sat for niether SD or HD RSNs. Not sure if verizon is the provider in phili but if you can't get the sixers,flyers, etc at all wither it be HD or SD that might be a deal breaker for many as it is now between comcast and directv. In cablevision areas the hd feed for MSG & FSNY HD might not be an issue if the dolans bid to go private is aproved and Rainbow is spun into a seperate company. Rainbow would then have no reason to keep MSG & FSNY HD exclusive to cv and would be in there best intrest to offer them to everone in the DMA.

Not everyone is a sports fanatic.. When fios cuts cablevision and comcasts penetration rate to less than 50% Things will probably change

liquidnw said:
Even with all the news of comming channels, in comcast areas verizon might be at a serious disadvantage because comcast doesn't use sat for niether SD or HD RSNs. Not sure if verizon is the provider in phili but if you can't get the sixers,flyers, etc at all wither it be HD or SD that might be a deal breaker for many as it is now between comcast and directv. In cablevision areas the hd feed for MSG & FSNY HD might not be an issue if the dolans bid to go private is aproved and Rainbow is spun into a seperate company. Rainbow would then have no reason to keep MSG & FSNY HD exclusive to cv and would be in there best intrest to offer them to everone in the DMA.

Your on the right thinking path. I also expect the owners of these sports teams in the future to work their deal with say Verizon. Again this won't be a short term fix but in the long run Verizon will wait until these exclusive RSN contracts run out or until the owner sees how he can make more money by getting out of the contract with say comcast and getting viewers from both comcast, verizon, dish and directv.

I wonder if they will be able to cut a deal to get Comcast's Mid-Atlantic Sports Network's HDTV channel.

LonghornXP said:
Your on the right thinking path. I also expect the owners of these sports teams in the future to work their deal with say Verizon. Again this won't be a short term fix but in the long run Verizon will wait until these exclusive RSN contracts run out or until the owner sees how he can make more money by getting out of the contract with say comcast and getting viewers from both comcast, verizon, dish and directv.

Wiith the trend of teams breaking away for cable owened rsn's i would hope the cable cos realize its better to offer the SD & HD feeds to everyone as opposed to the team leaving and forming there own RSN. Never understood why oweners allowed there teams to be kept exclusive to any provider weither its HD or SD.

juan said:
Not everyone is a sports fanatic.. When fios cuts cablevision and comcasts penetration rate to less than 50% Things will probably change

couldn't happen to 2 nicer companies, especially the anti-christ that is Cablevision! :deadhorse

:)

Does the rumor include FS/MSG-HD (knicks, hockey games)?? getting the voom channels is awesome and i cant wait to get, some day.

the issue with sports rsn is big. The Mets plan to break away from MSG next season and go solo with TW. Does VZ intend to try and secure all the local sports teams? Any rumors as to YES and YES-HD??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts