Managing DVR recordings online

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Widescreen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Allen, TX (Dallas area)
I just switched from Dish to DirecTV yesterday. With Dish, I was able to view my DVR recording list online (via web and iPhone app) and delete them and make changes to my scheduled recordings. Is there a way to do this with DirecTV? So far, I've only seen the ability to schedule new recordings, but not manage what's already been recorded or making changes to timers for upcoming events.

Thanks.

My bet is that DIRECTV is working on an online app to manage the recordings. The DVRs are already streaming the playlist titles (confirmed by checking out various media players that can see DLNA-compatible devices), playlists can already be combined with Whole-Home DVR service, and Whole-Home compatible non-DVRs can be used to schedule recordings on connected DVRs. You can also already remotely schedule recordings from DIRECTV's online guide or from a smart-phone DIRECTV application.

My guess is one of the next new features to appear will be the ability to schedule a recording from one Whole-Home-connected-DVR to any other Whole-Home-connected-DVR, as most of the pieces are there already. Then it's not much more of a leap for Internet-connected DVRs to send the scheduled recordings list, the Series Link list and Playlists back to DIRECTV for access via an online tool. Combine this with the recent news that DIRCTV was surveying customers about their interest in a "Sling/DIRECTV-2-Go"-type of service (for remotely viewing recordings from the home DVR) and I think DIRECTV has got to be gearing up for an expansion of the online tools for managing DVRs...

I hope you're right. I have a Slingbox already and can certainly vouch for the usefulness of placeshifting.

I'm certain the DTV engineers can pull off remote playlist management since Dish's were able to.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)