Manhattan RS-1933 Thread

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks Pixel,

I only have 2 dishes, a 8 Foot C Band and a 4 foot KU so the DISEQC 1.1 would not be an issue for me.

Now can the Manhattan be hooked up to a hard drive and used as a DVR?

Have you been able to Blind Scan (and find) and DVB/S2 with it? (Besides my AZbox starting to flake out, this is one of my main reasons for wanting one!)

Thanks!

Scott, before I messed mine up, I did blindscan AMC21 and picked up the S2 PBS feeds there. Never got the chance to check out low SR blindscan captures, but it picked up Montana PBS fine.

Does this receiver blindscan DVB-S2 signals? that's my primary interest for wanting to get one (other than having a second receiver in my arsenal for H264 and AAC and AC-3 onboard decoding). The specs I saw didn't specially mention that DVB-S2 is blind searchable. If it does blindscan DVB-S2, is it only a whole satellite scan or can you pop in a frequency that you find on a spectrum analzyer and have it scan just that one frequency looking for a lock in DVB-S or DVB-S2? Thanks.

Yes it scans DVB-S and S-2 simultaneously very well. I did a side by side test of OB vs MH. A fresh scan of 125w which has all the formats, although the MH was a little slower it picked up an extra ch the OB missed. You can key in a TP freq and SR, then have it scan just that TP. Does that very fast.

Thanks Pixel,

I only have 2 dishes, a 8 Foot C Band and a 4 foot KU so the DISEQC 1.1 would not be an issue for me.

Now can the Manhattan be hooked up to a hard drive and used as a DVR?

Have you been able to Blind Scan (and find) and DVB/S2 with it? (Besides my AZbox starting to flake out, this is one of my main reasons for wanting one!)

Thanks!

I did connect a external HDD to it and did a short recording, worked fine. I'll have to explore this area more tonight. The record menu has some extra features that are not on the OB I haven't tested yet.
The MH manual is actually helpful, but as on the OB, the menus are so easy to figure out, you don't need it much.

Any update on the Manhattan? This is one I am interested in and depending on the reviews am considering one to replace my AZbox which has started doing goofy things lately.

I just dont want to spend $200 on one to find out I am a beta tester and that the features we want are coming "soon"

Been there and done that on a number of boxes.

Thanks!
I will be blunt. The receiver needs firmware work.
It appears they changed form a 2MB receiver to a 4MB receiver and they probably were not fully prepared for this.
This receiver change has left them with a good basic firmware without manyl bells and whistles. As an example, you cannot currently use a motor and a switch. The Solomend had this same problem back in early 2010. Now we will see how quickly this issue is fixed in the Manhattan.
I have seen a lot written about the Manhattan being a clone. I beg to differ since the Manhattan is being coded from scratch.
You can scan Horizontal or Vertical transponders with the Manhattan.
You can add an individual channel with the Manhattan.
The Manhattan has a Dolby Digital Logo on the front and Dolby licensing information written on the back.
The Manhattan has a North American wall plug so no adapter is needed.
The clock works on the Manhattan.

Work is being done to fix the firmware and make it very desirable, but there will not be much more information available on this receiver until some new firmware is released. Wait a little while and see what happens. GregH

At least we have some honesty here. But I must say I'm not about to jump in with a hope and a dream. Looks like my AZbox will be a keeper for a while... warts and all.

As an example, you cannot currently use a motor and a switch.
This is a concern.

I was considering ordering one yesterday (but forgot my credit card at home) but now I am sitting on the fence again.

Hopefully we can get more clarification.

This is a concern.

I was considering ordering one yesterday (but forgot my credit card at home) but now I am sitting on the fence again.

Hopefully we can get more clarification.

Scott,

I can test motor control DiseqC 1.2 sometime this weekend for you. Since it doesn't work with my 1.1 switches I will have to do some by-passing, but I can do this setup temporary...RECEIVER> G BOX> DISEQC 1.0 SWITCH> DISH. I do not have a USALS motor, someone else maybe can test this? I did see in the motor setup menu a choice for "motor with switch"

I will be blunt. The receiver needs firmware work.
It appears they changed form a 2MB receiver to a 4MB receiver and they probably were not fully prepared for this.
This receiver change has left them with a good basic firmware without manyl bells and whistles. As an example, you cannot currently use a motor and a switch. The Solomend had this same problem back in early 2010. Now we will see how quickly this issue is fixed in the Manhattan.
I have seen a lot written about the Manhattan being a clone. I beg to differ since the Manhattan is being coded from scratch.
You can scan Horizontal or Vertical transponders with the Manhattan.
You can add an individual channel with the Manhattan.
The Manhattan has a Dolby Digital Logo on the front and Dolby licensing information written on the back.
The Manhattan has a North American wall plug so no adapter is needed.
The clock works on the Manhattan.

Work is being done to fix the firmware and make it very desirable, but there will not be much more information available on this receiver until some new firmware is released. Wait a little while and see what happens. GregH

GregH,

Do you own a Manhattan? If so could you confirm "As an example, you cannot currently use a motor and a switch"

MANHATTAN REVIEW UPDATE

The Manhattan does indeed have the feature of manual pid input. It is in one of the sub menus of the TP edit area. I tried it last night, works fine. Credit to Stone1150 from another web site.

I want to clear something up... I got a note from a member asking me why I am "picking on" the Manhattan.

I don't believe I am picking on it at all, I am a consumer who is interested in purchasing one so I am looking for feedback on the unit before deciding where to spend my hard earned money. I have had to many receivers in the past promise the world but never end up delivering on all the promises. I want the best bang for my buck.

I am not asking questions to try protecting our sponsors, let's face it none of our sponsors currently offer anything near what the Manhattan promises. And truth be told I currently use an AZBox which is another product none of our sponsors offer. So please don't say I am trying to protect our sponsors. I would love for our sponsors to offer a advanced receiver like this but unfortuntely none of them do... yet.

I m not putting down the Manhattan product in any way, I am just asking questions to learn more about it. Trying to learn about a product that sounds promising is not putting a product down, its trying to educate myself (and hopefully others) of what this box can and can not do.

I look forward to reading other reviews and feedback.

I want to clear something up... I got a note from a member asking me why I am "picking on" the Manhattan.

I don't believe I am picking on it at all, I am a consumer who is interested in purchasing one so I am looking for feedback on the unit before deciding where to spend my hard earned money. I have had to many receivers in the past promise the world but never end up delivering on all the promises. I want the best bang for my buck.

so true Scott. I've been burned too many times on new products that dont live up to what they claim. A couple examples
Coolsat 8000....1st batches only had OTA software in it :eek:
Sathawk...even after asking oodles of questions the 1st batches werent the best. Lots of issues, clunky remote etc

and with all the talk about "developed in north america for north americans" one could only have assumed the software would have been close to complete before release. im thinking it was marketing bs to inflate preorders. im sure the issues will be fixed becuz there are tons of recievers based on the ali reference platform so code is out there. good thing i dont need another sub par reciever. hopefully the "north american" developers frequent north american forums and the software will mature quickly.

crackt out,.

It is nice to read some common sense in a post Scott. That's why they pay you the big bucks right? he he he. Anyways, it seems that people are just interested in getting into an arguement these days. Nothing saddens me more as an avid fan of FTA. The eye patch era did not help any when it comes to peoples attitude about receivers. So as a result we are now seeing people expecting everything for nothing, complaining about prices in general, If one asks questions like you, then you are picking on them, and if you try to answer questions, like I had tried about this Manhattan, then you are bought off and biased in your views. I have been in this hobby long enough to know that the infighting has never been this bad. It seems that there are fewer and fewer people that keep a level head and wait for any receiver to be refined. That in turn hurts the hobby,(that's just my opinion) and hurts competition which is what is needed. I tried to clarify some things just a week or so ago as I am playing around with the Manhattan only to be instantly ridiculed. The person was simply talking down a product that is still in it's early stages, and pushing his "receiver that I won't mention" as the answer to all problems. I was "biased" in my report that I hadn't written yet. And here and at a couple other sites, I let my human side get away from me and things tend to get a little warm. (For that I apoligise sincerely.) So I just give up on giving any info in a forum anymore till the refinements are made and everything can be looked at. I am sorry to see someone with your knowlege be taking flack like that. It shouldn't happen to anyone. (Thank God we have Ice around here to butt heads around! LOL! ;) ) If anyone has any questions about the Manhattan, I will try to answer them. Anyone that wants to argue or start a pi**ing match, forget it. Thank you to Pixl for the preliminary report to the members here. I wrote a similar Pre-report at Legit that people can read if they care to. Have a great day all!

Scott,

I can test motor control DiseqC 1.2 sometime this weekend for you. Since it doesn't work with my 1.1 switches I will have to do some by-passing, but I can do this setup temporary...RECEIVER> G BOX> DISEQC 1.0 SWITCH> DISH. I do not have a USALS motor, someone else maybe can test this? I did see in the motor setup menu a choice for "motor with switch"

GregH,

Do you own a Manhattan? If so could you confirm "As an example, you cannot currently use a motor and a switch"

Look for yourself. Unless you are running a different software version than I am, You cannot use a motor and a switch(universal settings excluded).
To check this, press the menu button on the remote. Then go to Installation--->Antenna Connection.
Select Motor Antenna.
Exit back to "Installation" and select "Antenna Setup".
There are no provisions for a motor and a switch. See attached photo.

Now let me clear something up.
I am not here to bash the Manhattan or put the receiver down in any way but people are thinking about buying it. They ask questions, and I tell them what I honestly know about it.
IMO, it is better to inform people before they buy than to have them pissed off after they buy. GregH

Attachments

• DSCF0309.JPG
    DSCF0309.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
and with all the talk about "developed in north america for north americans" one could only have assumed the software would have been close to complete before release. im thinking it was marketing bs to inflate preorders. im sure the issues will be fixed becuz there are tons of recievers based on the ali reference platform so code is out there. good thing i dont need another sub par reciever. hopefully the "north american" developers frequent north american forums and the software will mature quickly.

crackt out,.
That is their goal. Be there for the consumer, deliver a product for the north american market. The receiver is being developed Because of the consumer getting..... let's say "let down" by other manufacturers. That said, the truth is that only time will tell the entire story. So far however I am impressed with the receiver. Issues seem to be getting fixed promptly. Have a great day!

Look for yourself. Unless you are running a different software version than I am, You cannot use a motor and a switch(universal settings excluded).
To check this, press the menu button on the remote. Then go to Installation--->Antenna Connection.
Select Motor Antenna.

I'll take another look at my screen when I get home. Seems mine was different.

Select Motor Antenna.

Now let me clear something up.
I am not here to bash the Manhattan or put the receiver down in any way but people are thinking about buying it. They ask questions, and. I tell them what I honestly know about it.
IMO, it is better to inform people before they buy than to have them pissed off after they buy. GregH

This issue has been discussed and is getting taken care of. Heck they even talked about it on sattalk the other night When one places the receiver into motorised, the 22 khz option don't light up. Issue has been reported. Along with a few others that we have uncovered. It does take time to write code....... I might add here, there are so many different setups that we can run, there is no way for any manufacturer to anticipate every problem. So in the end, we the public are the ultimate testers like it or not. Nobody is holding a gun to anyones head to rush out and buy anything the second it hits the market. That is still a personal decision last I looked. Also no box has come out meeting every expectation. They all get "updated" to get rid of bugs. Have a great day!

I'll take another look at my screen when I get home. Seems mine was different.

Not yet Pixl. Latest firmware is dated.... 11th? of july I think... Can't remember off hand.... Another re-write is comming addressing a few issues along with that one. It is in the works. What order will get done is anyones guess as many times one thing gets fixed and another breaks. None the less, it is being addressed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)