Manny hits #500

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
capt.924437d896914370aa8ade8efd001e6c.red_sox_orioles_baseball_mdsr106.jpg

One of the most flamboyant and productive players in MLB history makes history.

On NESN tonight, they showed highlights of Manny's first ML homer (in an Indians uniform of course). It was in Yankee Stadium and the late, great Phil "Scooter" Rizutto was on the call. After the homer, Rizutto said something like, "who is this guy Ramirez"? :)

Funny.

And here I thought it was salary he was commanding that made him and Cleveland part ways.

Exactly ..... Had Cleveland antied up they would have had one of the best hitters in the last decade playing for them .... I guess they didn't think he was worth it.

I know they would not like the "Manny being Manny " episodes.

Jimbo

Where's HD MM?

I'd like to get his thoughts on this Manny/Cleveland thing.

I think Cleveland got tired of his antics when the contract time was there.

I happened to be in Cleveland the day that went down and I could not believe they let him go. I was there for training for work that week.

I think Albert Belle may have been there at the same time, or in the same proxcimity.

Jimbo

I think Cleveland got tired of his antics when the contract time was there.

I happened to be in Cleveland the day that went down and I could not believe they let him go. I was there for training for work that week.

I think Albert Belle may have been there at the same time, or in the same proxcimity.

Jimbo

I believe Albert was there then also. IIRC, during the Indians great 1995 season (100-44 in a strike-shortened season) two members of the exclusive 500 HR club batted 6th and 7th (Thome and Manny) in most of the Indians games that year. I think the Tribe's 1995 lineup looked something like this:

CF- Kenny Lofton
SS- Omar Vizquel
2B- Carlos Baerga
LF- Albert Belle
1B or DH- Eddie Murray
3B- Jim Thome
RF- Manny ramirez
DH or 1B - Paul Sorrento
C- Sandy Alomar

Wow..what a lineup. IMO, maybe the greatest team to not win the World Series.

I believe Albert was there then also. IIRC, during the Indians great 1995 season (100-44 in a strike-shortened season) two members of the exclusive 500 HR club batted 6th and 7th (Thome and Manny) in most of the Indians games that year. I think the Tribe's 1995 lineup looked something like this:

CF- Kenny Lofton
SS- Omar Vizquel
2B- Carlos Baerga
LF- Albert Belle
1B or DH- Eddie Murray
3B- Jim Thome
RF- Manny ramirez
DH or 1B - Paul Sorrento
C- Sandy Alomar

Wow..what a lineup. IMO, maybe the greatest team to not win the World Series.

HOW did they lose to the Braves?

Great question, because on paper the Indians were a superior team. I talked about their incredible lineup, but that's not all this team was about, they had great pitching also. Their starters were very good: Dennis Martinez, Charles Nagy, Orel Hershiser, Ken Hill (sorry i forget who the 5th starter was). As deep as their starting rotation was, and as potent as their lineup was, the strength of this team, IMO, was their bullpen. I have been watching baseball for a little over 30 years and I rate this as one of the best, and certainly one of the deepest I have ever seen. The Indians closer was Jose Mesa (he may have been a flash in the pan, but in 1995 he had one of the greatest seasons for a closer....EVER). He was virtually unhittable. The Tribe had setup guys comin out of their butts. From the right side they had Eric Plunk, a young and dominant Julian Tavarez, and Chad Ogea (famous from the '97 series). From the left side they had Paul Assenmacher (who was death on lefties), a young and talented Alan Embree, and a third very servicable guy whose name escapes me. I STILL can't believe this team didn't win at least 1 World Series.

Pitching was it. Need I remind everyone that the Braves rotation consisted of perennial Cy Young Award winner Greg Maddux, Tom Glavin, John Smoltz and Steve Avery. That was arguably the best starting 4 in MLB history!

The Tribe rotation of the '90's was adequate, but didn't come close to matching that of the Braves. Orel Hershiser and Dennis Martinez were over their prime while in Cleveland. Charles Nagy was decent, but never dominating.

Now our offense! Holy cow! Vizquel, Lofton, Belle, Thome, Ramirez, Murray, Alomar and Dave Winfield coming off the bench! Now that was one fun offense to watch. Unfortunately for Cleveland though, this was a case of an epic pitching staff vs. epic hitting. And more often than not, we all know that the greater pitching always triumphs over great hitting in the Playoffs.

And to think the Indians had no use for this guy ....

Wouldn't they like him in their line up at this point :)

Congrats Manny !!!!

Jimbo

Following the 2000 season, the Tribe did make a huge effort to resign Ramirez.

Ramirez's agent wanted a $200 million contract over 10 years. The Indians countered with a seven-year proposal ($119 overall) that would have made Ramirez baseball's highest-paid player at more than $17. While the Indians offer was much lower than Ramirez's agent demanded, it should be noted that the Tribe offer would still have been the largest in MLB history at the time.

Unfortunately though, owner Larry Dolan's pockets were only so deep. (Dick Jacob's sold team to Dolan following the '99 season).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)