"March Madness" 4K (though i doubt it)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think you are being very optimistic. I doubt 4K is even in the top three reasons why stations want to go ATSC 3.0.
I am sure it isn’t either. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the big cities (NY,LA,etc) go 4K shortly after

What were the first stations to go HD?
First High Definition TV
On July 23, 1996, WRAL-TV (then the CBS affiliate in Raleigh, North Carolina; now affiliated with NBC) became the first television station in the United States to broadcast a digital television signal. HDTV sets became available in the U.S. in 1998 and broadcasts began around November 1998.

That said, Going Digital is not the same as going HD.
==============================================================
HDTV sets became available in the U.S. in 1998 and broadcasts began around November 1998. The first public HDTV broadcast was of the launch of the space shuttle Discovery and John Glenn's return to space; that broadcast was made possible in part by the Harris Corporation.[3] The first commercial broadcast of a local sporting event in HD was during Major League Baseball's Opening Day on March 31, 1998, the Texas Rangers against the Chicago White Sox from The Ballpark in Arlington in Arlington, TX. The telecast was produced by LIN Productions, and overseen by LIN Productions president and Texas Rangers television executive producer Lee Spieckerman. The game was also the inaugural telecast on the digital channel of Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas NBC affiliate KXAS channel 5. The historic event was simultaneously shown via satellite at a reception attended by members of congress, the FCC and other luminaries in Washington, DC. This telecast was also the first commercial HD broadcast in the state of Texas.[4] The first major sporting event broadcast nationwide in HD was Super Bowl XXXIV on January 30, 2000. By the 2014–15 season every network show producing new episodes had transitioned to high definition.[5]

And the majority, well all of those sets were tube HD monitors. HD TV's we know today were a good 5-10 years out.

And the majority, well all of those sets were tube HD monitors. HD TV's we know today were a good 5-10 years out.
Right ...
TV's have changed GREATLY since the first HD sets ...
I use to have a massively huge Sony 34" HD TV ... was clearly the size of any other tube type in its generation.

If you look at the TV's back then and then look at what we have now, its amazing what we can do with less than a 1/4 in TV thickness ...

Right ...
TV's have changed GREATLY since the first HD sets ...
I use to have a massively huge Sony 34" HD TV ... was clearly the size of any other tube type in its generation.

If you look at the TV's back then and then look at what we have now, its amazing what we can do with less than a 1/4 in TV thickness ...
You could argue those tube sets looked a lot better. Sure they were a few tons but a lot of them were nice analog HD sets with no compression.

Reactions: comp9 and Jimbo
I am sure it isn’t either. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the big cities (NY,LA,etc) go 4K shortly after

Another thing to consider is that Directv will never carry ANY 4K locals via satellite. Well, theoretically they could carry LA/NYC locals in 4K, though I wouldn't count on it. Anywhere else, if your locals go 4K and you want them on Directv, you're going to need an antenna (and hope they come out with an ATSC 3.0 version of the LCC)

Another thing to consider is that Directv will never carry ANY 4K locals via satellite. Well, theoretically they could carry LA/NYC locals in 4K, though I wouldn't count on it. Anywhere else, if your locals go 4K and you want them on Directv, you're going to need an antenna (and hope they come out with an ATSC 3.0 version of the LCC)
Oh I agree. Directv isn’t going to carry them. But it could kick start things to the point where it may be possible to stream them

I remember when our PBS station started broadcasting an HD sub channel, and our CBS station had an HD sub channel of the Masters one year, they both looked stunning. Of course now they have sub channels on them and they don’t look as good anymore.

One of my locals just announced on the first that they've added two new subchannels - a total of four. I haven't watched anything on it yet except the news so I don't know how much PQ is affected, but it ain't gonna be good.

That's why I don't believe ATSC 3.0 will bring 4K broadcasts. The stations are too greedy to devote most of the signal bandwidth to a single station, when they could have tons of subchannels - and with ATSC 3.0 some of them can be PAY subchannels.

As I predicted, just the games at one location each week, since there is only one 4K production truck to go around...

Damn - Big Ten is not airing in 4K tonight. It is a replay tomorrow night. Tonight is NBA on 106, Big East on 105, and normal programming on 104.

Wish they would have used 104 for it, or even added a 106-1 or 107 or something, they have the bandwidth to do it.

Yes I had the same problem on all both 4k games. It was happening on most commercials as well. On the HD broadcast, the audio was fine.

Reactions: dtv757
Yes I had the same problem on all both 4k games. It was happening on most commercials as well. On the HD broadcast, the audio was fine.
If I were to guess this could be similar to when fox first did the world cup and they didn't properly check the 4k feed

The first few world cup games didnt have commentary.

So warner/Turner networks may not have properly checked the 4k feed

Just taking a random guess

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I wish AT&T would put up a game mix channel.

Dish Network subscribers are enjoying quad PIP. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)