MAX cable length for a V3000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

C-band

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Texas
What is the MAX length of cable you can use for a V3000? I want to place the V3000 in a box mounted on the pole about 75-100' away from the reciever. Will I have any issues? I don't "think" there will be any problems but I want to be sure.

There shouldn't be any issues that I can think of. Use Solid Copper Core RG6 coaxial if you can. You want to weatherproof the box to prevent moisture and critters from going in.

I assume you have power available for the GBox at the pole?

Yes, I will upon installation. The box is a NEMA enclosure. Its sealed.
I am using a good RG6U cable.

concerns:

The box is a NEMA enclosure. Its sealed.
There shouldn't be any problem.
The diseqc signals should travel down the coax to the box unhindered, much like remote-mounting any small H-H motor.
The shorter wiring between the Gbox 3000 and the motor should be a benefit.

I haven't fired up my Gbox yet, so I don't know how much heat it produces in operation (or idle).
The fact that your NEMA box is sealed is a little worrisome.
If not for any heat generated, then for heating by the sun on a bright day.

I'd try locating a temperature sensor inside the box and monitoring during summer days, to assure yourself all is well.
Make sure the box is a light color, and locate it in the shade.

Whats the advantage to having the GBox outside?

I keep mine inside the house where its safe and I can monitor it. There is 130 feet of sprinkler wire from the GBox to my Dish motor and it does fine.

Brett

What is the MAX length of cable you can use for a V3000? I want to place the V3000 in a box mounted on the pole about 75-100' away from the reciever. Will I have any issues? I don't "think" there will be any problems but I want to be sure.
I also do not think that u will face any problem. So do not worry at all.

There shouldn't be any problem.
The diseqc signals should travel down the coax to the box unhindered, much like remote-mounting any small H-H motor.
The shorter wiring between the Gbox 3000 and the motor should be a benefit.

I haven't fired up my Gbox yet, so I don't know how much heat it produces in operation (or idle).
The fact that your NEMA box is sealed is a little worrisome.
If not for any heat generated, then for heating by the sun on a bright day.

I'd try locating a temperature sensor inside the box and monitoring during summer days, to assure yourself all is well.
Make sure the box is a light color, and locate it in the shade

I had thought of the heat problem. The NEMA box is light grey in color. "If" I have a het problem I might be able to snag a supercool heat exchanger from work. We used them in these same NEMA boxes with electronic components inside and they will keep the box within a set range of temperature.

Whats the advantage to having the GBox outside?

I keep mine inside the house where its safe and I can monitor it. There is 130 feet of sprinkler wire from the GBox to my Dish motor and it does fine.

Brett

Well....one is shorter run of cable as Anole mentioned. I hadn't thought of that. That alone should make it easier on the motor control side of the V3000 because of less cable run. I just want a clean install. I'm using it as a DiSEqC 1.2 positioner not as a standalone positioner. Once the BUD is pointed and tuned there should be no need to even look at the V3000 since everything can be done remotely via the reciever.

I should pick out a box today at work. I'll post pics if I get a chance. I did look at the bottom of the G-Box. There is no way of "mounting" it. It will have to be set on a shelf.

If you are worried about heat from the sun, I have used an 'umbrella' to eliminate the problem with large heat generating electrical equipment located in Louisanna. Mount a suitable cover some inches above the NEMA enclosure so that it is always in the shade. The sun hits the cover, not the NEMA enclosure and the cover is heated by the sun on top and cools by the air below. Your NEMA enclosure remains at approximately air temperature, regardless of sun effects. Good luck.

Hello C-band,

If you will be not satisfied with any suggestion then i personally advice you to take help from google with the use of "MAX cable length for a V3000" keyword. I am sure you will got appropriate results from them.

on second thought:

If it's 100 feet from the receiver to the Vbox, and the box is right at the dish...
...then I see no great advantage to going to all the trouble.
The motors use 36 volts so that voltage drop on a long cable is not a problem.
Most will run fine on 24 volts out of 4DTV receivers, too.
So, now we have the following unnecessary complications:
- NEMA box
- cooling box
- shelf in box
- 110 vac at the box
- no ability to command the Vbox with the remote

The "clean install" is in the house.
You'll thank yourself for an in-house install first time you have to troubleshoot a problem or tweak the system.
I'm one for over-complicating things, but there is just no good argument for this level of difficulty.

I had thought of the heat problem. The NEMA box is light grey in color. "If" I have a het problem I might be able to snag a supercool heat exchanger from work. We used them in these same NEMA boxes with electronic components inside and they will keep the box within a set range of temperature.

Well....one is shorter run of cable as Anole mentioned. I hadn't thought of that. That alone should make it easier on the motor control side of the V3000 because of less cable run. I just want a clean install. I'm using it as a DiSEqC 1.2 positioner not as a standalone positioner. Once the BUD is pointed and tuned there should be no need to even look at the V3000 since everything can be done remotely via the reciever.

I should pick out a box today at work. I'll post pics if I get a chance. I did look at the bottom of the G-Box. There is no way of "mounting" it. It will have to be set on a shelf.
Now if you believe that, I have some prime Florida real estate for you............lol
DiSEqC is not totally stable, and difficult to troubleshoot. Keeping it inside is a good idea, and the remote for it handy as well.
I have the Motek, the 'economy' V-box, and I have never got it to work as DiSEqC 1.2 (goto any setpoint) as it claims, even though the CS 6000 has that motor option available. It does 1.0 fine but that is only 4 posititions and not very versitile in setup. I could never get this combo to work like I originally intended for it to. Maybe the 'G' will work in 1.2 with your rx.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts