May 4 - Live Retailer Chat Recap!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
But overall Im a happy with Dish and glad to see Dish looking towards the future. MPEG4 is going to Rock cant waite untill the 411 comes it will be cool! :)

Yeah that should solve the heavy compression problems but I don't think folks will have to wait till fall to get the Voom channels on another Sat. IMHO

I wonder if when MPEG4 comes out if my locals which are on 105 now (I dont ahve SD yet because I have been avoding it due to the cost of a 44 which is needed because I have skyangel on 61.5) I wonder if my locals will ever move off 105? when MPEG4 comes out. You would think with MPEG4 and the new E10 that is being launched that all SD programming would come from 119/110.. (cheaper that way) leaving 61.5/148, 105, and 121 for other stuff. (HD, Internationals etc)

I am also thinking that 61.5 is temporary for VoOm channels. If you have two DP-34 switches then are they going to swap them both out for DPP-44's? Some people do have more than four tuners.

That 25 million receivers what will be swapped in next 3 years cover all models, not just HD. But we heard from the Dish Summit only new HD channels will be in MPEG-4.
So much contradicted info :(.

The first channels to switch to mpeg4 are HD, eventually everything will be Mpeg4.

And if you can think that far ahead eventually every channel will be HD :)

jimboeau said:
Do you think 61.5 is only a temporary spot until they go 129? I just got a 61.5 installed yesterday... I guess I can rotate it to 129 if I have to....

I HOPE NOT! The 129 is 20 degrees here on the East coast and considering that 70% of the population is out here, that would be STUPID! The 129 will probably be for more LiL.

Yeah. I think 129 will be more locals.

They chart they showed at Team Summit, showed making sure all core programming was on 119/110.

The chart even did not list locals on 119, making it seem as they wanna move those locals over to 110, the missing core programming (like HD) back to 119.

The core locals (like top 50 markets) would be on 110, then the rest of the locals would be on superdishes wings and probably 129

Is this swapout for the Mpeg4 receivers going to be a free swap or will we have to pay for them ? Will it be as simple as just mailing back your old receivers and getting the new ones ?

No clue, I sure hope it would be free, but I don't recall Dish tackling something this big for free.

But Charliehas to talk to the investors tomorrow and then the tech nerds at dish talk to us on monday, so hopefully we'll get some more MPEG4 details after then

It sure would be terrific if the MPEG4 receiver swap were free, but I highly doubt that Dish will mail out thousands of boxes for nothing in return.

I would guess that there will be some sort of charge based on a scale that corresponds to the receiver presently owned. For example, the charge for an 811 replacement would be less than the 942 swap fee.

But, hey, who knows? We can all speculate until the cows come home.

Its a whole lot cheaper (and easier) to swap out receivers than it is to build and launch more satellitles and develop and install new, bigger dishes.

StevenD said:
Its a whole lot cheaper (and easier) to swap out receivers than it is to build and launch more satellitles and develop and install new, bigger dishes.
I suppose you are right but the price tag will be five billion or more and that is a lot of money even today.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes it was, and wasnt the Super Dish Super?

Talk about the BIGGEST FLOP outside the Edsel. (And let's not talk about the 921 PLEASE) :D

That was due to AMC-2 and not the dish design. They definately should have done more testing for that one.

Sapient said:
What is/was Superdish, and what was wrong with it?
Sapient you have been a member of this site for over a year and never heard of a superdish? You got to be pulling my leg. Anyway it's a satellite dish that receives 3 satellites from different orbital locations. 110,119 and 121 or 105. I receive my local channels from the 105 satellite thus it being the 105 superdish. I could go into the problems associated with the superdish but I will let someone else do that or use the search button.

Oh, I've heard of Superdish many times. I am just a selfish person, and since I don't have, need, or want one, I never bothered to find out what they are. Mostly, I just want what I have to work. I can't follow half the talk here about switches and LNBs and the such.

Sapient said:
Oh, I've heard of Superdish many times. I am just a selfish person, and since I don't have, need, or want one, I never bothered to find out what they are. Mostly, I just want what I have to work. I can't follow half the talk here about switches and LNBs and the such.
I hear you. I didn't know anything about dbs until I started surfing this site. It's a wonderfull place to learn. I do agree with you about just wanting it to work. It took me over a year to get my superdish from the time I ordered my local channels. I have three 510's and they work great. I have had other boxes that did not work so well. I think that when DishNetwork starts implementing MPEG4 thats going to be a nightmare. If you ever need help with terms used here look at the top of the page there is a glossary of terms. I don't think your selfish. One buys a product or service it should work as advertised.

I wonder if Dish is meaning they are going to sub work to retailers to do the "swap out"?? That would be fantastic!! I work for a retailer who has been in the "Premier" status for sometime now and that would make our co. a likely canidate!! Much $$ for easy work...aside from having to make sure each and every install is spec upon completion. Still more work is more $$...makes the wife happy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)