Maybe Leaving Dish for DTV: Good or Bad Idea?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
A little bit comes from modest discounts. >$45/month isn't fair to everyone else that has to throw in to subsidize them.
I don't even give any consideration to that when I'm negotiating for a deal. That's not my job! My job is to save me money.
THIS.

And if it's just Showtime and HBO you need, you could drop the other unneeded Premium packages and get SHO/HBO for cheaper and save more than the $260 over the next year, without having to play the switch game year after year.
Absolutely. I've juggled them a bit over the years. Now my current discounts on the premiums lets me effectively have all of them. Starz as a VOD only for HD movies is fine with me since there is little on it of interest, so the Dish Movie pack makes good sense and at $5/month is a real bargain.

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk

Reactions: SpencerCat
So, have you made a decision yet? Looks like we laid out a few different options that would save you more than switching...

So, have you made a decision yet? Looks like we laid out a few different options that would save you more than switching...

"a few different options"? You guys are amazing! I thought the water was almost crystal clear, but now it's muddied to the point of making my head hurt. :boom

It's starting to get late, so I'm going to put on hold any more thinking until tomorrow morning.

My CURRENT thinking (subject to change, of course) is that I'm going to call Dish tomorrow morning and see what they will offer me to stay. If I'm not happy with what they say, then I'm going to call DTV and see if the $200 Visa card is still available to me (it was a month ago). If the card is no longer available, then ...?

I'm beginning to feel like I'm :deadhorse.

They're still working the $200 visa gift card promo. Just got the advert in the mail within the last couple days.

My CURRENT thinking (subject to change, of course) is that I'm going to call Dish tomorrow morning and see what they will offer me to stay. If I'm not happy with what they say, then I'm going to call DTV and see if the $200 Visa card is still available to me (it was a month ago). If the card is no longer available, then ...?
But you seem to be missing some details. You stated that you need SHO and HBO. If you cut the others, and get the $10 HBO deal, and maybe half off SHO for 6 months, you'd save more than the $260, and you could do that right now without talking to anyone. Then you still have the option to switch later. Seems a no-brainer to me.

Me too on the :deadhorse

Just ask immediately for the loyalty department. Don't stop until they transfer you.
Why would loyalty be interested? He is still under contract?
But you seem to be missing some details. You stated that you need SHO and HBO. If you cut the others, and get the $10 HBO deal, and maybe half off SHO for 6 months, you'd save more than the $260, and you could do that right now without talking to anyone. Then you still have the option to switch later. Seems a no-brainer to me.

Me too on the :deadhorse
Wonder if he is eligible being under contract and only barely into his second year. He was already getting $50 off a month!

I don't even give any consideration to that when I'm negotiating for a deal. That's not my job! My job is to save me money.
Of course, it should at least be filed away in order to help develop a reasonable expectation for what will be made available in an offer.

Wonder if he is eligible being under contract and only barely into his second year. He was already getting $50 off a month!
I'm still under contract and when the 3 months free were up I went online to cancel and was automagically offered all the 1/2 price deals on Premiums including Dish Movie Pac and the HBO $10 deal.

In the past I've talked to loyalty while in contract and they were very interested in striking some deals. Some very good, some just so-so. These days all the cable/sat providers are well aware of the trends that aren't favoring them.

Loyalty is who handles cancellations and acts as the retention department as well. They are where the big credits come from.

Loyalty is who handles cancellations and acts as the retention department as well. They are where the big credits come from.
But 14 months into a contract, as in just signed up with Dish? I wouldn't expect them to be too giving. Granted, if he has AEP, that may help.

They handle all cancellation queries, no matter the time left, and if it means making a save(they are dinged anytime anyone cancels on their tag.). If it appears the customer is adamant about cancelling, they will usually be given the world. If the customer says they want a reasonable specific price point, such as a $25x12, they are likely to get it so that agent still gets his bonus.

"a few different options"? You guys are amazing! I thought the water was almost crystal clear, but now it's muddied to the point of making my head hurt. :boom

It's starting to get late, so I'm going to put on hold any more thinking until tomorrow morning.

I'm beginning to feel like I'm :deadhorse.

I had directv for a year and called to see what deals they were offering for me to stay . They wouldn't offer anything so after I cancelled I was receiving calls daily offering me close to new customer pricing. Also on the $200 gift card , I had to fight with them to even get that as they said I couldn't combine it with the refer a friend. So after about 30 minutes on chat with them , they finally agreed to send it.

They handle all cancellation queries, no matter the time left, and if it means making a save(they are dinged anytime anyone cancels on their tag.). If it appears the customer is adamant about cancelling, they will usually be given the world. If the customer says they want a reasonable specific price point, such as a $25x12, they are likely to get it so that agent still gets his bonus.
Sounds like a silly reward/punish system.

It is, but it is "effective". They will pester the crap to get someone to with stay, or hang up and talk to a different agent. They will also throw huge credits around to save their bonus as well. It's suppose to motivate the agents to make as many saves as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)