Maybe moving to DTV. Cost?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JustinRN

Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
Centennial, CO
Hey all, I'm a long time Dish subscriber (~15 years) and thinking about giving Direct TV a try for 2 years. I'm getting ready to move and I'm not really impressed with what Dish has to offer for me to sign up for another 2 year contract. I did a lot of digging on costs and I think I have it figured out, but want to double check. The best offer I can find is one I got in the mail that gives me an "extra" $10 per month off the package prices for 24 months (most other deals I find, the "extra" bit is $5 for the first 12 months). So here's how it looks like things will break down:

Choice Package - $24.99/mo for 12 months then $54.99/month for 12 months.
Regional Sports fee - $3/mo (Rep confirmed I'll get charged this)
HD DVR fee - $15/mo (the offer I have includes a a $10/month discount for 24 months off the normal $25/mo)
Genie Mini fee - $6/mo

So by my math, I'm going to be paying $48.99/month for 12 months, then 78.99/month for 12 months.

I read about a $10/mo HD fee, but one rep I talked to said I wouldn't have to pay this. I'm guessing it's built into the Genie fees. Also, there is suppose to be no charge for any of the hardware and no charge for installation. I'll need my dish to be mounted on a tripod since I'll be in a rental house for the next 8 months and can't attach to the structure, so I'm hoping they don't charge for that.

Can anyone tell me if I'm missing any charges or if I can do better than this? I saw that DTV has a $150 Best Buy card they are giving away for new installations on their website, but not sure if I can combine that with the other offers I'm looking at. I also saw that there is the $10 x 10 month referral offer which I think I can combine.

If it matters, I also have Verizon Wireless, CenturyLink for internet, and a spectacular credit score. I'll be moving again in about 8 months, but I figure even if they don't want to do another free installation for me, I can setup and aim a dish on a tripod myself easily enough (I've done it a couple times before many years ago).

One last random question... Am I guaranteed to get an HR44 & C41, or may I end up with the HR34 and C31?

Hey all, I'm a long time Dish subscriber (~15 years) and thinking about giving Direct TV a try for 2 years. I'm getting ready to move and I'm not really impressed with what Dish has to offer for me to sign up for another 2 year contract. I did a lot of digging on costs and I think I have it figured out, but want to double check. The best offer I can find is one I got in the mail that gives me an "extra" $10 per month off the package prices for 24 months (most other deals I find, the "extra" bit is $5 for the first 12 months). So here's how it looks like things will break down:

HD DVR fee - $15/mo (the offer I have includes a a $10/month discount for 24 months off the normal $25/mo)
Genie Mini fee - $6/mo

So by my math, I'm going to be paying $48.99/month for 12 months, then 78.99/month for 12 months.

I read about a $10/mo HD fee, but one rep I talked to said I wouldn't have to pay this. I'm guessing it's built into the Genie fees. Also, there is suppose to be no charge for any of the hardware and no charge for installation. I'll need my dish to be mounted on a tripod since I'll be in a rental house for the next 8 months and can't attach to the structure, so I'm hoping they don't charge for that.

Can anyone tell me if I'm missing any charges or if I can do better than this? I saw that DTV has a $150 Best Buy card they are giving away for new installations on their website, but not sure if I can combine that with the other offers I'm looking at. I also saw that there is the $10 x 10 month referral offer which I think I can combine.

If it matters, I also have Verizon Wireless, CenturyLink for internet, and a spectacular credit score. I'll be moving again in about 8 months, but I figure even if they don't want to do another free installation for me, I can setup and aim a dish on a tripod myself easily enough (I've done it a couple times before many years ago).

One last random question... Am I guaranteed to get an HR44 & C41, or may I end up with the HR34 and C31?

:welcome to the site !

No guarantee what recvrs you'll get ....

Have you tried looking into the AAA discount, or Costco discount ?
Look them over as well before deciding.

You would have to be a AAA sub, but don't need to be a Costco member.

Also, you may be able to get a referral, that would save you money as well.

I am a AAA member, so that's a great call. I always forget to see if they offer a discount for what I'm looking at. It's crazy how useful that member ship is. :)

Man the fine print turns out to be a killer. It looks like they extra $10/mo they are offering is just a rearranging of the DVR fee discount. It also says you can't combine with other offers, specifically mentioning the referral program.

On the bright side, AAA is discounting $10/mo for 20 months on top of everything else. That almost brings me back to where I thought I originally stood. haha

Genie Mini fee - $6/mo

If you are coming from Dish, the HR34 will seem like a dog to you.. refuse the install unless they offer you an HR44.

FWIW, on the DTV website, they (or used to have) a very clear chart of your per-month pricing over the 24 months of the contract.. just go thru the online configurator thingee and stop just before hitting order.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts