Maybe the best 80 bucks I have ever spent!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

VIPERS-PIT

Pub Member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Sorry but I really wanted to share this "HDTV" info with my D* friends. I was in Wal-mart this morning and came across a DVD player that said it had HDMI and upconverted to 1080i "near HD quality".

The machine is "off brand" CyberHome DVD 655, I figured I was out nothing giving it a try, so I picked one up. 80 bucks for a quasi HD DVD!!! Well I hooked it up using one of my HDMI cables (it comes with one but I wouldn't trust it) and Monster Cable Digital Coax cable(only digital input open on my receiver).

We watched Saving Private Ryan to test fast action images and DTS sound (the box did not list it as a dts player, It does pass DTS!). I saw 0 artifacts during the massive fight scenes and explosions during the beginning of the movie!!

We then watched Rules of Engagement To test DD sound and more fast action and bright scenes (also has my 2 fav actors Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L Jackson), This machine has (so far) performed above all possible expectations! Picture is better than ANY DVD player I have ever seen.

It auto detected the HDMI output for easy set up. Setting up the digital output and 16X9 format was very straight forward. The DVD 655 has a uniqe feature that can auto strech the picture to fit your screen, this worked smoother and cleaner looking than the zoom settings on my TV. It also Auto detects the aspect ratio of the DVD and saves you from ajusting your TV to lose the black bars!

IT is as wide as the H20 and a bit shorter, about the same depth. The remote has more funtions than any one I have run into. You can switch from 480p to 1080i on the fly during a movie. It has the same PQ as D* HDTV with out artifacts and on par with OTA HD without any pixelzations. It was super smooth and showed no rough edges at all.

I will use this machine A ton in the next few days and let you all know if it keeps working up to this level, but I already feel I got 80 bucks worth of value out of the box. :D :D :D

Cyberhome dvd

I bought the cyber home dvd recorder from wally world for 79.99, and it works better than the pos Go video I paid 229.00 for. I was surprised and the quality is good as well. To bad I dont have a tv with HDMI otherwise I would get one as well.

great buys , guys,

thanks!!

BTW dodge and eric....DUCK!!!!!!!

the naysayers are gonna tear you apart by tomorrow at this time....LOL

DVD player

Eric;
Thanks for the great report. I was thinking about purchasing a similar unit.
My HDTV (Mitsubshi) doesn`t have the HDMI interface but it does have an S Video connector. Will this recorder produce the results you described utilizing a S video connection??

I do not believe so. It does 480p with component cables, but not 1080i. S-video may give you 480p but I am not sure and have not tried it.

You must have HDMI to get the 1080i.

Dragon, yes I expect to get shot at for this. I already have my safety goggles on!!

S-Video will give 480i only. The HDTV set itself can upconvert to 1080i, but the quality will depend on the scaler built into the set.

Alan

Eric Goempel said:
I do not believe so. It does 480p with component cables, but not 1080i. S-video may give you 480p but I am not sure and have not tried it.

You must have HDMI to get the 1080i.

Dragon, yes I expect to get shot at for this. I already have my safety goggles on!!

and a goalies mask, nfl offensive linemen pads and ear cotton:eek:

Ill get my gear bag ready. Should I put my "Bill Cowler spit shield" on as well? Sorry HAD to throw that one In. Just watched coach at the combine on NFL network. I respect him very much.

Al, Thank you for the info, I have next to zero experience with S-video. I went from composite video to component video

hmm, is there such a thing as an HDMI splitter (like there is for component)?? My TV only has one HDMI input and I already use it for my HD Tivo.

Yes there are HDMI switches out there, Plus the new top line recievers are doing HDMI switching!!!! The future is bright!!!!

I spent 40 for the same effect but using my PC as my upconvert. I however, know it is not true HD, only simulated. Hmmm, HD Lite upconverting DVD players anyone. :D

duckydan said:
I purchased a HDMI -> DVI adapter from radioshack for 19.99 for my H20.
You spent too much. Monoprice.com has them for $9 shipped to my door.

LINK

Monoprice is an awesome store for any type of cabling needs.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts