Maz 3.1.0.0 is now out

stargaze

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Out there somewhere
Maz has a new update out. 3.1.0.0
Not sure what has been updated but it does appear to be quicker to start up then the 3.0.0.0 version.
After the update I did notice a language problem until I closed out the program and re-started it. After a restart the program again defaulted to English.

It has been reported that Maz 3.1 is now working for those people who has problems with it before. Some could never get it to operate for them in the past but the new 3.1 version downloaded separately has resolved their issues and the program is now working.

3.1 seems to be working here. I finally have English and no access violation on startup. Now that the language is correct maybe I can figure out what I'm doing!

When I launched MaZEdit today, I was prompted that an update existed and I selected to proceed with the update. The upgrade was very fast and it retained all my setup information from before.

I have always been able to utilize MaZ before, with some quirky behavior here and there. But, after installing the upgrade I noticed a huge improvement right off the bat! It launches so much quicker on my Windows XP PC that it is nearly immediate.

I installed the upgrade on my Windows Vista PC as well. It also starts up much faster. However, for the oddest reason I STILL must have a DVD disc in the drive for it to load properly. Otherwise, it prompts me to enter a disc. I can keep closing that prompt window and it returns several times but it finally does open MaZ, but it comes up defaulted to Spanish and won't allow me to change it (no selection in the language window is present at all). That quirk did not change for me (has to be something with Vista and my PC settings).

RADAR

Just updated my MaZ via the automatic update, seemed to work good until trying to log in to the Azbox. Seemed to connect but wouldn't do anything (FTP & Telnet showed green) and could not get either to respond. Killed MaZ and re-loaded it. Now won't log in (password error). Tried another FTP and Telnet app and same thing, password error. Tried FTP from the AzBox menu and it asks for a password (I have always just used the default userid and passwd) and won't log in locally either.
Seems the application somehow changed the password?
Now I can not access the channel data or configuration settings. The receiver still works fine after re-booting etc. I do have a concern though that if the password was changed through MaZ, someone else now has the userid and passwd for my receiver and possible remote access?? Needless to say I have now configured all the connections to "disable".
Further check... my AzBox now responds to an IP address from OpenDNS.com as well as the 192.168.1.116 I have on my lan.
(network cable is now unplugged!)
I must have downloaded a hacked version of MaZ, or maybe not hacked but modified to add a specific network setup. Will check the source code from the updated version I have.
Please beware of the auto updater as I am quite sure this is the source of the problem.

Now... How can I access the Azbox and reset the password and userid without wiping the whole thing? Ver 9.5020

-C.
(I am going to try updating firmware to latest version)

Last edited:
Just updated my MaZ via the automatic update, seemed to work good until trying to log in to the Azbox. Seemed to connect but wouldn't do anything (FTP & Telnet showed green) and could not get either to respond. Killed MaZ and re-loaded it. Now won't log in (password error). Tried another FTP and Telnet app and same thing, password error. Tried FTP from the AzBox menu and it asks for a password (I have always just used the default userid and passwd) and won't log in locally either.
Seems the application somehow changed the password?
Now I can not access the channel data or configuration settings. The receiver still works fine after re-booting etc. I do have a concern though that if the password was changed through MaZ, someone else now has the userid and passwd for my receiver and possible remote access?? Needless to say I have now configured all the connections to "disable".
Further check... my AzBox now responds to an IP address from OpenDNS.com as well as the 192.168.1.116 I have on my lan.
(network cable is now unplugged!)
I must have downloaded a hacked version of MaZ, or maybe not hacked but modified to add a specific network setup. Will check the source code from the updated version I have.
Please beware of the auto updater as I am quite sure this is the source of the problem.

Now... How can I access the Azbox and reset the password and userid without wiping the whole thing? Ver 9.5020

-C.
(I am going to try updating firmware to latest version)

NO!!!!! Don't do that!

RADAR

Cham,

Don't fret. There is nothing wrong with leaving your AZBox as-is. The problem is just that the download of the upgrade from MaZ 3.0 to 3.1 didn't take well with your PC.

Go into your PC and uninstall all MaZ programs, delete all traces of the setup files from your HD (if you feel you must). Save the installation program for 3.0.0.0 onto a CD just in case you need to reinstall that version. Then redownload the latest version (3.1.0.0) and install it from scratch.

Some things may have just got hosed up during the download and upgrade/installation process. That is all. I sincerely doubt that it is a hack or virus or adware problem. At most, the problem is in your PC with a corrupt file. Some data just didn't get downloaded well. And, do not worry, no one is going around hacking into other's AZBoxes. You are safe there. That's on your local (home) network, not the internet. If someone is, it's your roomate or family member within the house using your computer network... HA HA!

If you still have troubles, start a new post about it and we will discuss it with you. But don't go messing up your AZBox setup for this reason. The MaZEdit update has absolutely nothing to do with your AZBox itself at all. It is just the support program in your PC.

RADAR

Last edited:
Radar,
Actually did all of the above and you were right, was just bad install. See pm.
Downloaded version from Stargaze's post above and works fine now.
-C.

Radar,
Actually did all of the above and you were right, was just bad install. See pm.
Downloaded version from Stargaze's post above and works fine now.
-C.

I said before... "I am always right". LOL :) I am just kidding on that, but I couldn't resist the temptation!

As I replied to your PM, I am glad you didn't go to all the trouble to upgrade your box with a different firmware and what-not. You are safe and usually it is just a hiccough in the download of the upgrade data or a minor glitch that fouls everything up. Makes it look really bad, but it really isn't. Just wipe the slate clean and restart and usually everything is corrected. Unfortunately, MaZEdit has a bit of a poor track record in its operation and compatibility with certain operating systems. I cannot explain why. But, obviously the original author knows this and has been working on making corrections and adaptations.

RADAR

I believe the problems with maz has been corrected if you wipe off 3.0 completely from your pc and download the 3.1 version.
Several people who reported problems with 3.0 and could not get it to operate properly did exactly that and 3.1 has worked for them.
In 3.1 you can also turn off the automatic updates.

I believe the problems with maz has been corrected if you wipe off 3.0 completely from your pc and download the 3.1 version.
Several people who reported problems with 3.0 and could not get it to operate properly did exactly that and 3.1 has worked for them.
In 3.1 you can also turn off the automatic updates.

Everyone,

That procedure (wiping the slate clean and starting anew - rather than just updating over the top of the last MaZ version) may be the ticket in almost all instances. If there were an underlying error with the previous version, maybe even one that you were not aware of, that could have possibly continued the conflict on with the upgrade when allowed to just proceeed via the auto-update. Usually, with most programs you don't have to worry about this. But, since MaZ had poor performance before, it would be wise to save your old version installation programs off to the side (on a backup disc just in case the new version isn't what you hoped) and then wipe the slate clean and try anew... Totally fresh.

The fellow who compiled MaZ (Morser) is just like many of us. He doesn't work for OpenSat, he just writes programs and publishes them for us to use to help us with our ventures. He probably just has a nice computer room to do so within, but he cannot test his programs for everyone's specific application. Maybe he writes this stuff using a Windows ??? system or a Linux ??? system and does his best to translate it to other OS's, but you just cannot test everything. That is just not "normally" possible. Same case for Telesat and many other programmers. They are not a "business" entity, so they don't have unlimited resourses to verify their work, but I think they are home brewed programmers that do one HECK of a job overall.

Yeah, I think that "WE" are their staff, although we do not get paid and neither do they. But we report back to them that the program has this or that flaw and they go back to the drawing board to correct it. They don't hear our immediate complaints, but it gets filtered back to them eventually.

This FTA venture is MUCH different from Dish Network or DirecTV or other providers who have a full time staff of techs and engineers and programmers who (try) to verify the functionality of their programming and changes constantly before they are realeased to the public. FTA programmers are doing this mostly free gratis and for fun and have no staff to assist them other than US.

Just remember one thing to keep it all in perspective... This is a personal DIY "HOBBY" and that is all it is. If you expect more from it than that, you will be disappointed.

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts