ME TV On Dish

I'm going to assume the opposite. The local channel will want exclusive access to the market in order to keep their local advertisers happy.

Hopefully we find out soon enough.
They already have that. ME TV provides their signal and like numerous other channels provides for local ad insertion slots. This is nothing new and I believe is a regular practice across TV.

In Nashville MeTV is a subchannel of the ABC affiliate and is broadcast in full screen (almost) HD. I'll bet if Dish does add it it will be SD like ION.

In Nashville MeTV is a subchannel of the ABC affiliate and is broadcast in full screen (almost) HD. I'll bet if Dish does add it it will be SD like ION.
No need to bet. The uplinked test channel is SD.

"full screen (almost) HD"? Do you mean 4x3 content zoomed, stretched and cropped? No thanks. I'd rather the new MeTV channel Dish provides retain the original content aspect ratio.

Reactions: TheKrell
No need to bet. The uplinked test channel is SD.

"full screen (almost) HD"? Do you mean 4x3 content zoomed, stretched and cropped? No thanks. I'd rather the new MeTV channel Dish provides retain the original content aspect ratio.
I get METV OTA from 2 markets - one SD and the other HD. The SD is 4:3. I have my TV set to stretch on SD channels. It looks stretched and grainy. On the HD channel, the shows are in 4:3 (black bars on each side), but the commercials and promos are 16:9 full screen and look great.

As a sub channel that would be unusual and I am guessing it is not in HD but in 16X9 SD 480I.

Edit - looking it up it is listed as 480I. (SD) 16X9

I get METV OTA from 2 markets - one SD and the other HD. The SD is 4:3. I have my TV set to stretch on SD channels. It looks stretched and grainy. On the HD channel, the shows are in 4:3 (black bars on each side), but the commercials and promos are 16:9 full screen and look great.
If the show/movie was shot in widescreen, then it is full screen.

As I posted before, my local affiliate stretches 4x3 shows halfway to full 16x9, so the black bars on the side are half as wide and the people look fat. It also zooms the picture a bit so the top and bottom are cropped off. It is very annoying.

If one of them is on a main (.1) channel it probably is HD though of course the programming is mostly SD. Here on WFLA it is SD, 16X9 and it looks good.

Keep in mind that with the re-pack a station can have more than one HD channel. But this is probably not the case for METV.

Keep in mind that with the re-pack a station can have more than one HD channel. But this is probably not the case for METV.

Would seem unlikely till 3.0 or if there are only two channels? (or it came from a different real frequency but showed at the same virtual?)

Reactions: comfortably_numb
My METV is on 48.1. It is not on a subchannel to ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC , CW, or MY. To get the major networks OTA via the Hopper3 OTA Tuner my outside antenna has to be precisely pointed. That pointing cannot pick up METV. I hope that Dish will activate the channel.

A station can already have more than one HD channel. What you're thinking of is ATSC 3.0 and the ability to have multiple high-res HD channels. The re-pack has nothing to do with adding bandwidth.

As a sub channel that would be unusual and I am guessing it is not in HD but in 16X9 SD 480I.

Edit - looking it up it is listed as 480I. (SD) 16X9

Exactly but doesn't look too bad. Unfortunately I prefer to record it for playback later but the Dish OTA playback glitch is still there making recordings unwatchable. So, SD will be better than nothing.

Reactions: Tampa8
Exactly but doesn't look too bad. Unfortunately I prefer to record it for playback later but the Dish OTA playback glitch is still there making recordings unwatchable. So, SD will be better than nothing.

What playback glitch??? **

** Yes I know with a Hopper, no such problem with my VIP.... :p

A station can already have more than one HD channel. What you're thinking of is ATSC 3.0 and the ability to have multiple high-res HD channels. The re-pack has nothing to do with adding bandwidth.

Correct but in Traverse City Market WPBN transmits both 7.1 and 7.2 in high def. However after the repack several stations are combined signals like NY WNBC 4 will be 1080 along with WNJU ch 47 1080 utilizing the same frequency

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)