Mercury II Software Bugs V0151

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bill190

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
I installed Mercury II software Version 0151 and found the following problems...

In Menu/Antenna Setup
Press Red button to edit TP

-Can change TP Frequency OK.
-Can change TP Polarity OK.
-But when I try to enter a new Symbol Rate, the numbers on the screen do not change. However the numbers are actually being entered. If you press Edit TP and exit the screen, the numbers will have been entered OK.

Then in Menu/Antenna Setup/Positioner (Diseqc 1.2)

-The signal meters (S and Q) do not work the same as when I go back up one level to the Antenna Setup menu. I will be moving my dish and the receiver will begin to get a good signal, but the signal meter in the Positioner menu does not change.

I have a VBox II and can move my dish with the remote for the VBox II. So if I go up one menu level to Antenna Setup and move my dish with the VBox II remote, then the signal meters in this menu work OK and indicate that I am getting a good signal as the dish moves to the satellite.

So the Antenna Setup signal meters seem to work OK, but the signal meters in the Positioner menu do not work, or at least do not work sometimes, perhaps with weaker signals?

I reinstalled my previous software version (V0145) and these things are working again.

unresolved bug ?

I just saw SatAV recommend a new user update his Mercury II firmware to the latest.
That is 1.51, from looking at their web site.

And nobody posted a reply to this thread.
...so.... that begs the question... is this a valid bug? user error? flash problem?
or... has Fortec just screwed up ? :)
hint: I kinda trust old Bill . . .

We really need more user feedback on this question. :eureka

thanks

I reported the above bugs to Fortec, perhaps they have fixed them? I went back to 045 and it is working OK. so I'm leaving my receiver at that version. (If it works, don't fix it!)

Note I also saw a problem with V0151 where the diseqc switch was not switching (in addition to the above bugs). This may or may not have been fixed?

Note the date on the current Fortec V0151 on their web site is later than the date of my V0151.

Fortec did correct the issues and release a new V0151. A new version would have been nice!

I personally did not test the current V0151, but was assured by Fortec that the problems had been resolved.

So... I've archived two copies of ver 151, and the only way to know which is better is to see when I downloaded them?
No, maybe which has a later date inside the ZIP ... ! :eureka

Guess I'll go do that now while I'm thinking of it.
Two copies with the same revision... not very professional...:(

Bill -
Maybe you'd care to test-drive the new 151, again? :rolleyes:

Well, I feel much better that we have at least a provisional solution to this matter.
Thanks to everyone for their input.

Bill -
Maybe you'd care to test-drive the new 151, again?

Sorry I don't have the time right now. I'm busy cutting firewood in the mountains and have to get this done before they impose fire restrictions and no longer allow the use of chainsaws.

something rotten, here

Hold on , now.
I'm not buying this

Bill complained on the 18th that his version 151 firmware was buggy
The Fortec Mercury II ver 151 firmware is dated June 15th (inside the ZIP file).

The copy I downloaded on the 30th of June is dated June 15th, and the one I downloaded today July 7th, is dated June 15.
Same file date, same file time, same file size.

So, if Bill reported the bugs to Fortec after he found them, then there is no new firmware released subsequent to that...
Or, at least that's what the numbers add up to.
If someone can shoot a hole in my math, please do so. :cool:

It's one thing to name a fixed version (1.51) the same as a previous one, but it's unlikely they forged the same file time, date, and size inside the ZIP.

This only adds up if the 151 file Bill had was actually dated prior to 15 June, suggesting he either had it a few days before installing, or took a few days after installing to report here on the forum.
That would mean that when Fortec said they fixed the bugs, they had -already- known and fixed the bugs, and released a new copy (on the 15th).

This would've been so much simpler if they'd just changed the number!

As a commercial software provider, it is not uncommon for us to roll out a previous version (unreleased, but compiled/tested before the latest release) which was tested in order to address a bug that was introduced in the most recent code chain rather than trying to fix the bug and send it through the rigorous testing cycle.

As far as file date/time/size - none of that matters as much as the files checksum. A file can be the same size if only a few things were changed - it's unusual, but not unheard of. As for the date/time, that can be easily explained by their bad choice of using the same file name. If they compiled over an old version, then the original created date/time would exist on the file since the existing file was effectively only updated.

I'm not sure that's what has happened, but none of what you've described leads me to think something fishy has happened.

I won't argue the date/time/size point on the files, but will say that I have three copies, downloaded at different times, and they all have the same CRC checksum: e90edbff
( I wasn't relying on the date/time in the file name, but the actual date/time on the file inside the ZIP )

If we assume these are all identical, and all fixed, then it begs the question what Bill got that gave him trouble, and what it was that Fortec fixed...

The full file name on my V0151 is...

20070604_MERCURY2_V0151.bin

^Date^

Also keep in mind I am not going to download the software, install it on my receiver, find the bugs, then post a message about it here all in the same day!

More likely I'll download the software.

Install it when I get a chance.

Then it could be days, weeks, or months before I notice any bug(s).
(In this case the problem was in the positioner menu, had I not been messing around with the sats, I might not have noticed this for a long time.)

Then before posting any message here or notifying Fortec of any problem, I'll want to verify there is in fact a problem with the particular version. Maybe re-install an older version and see if problem goes away etc.

Then I might take a few days to get a round to posting my message here and/or emailing Fortec.

- finally -

The full file name on my V0151 is...
20070604_MERCURY2_V0151.bin
^Date^
And all the files I downloaded were marked:
20070615_MERCURY2_V0151.zip

I think that fully resolves all the questions.
Everybody was correct: Bill, SatAV, and even me. :cool:

Oh, and Bill.... I was not criticizing your efforts in the least.
It was my appreciation for your previous posts (on other subjects), that I put so much stock in what you were saying.
I also know SatAV to be a very reliable source as well.
So getting to the bottom of the confusion was quite important.
Keep up the good work. :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts