Merge coming soon?

Rexorg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
North Central Indiana
Investors Warm to DISH Merger Reports
But experts warn that satellite TV is losing its appeal, as more consumers search out a single cable, phone, and Internet provider

The latest news from investors: There may soon be a wedding in the satellite TV industry. Shares of satellite television provider EchoStar Communications (DISH), the name behind DISH Network, have soared amid speculation about the possibility of a merger with archrival DirecTV (DTV). But even with the stock reaching a 52-week high of $34.43 on July 27, the company still faces fierce competition, and some analysts remain pessimistic

I dont think it will happen! Really cable compies are hurting due to their prices have gone up and they offer very little. Right now with more and more networks going HD Sat companies can benfit from this. I would never get TV service from a phone company due to their limitations which they will always have. If Charles is smart he will not merge due to I see Dish being the top Sat company and more folks going to Dish nation wide.. :)

Hopefully the Justice Department would view a merger between D* & E* as anti-competitive. Yes, in urban areas you have a choice of satellite, cable, & maybe even phone company TV services. But out here in the boonies its only a choice between D* & E*. You gonna tell me I'll only get a choice between Direct Dish TV mega-conglomeration or a blank TV screen? :mad:

You know, CochiseGuy has a point.

Besides, I'm quite happy with E* and want nothing D* has (especially the higher rates and poorer PQ - and how 'bout them NFL Sunday Ticket prices not to mention commercials on XM's music channels?).

I don't need jack from D*.

Just my two cents.

--Doug

If I'm not mistaken, they tried to merge a few years back and the Justice Dept said no. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. This was just about the time we started to get locals.

E tried to buy D and the government said no. Many analysts say this time around with D wanting E the government would be more accepting of this merger.

I wonder if the fact that Charlie is a Democrat and Rupert is a Republican if this has anything to do with the Republican Run Government approving the merger this time- with Directv buying Dish?

MikeD-C05 said:
I wonder if the fact that Charlie is a Democrat and Rupert is a Republican if this has anything to do with the Republican Run Government approving the merger this time- with Directv buying Dish?

It is my understanding that Rupert's personal politics are quite liberal and back in 2000, he contributed a handsome sum of money to Al Gore's campaign. Rupert is also a first-rate capitalist and with the enormous success of Fox News, he sees no need to intervene - something about letting the golden goose stay alive.

I for one hope for no merger.

---Doug

Charles Ergen was one of the larger fundraisers for John McCain.

Rupert Murdoch is one of the largest fundraisers for Hilary Clinton.

Greg Bimson said:
Charles Ergen was one of the larger fundraisers for John McCain.

Rupert Murdoch is one of the largest fundraisers for Hilary Clinton.

Man - you don't let any grass grow under that keyboard do you?:D

I also read that Rupert is a conservative republican but he likes to contribute to both sides to make sure he has his hand in with either side that wins. There were some news stories to this effect a few weeks back when he contributed to Hillary's campaign. I am sure Charlie is the same in that regards. But I have read that Charlie leans democratic. He is also a rebel and bucks the powers that be in regards to the FCC and the two dish locals he set up instead of one dish, etc. - how much more left can you get ? Rupert owns Fox and Fox news channels- how much more right can you lean ? And guess who is running the FCC and the Government bodies needed to get a merger /buyout deal done? REPUBLICANS.

Either way I would rather see Dish go with ATT then Directv . They are already in a partnership and then we could have video on demand over the internet with homezone features. I believe that they are a bigger company as well and have deeper pockets than Rupert.

MikeD-C05 said:
I also read that Rupert is a conservative republican but he likes to contribute to both sides to make sure he has his hand in with either side that wins. There were some news stories to this effect a few weeks back when he contributed to Hillary's campaign. I am sure Charlie is the same in that regards. But I have read that Charlie leans democratic. He is also a rebel and bucks the powers that be in regards to the FCC and the two dish locals he set up instead of one dish, etc. - how much more left can you get ? Rupert owns Fox and Fox news channels- how much more right can you lean ? And guess who is running the FCC and the Government bodies needed to get a merger /buyout deal done? REPUBLICANS.

Either way I would rather see Dish go with ATT then Directv . They are already in a partnership and then we could have video on demand over the internet with homezone features. I believe that they are a bigger company as well and have deeper pockets than Rupert.

Right you are about AT&T. They invested $1 billion US in E* not to long ago. I would think they would have a big say as to a merger. That said, I no not like AT&T/Dish Network. If I had it to do over I would have gone with E* from the get go.

Found this a few hours ago:

Despite rumors of a potential acquisition of Dish Networks parent EchoStar Communications by rival DirecTV, Standard & Poor's Equity Research analyst Tuna Amobi said he remains bearish on shares of EchoStar, which have traded up sharply in July on the speculation.

Amobi said in a report Monday he sees no current merger talks besides recent "passing remarks" on a potential merger made by Rupert Murdoch, chairman of News Corp. (nyse: NWS - news - people ), which controls DirecTV (nyse: DTV - news - people ).

The analyst added that "despite landscape changes in four years since a prior merger try was blocked, it is not clear that renewed proposal would pass regulatory muster."

S&P Equity Research reiterated a "strong sell" opinion on Englewood, Colo.-based EchoStar (nasdaq: DISH - news - people ) shares.

EchoStar will report second-quarter earnings on Aug. 10.

Merger is bad unless Charles is still in control and the Dish technology prevails.

Stand your ground Charles, you are on of the few good guys left out there!!!

Rupert and Charlie together? Whew, imagine that! You think pay is downright low now for installers, you do not want to see what it would be like after a merger. And retailers? We will be asking what a retailer is. I wouldn't doubt that it will all soon be done in house.

As far as what becomes available, they would be able to merge their satellite assets to offer more programming than anybody at first but FIOS has a LOT of capacity too. Without high speed internet with good ping (without requiring to be bounced off a satellite in space) they still may not survive unless they become the low price leader with a good price difference. Otherwise the bundling deals that cable/phone/FIOS will offer will blow them out of the water. They will not last outside the country areas where those services are not available by other means.

I was just wondering why would E want to merge they got the best thing going right now and I dont see things changing. Sure D has Sunday ticket but really who the hell can afford it

springdale_sam said:
I was just wondering why would E want to merge they got the best thing going right now and I dont see things changing. Sure D has Sunday ticket but really who the hell can afford it

I live in AZ and think a merger would be good. As an E* sub I could consildate my second D* receiver for NFL Ticket HD, two additional HD locals, ones which play the Diamondbacks, also FOX Sprots AZ would be in HD, D* would bring a lot of sports to the otherwise movie centric E*.

D* of course would need to maintain control of technology.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)