Mesh Dish Question?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Semokid

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Down in the Bootheel
Just got back home from looking at a mesh dish,measured it across fomm side to side and it was 7.5 feet(not sure if this is how to measure)could it actualy be an 8 footer if you measured it from the side to center?
It is a prime focus dish that says Sami on the side of the lnb housing,not sure of the lnb
snow on the ground and the people were not happy at showing it in the weather.It appeared to have a multi ring scaler around the lnb. This is not a freebie as i had hoped ,but the lady said that she would talk to the hubby about the price,and yeah they have the old receiver also still hooked up but was'nt able to see if the dish would move or not,find out in a day or so on the price!
Oh the question is does anyone have knowledge of this dish?

Last edited:
Yeah thats the one,and only a 130 miles from me to manufacturing plant in Arkansas,parts should be a breeze if needed. Thanks for the link!

I've got a 7.5ft SAMI in my yard right now that was FREE to move it as the guy I got it from wanted it out of his front yard! I did go back and cut the steel post off below ground level for him too though.

I've got an AZBox Elite HD connected to my SAMI. I changed out the Chaparral C only feed horn and installed a DMX 741 S LMBF in it's place and never looked back. It has a SuperJack mover that seems to work well also and it's connected to a Vbox X controller. That DMX LNBF will fit nicely inside that Chaparral scaler ring too if you file the numbers off the outside of one side of it. Test fit it first to see which set needs to be filed off. Also remember that if you go with an LNBF you won't need that expensive Cband ribbon cable @ $1.20 a foot.

Performance of the 7.5 SAMI is not what my 10ft Windgard with a Corotor II is but it's respectable and I can get "most" of what I want to see with it. Main thing with mine though is that the price was right! ;-)

It's not likely the old receiver they have, will be of much use (depends on your intentions, of course).
It -can- move the dish, but in the long run, you'll want better.

If it happens to be a 4Dtv receiver, and you -want- to subscribe to what's left of 4D, that's another matter.
See our 4DTV Department for more info.

Paying for an outstanding dish, or one that's in a box or at least taken down, makes sense.
If you have to remove the dish yourself, then -free- is way more attractive deal.
Remember, you are doing them a favor by hauling it away.
Many of us have gotten equal or better dishes for free. Just look around.
Your mileage may vary. ;)

At least post some pictures for the members to comment on.

This was a spur of the moment deal where i went to the local hardware to buy a roll of rg-6 cable, guy ask me what i was planning on doing with a 1000 foot roll of the stuff and i told him that i like to play around with satellites and such and he tells me he knows this lady that has a dish she wants to get rid of,so then i call her and take a look, did'nt really have time for pictures but will try and get some and more info about the system in a couple of days.
The receiver was a monster,dark corner and i did'nt have the specks to look at it very close,but she did tell me that they had to pay for the service and that is why they quit using the system!

Before I ran up on the guy with the SAMI dish near me I had stopped at two places that had what looked like 6ft Winegard dishes. Both those ppl wanted money for them and I told them both that if they'd deliver them to my house then I'd be glad to pay for them but they didn't want to do that but still wanted money?? So I kept on down the road and about a mile or two from there I saw this SAMI sitting in a front yard so I stopped and knocked on the door. Guy came to the door and I asked him if he'd like to have the dish moved and he said yes so I told him I'd move it for it and it was a done deal at that point. Didn't ask about the old receiver though as they aren't much good for anything but testing or as a dish mover.

Like Anole says, free is good so if they ask money for it ask them if they are going to deliver it! ;-)

I lubed up the guy with the (rare) Birdview with cash 'n gifts.

But, the other dish in my signature was free.
And it's on an H-H mount, too! ;)
Frankly, if I'd seen it first, I'd probably have stopped looking.

Both owners were very helpful in removing their ancient monsters.
The Birdview guy worked like a slave, breaking up the concrete!
So, considering it as paid labor, you might say that dish was free...:cool:

Both guys pulled out their old wiring runs, and gave me their receivers.
I think I made two friends.
Both seemed happy and relieved to see their dishes go.

edit:
Wish I'd seen Lone Gunmans idea earlier: "would you like your dish removed?" ;)

Last edited:
I had another dish offered to me for free about three weeks ago,this thing was huge had to be a 12 footer,single lnb arm with a very big flat type lnb that was rectangular and vertical to the arm,in a fenced back yard with a dog so could not get a closer look. I thought that it was a bit to much in size but have the room for it in the yard! Sorry no pics of this one etheir!

Couple of years ago, a member from Canada, took some pix of a dish he was interested in.
He had a decent camera, and posted the raw shots.
Even though he was not too close, we could zoom in on every detail of the dishes on the roof he captured.
We were able to recommend which other dishes he should get, tell the type/brand he wanted, and even count screws on some hardware.
So, if you have something better than a cell phone, take the shot.
There are good people here who can tell you chapter 'n verse on many good dishes, as well as which to avoid.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts