GEOSATpro MicroHD issue with recorded titles

nezdepain

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Québec
Hi
This is a small but annyoing issue. If I go to the DVR list of content and scroll down the list of recorded titles and reach the last one, scrolling down again brings a full page of the same title repeated over and over again. If I browse the USB drive content on a PC there isn't any duplicate title.
I don't know if anyone knows of a quick fix.
Thanks

Hi
This is a small but annyoing issue. If I go to the DVR list of content and scroll down the list of recorded titles and reach the last one, scrolling down again brings a full page of the same title repeated over and over again. If I browse the USB drive content on a PC there isn't any duplicate title.
I don't know if anyone knows of a quick fix.
Thanks

Probably a memory leak glitch. Power cycle the MicroHD and see what happens. Double check your clock is still synced afterwards. I leave mine on 24/7, but once in a while some odd thing like this happens, and a power cycle also clears it.

I'm not sure how to perform the power cycle. Disconnecting the microHD from the power supply for several hours did not the trick. I tried to mount a new usb drive to see if that might reset the list. The new USB drive had no recorded titles. Then I put back the old one. The list was still "corrupted". My next step is to look at the USB drive with a PC and hopefully find something to edit or delete to correct the problem. I was not planning to spend too much time on this...

I'm not sure how to perform the power cycle. Disconnecting the microHD from the power supply for several hours did not the trick. I tried to mount a new usb drive to see if that might reset the list. The new USB drive had no recorded titles. Then I put back the old one. The list was still "corrupted". My next step is to look at the USB drive with a PC and hopefully find something to edit or delete to correct the problem. I was not planning to spend too much time on this...

Ok, I had something similar some years back on my drive. Here's how you fix it: connect the drive to your pc, and MOVE (or copy) all the saved dvr files on it off into a new folder on your pc. Hopefully you have the space.

Then, re-format the drive as NTFS, from your pc. Then, connect the newly re-formatted drive back on the MicroHD, and initialize/reformat again through the MicroHD's menu.

Then, plug it back into your pc, and move/copy the dvr files BACK to the root of the drive. Once that's done, put it back onto your MicroHD for use.

It should be back and working fine again, and the MicroHD should see the files, and work with them just fine again. They'll still have their titles and names as always, etc.

It sounds like a lot of work, but the index file on the drive must have got corrupted in some way, and that's what causes this. In my case it fixed it, and I've never had a reoccurrence of it.

Reactions: . Raine and KE4EST
Thank you for your input. This sounds like a good suggestion starting from what little information you could get of my problem. But actually, it would not have worked. The problem is inside the data files, it's not related to the file index on the usb drive.
I plugged the usb drive to my PC to have a better look at how the files are organized inside the ALIDVRS2 folder (this is where the MicroHD stores its recordings). Each recording has its own folder. The folder's name is a concatenation of a timestamp and the channel that was recorded. This is a "physical" name that hasn't changed since the recording time. The "title" I gave to the recording when I "renamed" the recording is the "logical" name. This logical name is stored in a "info3.dvr" file found inside the recording folder. Open this "info3.dvr" file with a tool like notepad++ and you'll find the title written with each character separated by a NULL char.
I suspect that when I renamed one recording, somehow the "info3.dvr" in 19 other folders were corrupted at the same time. I have 19 recordings that I can't playback on the MicroHD, though I can playback them on a PC. I don't think I can repair the corrupted files.

Please try my fix anyway. What have you got to lose, but a little time trying?

If it doesn't work at first, then DELETE the "info3.dvr" files and see what happens. You'll have it all copied on another drive, so you can't lose anything with copies.

Last edited:
When the "info3.dvr" is deleted or empty, the microHD does not add that entry to the list of recordings. When it's in the folder in its corrupted state the recording is listed with the wrong name but it cannot be played back. The microHD probably scans all the folders in order to build it's list of recordings. The "info3.dvr" must serve as a metadata file for each recording containing the name and other useful info.

Reactions: primestar31
Update:
It got worse. I could not record any new titles, it said disk was full although there was plenty of space. So I plugged the external drive to a PC and deleted several titles, maybe 50% of the recorded content. Then I renamed the external drive before I plugged it back to the GeosatPro. I'm not sure if that last step did the trick but then all is back to normal. Maybe the GeoSatPro rebuilt its index or something. I had deleted files with a PC before without renaming the drive and that alone was not enough to fix my problems.

Reactions: KE4EST

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)