Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
My wife and I exchanged anniversary gifts tonight, its our 11th anniversary this week and she got me a 64 GB Microsoft Surface Pro with the keyboard cover.

I have been playing with it for a few hours now and got to admit I am not sure what to make of it.

I think the issue is Windows 8, I am not use to it... in fact I hate it. I may have to modify it so it works like Windows 7. :)

I cant figure out how to do things on it, such as close browser windows... or turn the volume up or down.

Another thing I don't like about it, is while its a 64 GB version there is only 23GB of usable space.

Does anyone else have one of these? If yes what are your thought on it?

I am not sure if I should keep trying to customize it to my likings and learn it, or put it back in the box and have her return it.

Welcome to the world of W8 and the legions that don't like it.

I suggest returning it for something more useful.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

A rock would be more useful...

Happy Anniversary by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott- I've had my MS Surface Pro since April and it is great. It's pretty easy to launch with a win 7 look and feel desktop. I open it like that all the time. I also bought a USB Blu Ray reader / writer and this makes it possible to use like a full laptop. I can play movies now in full HD. The surface Pro also drives a HD projector. Works great with a mouse or touch screen or the touch pad. I added a 64Gb micro SD card for 128Gb + 64Gb total storage. I have my Surface Pro desktop looking just like my main computer workstation at home. All my old software runs great so I don't need all the new licensed stuff. I have old Office 2000 and it runs fine. Also, the USB port has plenty of power to run an ext USB hard drive too. I also have the regular key pad as opposed to the touch keypad. I tried both and didn't like the touch.

The only app that came with the Surface Pro is the new IE. But I loaded up Google Chrome and Firefox. Both work better and With Google Chrome using IE tab, that Qsee security camera launches perfectly. It actually looks better than the ipad app.

I still use the ipad for quick app use but when I need to do content creation or surfe the web with YT and Fash, the Surface Pro is my prefered device. BTW- The Surface Pro can see 3D YT videos in anaglyph which the ipad can't. I keep a pair of red, cyan 3D glasses in my mobile kit. Now when I travel, I take both. If I need to go online with the Surface. I just launch the hotspot with my Verizon ipad and then connect with the surface Pro.

I also carry a small USB hub and a multi SD card reader, HDMI cable, and portable stereo speakers too.

I do think for some who are used to the MAC OS, the air might be better suited, but I had too many windows apps I needed to run so the Surface Pro is just what I needed. Love it!

Edit note- The only app that came with the Surface Pro is the new IE. Meant to say it is the only app I didn't like so I loaded Firefox with xmarks plugins. I loaded Google Chrome only to get the security cameras working. That security camera stuff is very fussy with browser compatibility.

Last edited:
Scott- I've had my MS Surface Pro since April and it is great. It's pretty easy to launch with a win 7 look and feel desktop. I open it like that all the time. I also bought a USB Blu Ray reader / writer and this makes it possible to use like a full laptop. I can play movies now in full HD. The surface Pro also drives a HD projector. Works great with a mouse or touch screen or the touch pad. I added a 64Gb micro SD card for 128Gb total storage. I have my Surface Pro desktop looking just like my main computer workstation at home. All my old software runs great so I don't need all the new licensed stuff. I have old Office 2000 and it runs fine. Also, the USB port has plenty of power to run an ext USB hard drive too. I also have the regular key pad as opposed to the touch keypad. I tried both and didn't like the touch.

The only app that came with the Surface Pro is the new IE. But I loaded up Google Chrome and Firefox. Both work better and With Google Chrome using IE tab, that Qsee security camera launches perfectly. It actually looks better than the ipad app.

I still use the ipad for quick app use but when I need to do content creation or surfe the web with YT and Fash, the Surface Pro is my prefered device. BTW- The Surface Pro can see 3D YT videos in anaglyph which the ipad can't. I keep a pair of red, cyan 3D glasses in my mobile kit. Now when I travel, I take both. If I need to go online with the Surface. I just launch the hotspot with my Verizon ipad and then connect with the surface Pro.

I also carry a small USB hub and a multi SD card reader, HDMI cable, and portable stereo speakers too.

I do think for some who are used to the MAC OS, the air might be better suited, but I had too many windows apps I needed to run so the Surface Pro is just what I needed. Love it!

Don,

What's typical battery life like in your experience?

Windows 8.1 is coming soon which will allow you to use Windows 8 just like Windows 7. In the meantime, you can try this free application that will allow you to run it like Windows 7. My boss got one and I played with it for a while, I think it's great. You just need to get used to the features in Windows 8.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Kind of like the ipad. It will play a 120 minute BluRay movie no problem powering the USB optical drive, all on battery. I used it once for 5 hours and the battery was down to about 40% as I recall. Like the ipad, battery life is also heavily dependent on screen brightness settings. However, the charger for the Surface Pro is just over twice the size of the ipad and also requires a bulky power cord. Ipad is better design than the Surface Pro power pack. But the Surface Pro has a spare USB power port if needed for other charging of accessories.

Randall- Does 8.1 add the Start button in the task bar? I also think there are apps for that but I haven't sent any up yet. I just have the control panel icon on the desktop.

Yeah the start button is coming back with 8.1.

I have added it back on mine making the unit usable again. (I hate Windows 8)

But still not sure what I will do with it or use it for.

Hey Scott- Having observed you work, you seem like you would be more comfortable with a MacBook Air than a MS Surface Pro. My sole purpose to have the MS Surface Pro is not to replace my ipad, but to be able to do a number of things that iOS and OS X just cannot do. A few things that OS X can do but the MacBook Air would do awkwardly, such as the need to run Parallels and Win 7 on top of OS X. Just not cost effective at all. I don't see you needing these functions so you have the advantage of living 100% in an Apple ecosystem easily.

For me, 80% of the time on trips I grab for the ipad. But that 20% of the time I would use the ipad for Hotspot on Verizon connectivity and the Surface Pro for just those tasks that calls for a PC windows environment. Fortunately, The two stack nicely in my mobile office bag.

Here are some specific examples that compelled me to add the Surface Pro:
1. Large spreadsheet work in exel.
2. Adobe Photoshop
3. Sony Vegas Pro and 3D editing / screening of 3D video dailies.
4. Flash video display
5. Outlook
6. Quicken checkbook
7. TD Ameritrade Trade Architect
8. Easy access to all my bookmarks and Firefox.
9. Hardware advantages:
a. Blu Ray optical drive
b. unlimited file storage through SD cards and ext USB hard drives.
c. Mouse user input

I have and like (now). But, it took a couple months to learn where things are.

They put a lot of work into the interface and it is super. But, the training aids were poor.

When you get used to it, you find it is like those reverse polish calculators (fewer strokes to do something).

Swipe right and the icons for your active window open.

I got my microsoft invite to test the 8.1 beta (scheduled for thursday).

I have and like (now). But, it took a couple months to learn where things are.

They put a lot of work into the interface and it is super. But, the training aids were poor.

When you get used to it, you find it is like those reverse polish calculators (fewer strokes to do something).

Swipe right and the icons for your active window open.

I got my microsoft invite to test the 8.1 beta (scheduled for thursday).

I can download the 8.1 preview now but I noticed that it is a full installation not just an update. Don't feel like reinstalling the OS on my machine at this point.

I just got the 8.1 invite too, but would be afraid wiping out the surface to load it on.

I am still unsure if I am going to keep the surface or not. I am still not getting use to it.

I installed it on my W700 (the Acer version of the Surface Pro) from the Windows Store with no wiping out of anything.

I don't mind Windows 8 at all, when the release previews came out I just went out of my way to try something new (relied on the metro start menu, stayed w/ IE and didn't install Chrome, etc) and is probably why I like it as much as I do now. On a table the UI makes a lot more sense, but on a desktop once you're used to it it doesn't get in the way much if at all.

I installed it on my W700 (the Acer version of the Surface Pro) from the Windows Store with no wiping out of anything.

The version of 8.1 that I could download is the TechNet preview. It was just a full ISO. I am sure there is a way to do an upgrade but didn't want to go through that process. If they are sending out the update via the Windows Store then that is an interesting way of pushing it out.

Yeah the start button is coming back with 8.1.

I have added it back on mine making the unit usable again. (I hate Windows 8)

But still not sure what I will do with it or use it for.

There isa start button but it does not do everything that the start button from the days of yore did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts