Mini-Bud project in progress

Status
Please reply by conversation.
great job man,that's what i like about doing something that other folks give up on.Again great job,makes me want to pull the old 39 incher out and slap an lnb on it and get to work.

I think it's a lot fun and so little to lose :) Probably going to keep it up a few more days before putting my normal Ku lnb back on.
great job man,that's what i like about doing something that other folks give up on.Again great job,makes me want to pull the old 39 incher out and slap an lnb on it and get to work.

Yes let's see pictures, we all love pictures. :)

I have a couple of pictures at the top (instead of the bottom) of message #8. I'll try to take some more detailed photos tomorrow :)

9/21 evening results:

113W Satmex

Mayavision (3834 V 1808) 30Q

Telairity Encoded (Undisclosed ITC feed) 30Q

r-$WFM-2 (3788 H 2083) 25Q
r-$WFM-1
r-$keBuena-2
r-$keBuena-1
r-$40 Principales-2
r-$40 Principales-1
r-$WRADIO-2
r-$Estadio W
r-$KeBuena
r-$40 Principales
r-$RADIOPOLIS
r-$WRADIO

New count total:
TV:144
Radio:76
Wildfeeds: 2

I wonder how much the MicroHD is helping you because some of your finds are impressive for that small of a dish. Most other minibuds that small are only able to get channels off 99w and 91w.

The sensitivity of the microHD is surely helping with this project. I do have an Openbox s10 that seems to do ok with it, too (I'm not sure how the two will do in a side-by-side comparison). I haven't tried my Traxis 3500 that just does DVB-S...but maybe that'll be a test that I can try out soon with each of the 3 receivers. I suspect the microHD will be the winner there, too. I'm going out to take some photos :)

I wonder how much the MicroHD is helping you because some of your finds are impressive for that small of a dish. Most other minibuds that small are only able to get channels off 99w and 91w.

Last edited:
Here's my dish setup. I removed the lnb cover on the 4th picture so we could see the pins and how they line up. The skew is there because the dish is looking at Satmex 6. One of the interesting things that I found when setting up the lnb according to several of the videos and other instructions online was that the lnb was hanging out on the left side of the tube. This worked for me, but the STB was scanning the wrong polarities (Hs as Vs, Vs as Hs, etc.). From Lyngsat, I knew that was wrong, so I shifted the whole lnb 180 degrees and then got the correct scans.
S6000506.JPGS6000507.JPGS6000508.JPGS6000509.JPGS6000510.JPGS6000511.JPG

Last edited:
Because we love pictures... Here are some crude photos I took with my digital camera this morning of five channels off of Satmex 6. I'll probably put the Ku back on for the Britcoms tonight :)

S6000501.JPGS6000502.JPGS6000503.JPGS6000504.JPGS6000505.JPG

Last edited:
You've certainly rejuvenated an old subject. :)
But as mentioned above, I think the microHD has a lot to do with your success.

When you're done, would you consider a more concise list, just showing channels you can get 24/7?
The others are encouraging, but not worth getting out of bed for. ;)

Also, I found it hard to follow which signals had a lot of operating margin, and which we're on the ragged edge.
The threshold of the receiver wasn't listed, and besides it varies for each type of signal.

Edit: I scanned back over the thread, and missed the LNBF brand/model.

iphone 4

Last edited:
Hmmm...I must have forgotten to mention it! I'm using a DMSi BSC421 LNBF. I'll try to create a 24/7 list that has no or minimal pixelation. Right now, I'm enjoying watching "Olivia" with my toddler nephew on PueblaTv. So there's quite a few things on Satmex 6 (113W) to enjoy. One thing that I found you might need to do with this project is move the dish in slightly one direction to optimize signal strength on particular stations, even if the channels are on the same satellite. So many variables when it comes to signal reception on this project, but I'm glad I'm causing a revival of interest ;)

[not the 24/7 list yet....these were of medium pixelation]

9/22 afternoon scan:

113W Satmex 6

RED NACIONAL MEGA((Red Nacional -Guadalajara 6) 3764 V 3256) 25Q

Teleformula_Network (Teleformula- Mexico City 3736 V 3254) 25Q

New count total:
TV: 146
Radio: 76
Wildfeeds: 2

Where did you buy the scalar ring and the LNBF holder..I am interested on buying that type of scalar ring setup for my dual band LNBF...It seems that I have the same type of dish as yours.

Thank You.

Last edited:
wow! nice! i too have the micro hd and I have a 1.2 meter dish and have been thinking of buying a c band lnb and swapping it out and occasionally going back and forth between c and ku, i am not gonna do the combo crap because the bsc combo never worked good for me as i would either get good on one or another. I was wondering if you could possibly get any of the nfl feeds and games on c band with your setup?

I did pick up a soccer game feed once out of Mexico on the C-band mini-Bud, but I'm sure the FEC was something like 1/2 or 3/4. I have picked up 5/6 FEC on a TP on 55.5W, and that was a surprise to me. As Iceberg said, I think 9/10 would be impossible ;)

I wouldn't count on much reliable service out of a mini-BUD -- I'm afraid you'd need something larger. I found most regular broadcast channels were very finicky, but still it's fun to see something new :)

By the way, if it doesn't rain I'll try to put my C-band lnbf back on again and give some more results. I heard we're in for a soaker here for the next four days, though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts