Mini outages

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
A few times over the last two days I often find the site is down. Just happened a couple of minutes ago. Happened somewhere around the middle of the afternoon today. Happened last night. I go to post and it sits there. I can go to another site with no problem, if I go to another browser satelliteguys won't load while again other sites will, so I have to assume the site is down? Or the path to it?

A few times over the last two days I often find the site is down. Just happened a couple of minutes ago. Happened somewhere around the middle of the afternoon today. Happened last night. I go to post and it sits there. I can go to another site with no problem, if I go to another browser satelliteguys won't load while again other sites will, so I have to assume the site is down? Or the path to it?
I've had that too quite a few weekday nights. Seems to happen approx 11:30pm to 11:40pm.
I try to click on a link on the page or do a browser page reload and it just sits there pretending to reload satelliteguys.
I get home from work about then and figured it was for some reason the switching from my work isp provider to AT&T which is my home and cellular providers.
It's usually back up and running by 11:50pm.

I have no problem with going to other sites and retrieving email to my phone.

I wake up early to ride the Lifecycle, the site always has blips between 4-6am, I know it is not me since everything else loads fine.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have also had a couple times at night when the site would not load. Initially I assumed it was my Spectrum internet but a Speedtest showed my internet was good. The down times only lasted a few minutes.

I've had that too quite a few weekday nights. Seems to happen approx 11:30pm to 11:40pm.
I think that is caused by the fact I changed the backup to run earlier as it sometimes wasn't finishing by the time of our 4:30 am reboot.

As far as today goes all server logs show normal, but that's not to say one of our two different CDN providers were possibly having issues in an area. I am guessing that is what may have been happening since the logs look good. Its something I will keep an eye on.

I have that happen occasionally, too

Went down about 10 minutes ago

Page could not be loaded​

The requested page could not be loaded.
  • Check your internet connection and try again.
  • Certain browser extensions, such as ad blockers, may block pages unexpectedly. Disable these and try again.
  • SatelliteGuys may be temporarily unavailable. Please check back later.
RELOAD

Another one just before midnight Saturday:
IMG_1197.jpeg
I was trying to “Like” a post and I got the three “thinking” bars at the top right of the site. Eventually it timed out.

Something changed in the way our system backs up.

There was an update to the backup program which backs up the forum and they changed the way the database dumps the database to a file for backup.

This new method takes a little more resources yet also does the dump faster than the old way. Of course when it eats the resources it takes them away from the rest of the site and also temporarily locks the database for a few moments

Because of this the site. Appears down for a few moments.

I have been playing with the backup times trying to adjust it as after the database is dumped the system then zips it with gzip and that takes awhile but I set it to use less resources so the site runs but can be a little slower at times. This zip process can take a few hours because of this but I need to get it done before the 4:30 am reboot. The reboot is done to rebuild the caches for
Optimum speed of the site. I have noticed if I don’t reset the caches every few days the site get sluggish. It’s easier just to have the system reset which is good as new kernels for the system are applied on reset. And a reset takes less than 30 seconds, so I kill a few birds with one stone.

After 4:30 the backed up database is copied off site to its own holding site. In addition the entire site is backed up for changes and new files every 10 minutes through an rsync job. This also downloads the database backups so the database is stored in three separate places.

I can try adjusting the backup time more but I need to be sure it’s all done by that 4:30 window.

I will adjust it now again and keep an eye on it to make sure it finishes. But if you see it go down late night please let me know the time in eastern time and then I can go through the logs and see better what was going on in that time.

I do not know of another backup program for our forum software so this is what we have.

I would say the site is very stable 23 12/16’s of the day. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something changed in the way our system backs up.

There was an update to the backup program which backs up the forum and they changed the way the database dumps the database to a file for backup.

This new method takes a little more resources yet also does the dump faster than the old way. Of course when it eats the resources it takes them away from the rest of the site and also temporarily locks the database for a few moments

Because of this the site. Appears down for a few moments.

I have been playing with the backup times trying to adjust it as after the database is dumped the system then zips it with gzip and that takes awhile but I set it to use less resources so the site runs but can be a little slower at times. This zip process can take a few hours because of this but I need to get it done before the 4:30 am reboot. The reboot is done to rebuild the caches for
Optimum speed of the site. I have noticed if I don’t reset the caches every few days the site get sluggish. It’s easier just to have the system reset which is good as new kernels for the system are applied on reset. And a reset takes less than 30 seconds, so I kill a few birds with one stone.

After 4:30 the backed up database is copied off site to its own holding site. In addition the entire site is backed up for changes and new files every 10 minutes through an rsync job. This also downloads the database backups so the database is stored in three separate places.

I can try adjusting the backup time more but I need to be sure it’s all done by that 4:30 window.

I will adjust it now again and keep an eye on it to make sure it finishes. But if you see it go down late night please let me know the time in eastern time and then I can go through the logs and see better what was going on in that time.

I do not know of another backup program for our forum software so this is what we have.

I would say the site is very stable 23 12/16’s of the day. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get those mini outages several times during the day when I click on the SatGuys icon in my Android homescreen. Been happening for a long time now. Hope your new backup procedures helps that.

Reactions: Tampa8
Getting them still, last night (Saturday night) was longer than usual. Two other times yesterday also. Each time I make sure it isn't me, and I can get right into any other site. Many times when I go to submit a post it sits there for sometime. Other times it goes right through.

Tapatalk is its own problem of its own.

We have a system update for the forum, so that people should not need to use Tapatalk anymore. I am still waiting for a few of our plugins to be updated to support the new forum software version before I can update. Most of them have been updated still waiting on a few more.