Missing OTA Channels?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Nothing really, the 240R is just a newer version of the 140

OK, I ordered the one in the link you posted up the page. I figured I'd be better off with a wall wart than having the power supply built inside that box!!

And thanks all for the info and your time to post it here. This digital OTA stuff isn't something I know much about so I definitely needed your help!!

OK, I ordered the one in the link you posted up the page. I figured I'd be better off with a wall wart than having the power supply built inside that box!!

And thanks all for the info and your time to post it here. This digital OTA stuff isn't something I know much about so I definitely needed your help!!

It’s my pleasure. Many people on this forum have helped me over the years. I am grateful for the opportunity to give back.

Used to be that they'd get enough channels to get by but now they get none to 3 or 4 whereas the TV next to where the cable comes into the house will currently get 19 when connected directly to that TV and got 29 before this problem came up.
Given that two TVs are down (and making a huge assumption that all tuners are similar), I'm thinking the splitter is a 3.5x7x7 rather than "balanced". You might try swapping outputs and see if the good reception follows a particular output. If it does, this tells us something about the HDHomerun's tuners and their signal strength measurements.

That a single TV gets no where near what it got before the "problem" suggests that you're going to have to go outside your comfort zone (or pay someone else to) and fix your antenna, balun and/or downlead. Sears and perhaps some local establishments offer these services. Satellite installers are often licensed for this kind of stuff.

Amplifiers are Garbage In, Garbage Out and if there's no signal in, there's only noise out.

UPDATE: Well, I got that RCA amp today, installed it and did some "rewiring" on connected devices and it looks like I'm good to go without having to do any work on the roof for now!! Right now all 3 TVs are scanning in 25 channels so the only channels that are missing are ones on 29 NBC out of Charlottesville, which I can do without because channel 10 out or Roanoke is also NBC and I get that one OK. All 6 channels of ION TV came back so I'm good to go there also.

Only down side is that I bought 3 Rocketfish splitters and two matching transformers that it looks like I don't need, but maybe next time!:oldwink

So I guess I'm done for now, and thanks again for the help guys. You taught me something I didn't know, and that's a good thing when you're 72 years old!!

UPDATE: Well, I got that RCA amp today, installed it and did some "rewiring" on connected devices and it looks like I'm good to go without having to do any work on the roof for now!! Right now all 3 TVs are scanning in 25 channels so the only channels that are missing are ones on 29 NBC out of Charlottesville, which I can do without because channel 10 out or Roanoke is also NBC and I get that one OK. All 6 channels of ION TV came back so I'm good to go there also.

Only down side is that I bought 3 Rocketfish splitters and two matching transformers that it looks like I don't need, but maybe next time!:oldwink

So I guess I'm done for now, and thanks again for the help guys. You taught me something I didn't know, and that's a good thing when you're 72 years old!!

Glad it worked out! Can you return the Rocketfish splitters and the matching transformer for refunds?

Reactions: FTA4PA
Glad it worked out! Can you return the Rocketfish splitters and the matching transformer for refunds?

Well, I suppose I could but having purchased most of it from fleabay I'd have to pay $$ to mail the stuff back. I've got right at $35 in the stuff and I suppose I will be able to use the 2x splitters somewhere along the way.

The main thing is that my OTA TV is working again in the other 2 rooms so I'm OK with it.

Well, it's happened again!!! A bunch of channel switching/by outs over the past few days has taken away 7 of my OTA channels, one of which, Decades, is one we watch quite frequently, or did watch I guess would be the proper way to say it! I was getting 25 channels after I installed that amplifier but now I'm only getting 18? CRAP! :wtf2:deadhorse2

7? Which 7? WDBJ and WLHG-CD swapped things around, but no programming actually went away in that shuffle. I'm not aware of any other changes.

- Trip

Well, it's happened again!!! A bunch of channel switching/by outs over the past few days has taken away 7 of my OTA channels, one of which, Decades, is one we watch quite frequently, or did watch I guess would be the proper way to say it! I was getting 25 channels after I installed that amplifier but now I'm only getting 18? CRAP! :wtf2:deadhorse2

Decades is getting dropped in many markets, and replaced with "Start Tv". Which is women-only shows... Plus, don't forget the spectrum sale, perhaps you need to do re-scans... Weigel Broadcasting launching Start TV Network

Aim your c-band dish, and you'll never want for pretty much all the sub-channels you can handle. There's many that aren't aired locally for me, yet they are up on 97-99-101w... Best thing I ever did was decide to put up my "new" SAMI 7.5ft dish in the last two weeks. Glad I finally decided to check for SURE whether our new house could get sats or not. Well, one spot in the yard gets all the ones I need, except for 125w, which is too low behind some tall maple trees.

7? Which 7? WDBJ and WLHG-CD swapped things around, but no programming actually went away in that shuffle. I'm not aware of any other changes.

- Trip

Just called WDBJ this AM complaining and was told that the channels I'm missing are only being broadcast at HALF POWER, is the reason I can't get them! Was also told that there was no plan to increase power to make them viewable outside the Lynchburg, Va viewing area?

WLGH (was channel 43.x) is gone as are the ION channels that I was getting. And the Decades channel has gone due to the low power crap (ch 24.3). I am getting 24.1 but not even a smell of .2 or .3? And now both of the channel 7.x channels aren't viewable either.

This OTA setup is more for my Darling Wife than me since like most women she doesn't get into the satellite stuff that's available. In fact, about all she knows how to do with those is turn the power strip on.

Ennywho, maybe some other ppl will complain and they might try to fix it. I guess only time will tell on that though. That, and this change crap has been somewhat of a trend of late so who knows what will be available next month!

Decades is getting dropped in many markets, and replaced with "Start Tv". Which is women-only shows... Plus, don't forget the spectrum sale, perhaps you need to do re-scans... Weigel Broadcasting launching Start TV Network

Aim your c-band dish, and you'll never want for pretty much all the sub-channels you can handle. There's many that aren't aired locally for me, yet they are up on 97-99-101w... Best thing I ever did was decide to put up my "new" SAMI 7.5ft dish in the last two weeks. Glad I finally decided to check for SURE whether our new house could get sats or not. Well, one spot in the yard gets all the ones I need, except for 125w, which is too low behind some tall maple trees.

One word for you.....WIFE! She doesn't do satellite systems! That OTA TV setup is basically hers. ;)

Just called WDBJ this AM complaining and was told that the channels I'm missing are only being broadcast at HALF POWER, is the reason I can't get them! Was also told that there was no plan to increase power to make them viewable outside the Lynchburg, Va viewing area?

WLGH (was channel 43.x) is gone as are the ION channels that I was getting. And the Decades channel has gone due to the low power crap (ch 24.3). I am getting 24.1 but not even a smell of .2 or .3? And now both of the channel 7.x channels aren't viewable either.

ION has nothing to do with this situation. If you're not receiving it, that implies something on your end again.

In your original post, you indicated that you received WDBJ (7-1) and WLHG-CD (43-1). If that is the case, and your reception problem is fixed, then you should receive all of 7-1, 7-2, 24-1, 24-2, and 24-3. They've consolidated and reshuffled things, but as far as I know, nothing else has changed.

Before June, the lineup was like this:

Channel 18: 7-1 CBS, 7-2 My, 7-3 Decades
Channel 24: 24-1 COZI, 24-2 H&I, 24-3 HopeNow
Channel 43: 43-1 HopeNow

Between June and last Saturday, the lineup was like this:

Channel 18: 7-1 CBS, 7-2 Decades, 24-1 COZI, 43-1 My
Channel 43: 43-3 My, 43-4 H&I (No PSIP)

Today, the lineup is:

Channel 18: 7-1 CBS, 7-2 H&I, 24-1 My
Channel 43: 24-1 My, 24-2 COZI, 24-3 Decades
(That's not a mistake, 24-1 is on both. I told their engineer I thought it was a bad idea.)

If there's an outage of some kind that they're at reduced power, then that should come back when repairs are complete. But otherwise, the signal levels have not changed.

- Trip

I am getting 24.1 but not even a smell of .2 or .3?
Callsigns are very useful when discussing local TV stations.

If you can't get subchannels you probably need to do another channel scan. They aren't usually split across frequencies so if you're getting .1, you should be able to get .2 and .3. My local NBC affiliate (KGW) has their weather feed and a Spanish channel on a different RF frequency but all the rest of the stations are using one RF channel.

Going forward, if you have a funky antenna setup, that may cause you problems as some stations may be moving to different towers, moving to much lower frequencies, or as you've discovered, dropping their power and your choice of antenna(s) may no longer suit your needs.

I'm sure Trip will be keenly interested in learning about stations that have committed to significantly reducing their coverage area.

I'm sure Trip will be keenly interested in learning about stations that have committed to significantly reducing their coverage area.

In the repack, all of the stations he's complaining about are either increasing power (WDBJ, WPXR) or remaining the same (WLHG-CD). Try again.

- Trip

One problem I've found is that the program schedule Titan TV shows for 24.1 doesn't match the programming I've seen. That and I'm still not able to get either 24.2 or 24.3 when I scan for channels. And it's the same on all 3 TVs that are connected to that OTA antenna. I've even tried scanning each one with the other TVs disconnected and that doesn't help.

And back to the power thingie, the person at the WDBJ complaint dept did tell me that they were only running at half power and when I asked when they were going to increase it I was told they wern't! So that's all I've got to go by.

Ennywho, we will monitor it for a couple of weeks to see if anything changes before I b*tch any more. ;)

Thanks

I'd offer to bring my test gear by one of the next times I'm in the neighborhood, but I almost certainly will not have time on the very next visit and don't know when the one after will be, exactly.

- Trip

In the repack, all of the stations he's complaining about are either increasing power (WDBJ, WPXR) or remaining the same (WLHG-CD).
You are apparently under the impression that I'm the one at WDBJ that told Lone Gunman that they had gone to half power and were staying there. Rest assured that is not the case.

UPDATE: Just did a channel scan and got 21 channels, :clappingof which 3 are new to me since this last change, ie, 43.3, 43.4, and 43.5 and the channel names are WZBJ, Cozi and Decades. And I'm still getting 24.1 so WZBJ is a duplicate. And this was done on a partially overcast day.

So it looks like the only channels still missing are ION on 38.

Ennywho, WIFE is happy = happy WIFE, happy life!! ;)

Reactions: Trip and FTA4PA
UPDATE: Just did a channel scan and got 21 channels, :clappingof which 3 are new to me since this last change, ie, 43.3, 43.4, and 43.5 and the channel names are WZBJ, Cozi and Decades. And I'm still getting 24.1 so WZBJ is a duplicate.

Last night, I was finally able to receive WZBJ-CD on 43, and I found at least two things wrong with it. I've sent an e-mail to the engineer over at WDBJ to try and get it fixed.

- Trip

Reactions: primestar31
I wish we can get more sub channels here in the Fort Wayne area its still bad I hope to get something better than ion on 15.2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts