Mitsubishi WD-60638 60-Inch 1080p 3D-Ready DLP HDTV

Hey guys saw this TV today for 794.00 at a local store....it would be replacing a 42 plasma, I know it says 3D ready which means I have to buy the kit? but any thoughts on this TV, as far as HD picture. I have Directv! dang good price. I see it has the three HDMI jacks which Is what I need. Does not have the app features but thats that big for me right now as I have other ways to get that stuff

if you can somehow swing a little more. i bought my 738 series 60 inch mit for 899. no 3d kit needed if you have dlp link glasses. or if you want kit style mit/ sammy glasses, you just need the emitter. around 50 to 100 dollar, not the adapter. also 738 has cool internet features.

the 638. 738 838 series offers full 1080p hd

They accept full HD, but they output checkerboard which is half-resolution.

S~

Attachments

• 4e6c6be0_dlpchecker.jpg
    4e6c6be0_dlpchecker.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
Humm..going to think this one over. Yes, our local ABC Warehouse store has the 60638 for $794.00. I will also want to see what they are charging for the next one up. It would be replacing a 42 inch Toshiba Plasma that I have had for almost five years, I know this store will try to sell me the extended warrenty as well. Are you guys happy with the HD picture on the 60 inch, my provider is Direct. If I was to get the TV, I would have to wait a bit to get the kit.

Not many stores in our area carry the DLP projection TV's

Humm..going to think this one over. Yes, our local ABC Warehouse store has the 60638 for $794.00. I will also want to see what they are charging for the next one up. It would be replacing a 42 inch Toshiba Plasma that I have had for almost five years, I know this store will try to sell me the extended warrenty as well. Are you guys happy with the HD picture on the 60 inch, my provider is Direct. If I was to get the TV, I would have to wait a bit to get the kit.

Not many stores in our area carry the DLP projection TV's

I wouldn't get a DLP without an extended warraty. Saved me a few times.

S~

Thanks for the input guys....I was reviewing the reviews on amazon, majority were postive, liked the picture, talked about bulb repalcement and such. I have bought my last two HD TV's from ABC warehouse and one good thing about the extended warrenty is if you dont use it you get 50% back in a credit. I have a 53 inch toshiba projection that is about seven years old that I did not have to ise the warrenty for and this November will be five years on the plasma.

I'm amazed at the PQ of my Brothers set...
I bought the 60" version last fall for $800 to replace my Sony Grand Wega KDF42 which was showing the purple splotches. I also bought the 3D kit for $100 which I haven't been able to use yet. I have been very happy with the overall picture quality, but can't use the 3D with Dish. I am very happy with the picture, and feel that this was a great option. I'm getting older, but I bought the Sony from Circuit City after starting at the closeout analog 4x3 sets and working around well into to the HD sets. I feel that this is a great option and as good or better than the KDF42, and worthy of comparison to other HD sets out there.

I am going to check it out today, kind of a hasle though. As for those who are not familiar with "ABC Warehouse" the sales guys have commishons tied to pay so they can be annoying...though maybe I can get the TV for under 700 :)

My 73838 arrives today, just gotta wait on the stand. Looking at the reviews, these really are good sets and offer a film like experience. They tend to be less sharp, but more natural, and if you remove the auto geometry correction it can give you 1:1 pixel mapping. Also, just looking at before and after charts, the models with advanced menus really benefit from calibration.

So I was talking to a tech guy at work about the DLP TV, and his response was...they still make those?? Should I be concerned about the comment :confused:

I am guessing he was saying the better way to go would be LCD or LED??

Mitsu is the only company making them. If you want a great PQ with huge screen size, for an even better price, DLP is your key. Ive seen the charts and read the entire 2010 thread at AVS. As with other tech's, they have flaws and are not perfect, but you have to see if they fit what you want. I decided I wanted a huge screen, so I bought the 73".

I'd go with the concept of an ext warranty though. These seem to be prone to a board failure and light engine failure. Both common, but one replaced seemed to work fine. Must be a QC thing.

Thanks and with the 60638 that TV does support Directv 3D? I am aware that I will have to buy a kit down the road when I am ready for 3D

The 638 does 3D IIRC, but it has to have the adapter after the new update. The 738 and 838 were able to lose the adapter and convert all 3D formats in checkerboard internally. I bought the whole adapter kit, bit Ill not use it, I just plug the IR emitter into the tv directly with the new update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts