MLB 2009 Season

Jonathan Papelbon pops off on Manny Ramirez - BostonHerald.com

Red Sox Closer Jonathan Papelbon: Manny Was A 'Cancer' - wbztv.com

Paps basically confirming what Bill's been saying for months.

Bill, you were right all along, but now, a Sox player is basically telling it like it is.

OF COURSE they are gonna pop off now, he is no longer there. :rolleyes:
FINE, Manny was a demon seed in Boston. But this is cowardly because ALL of this could have been nipped in the bud the moment "Manny started being Manny" many years ago, but they let this crap go on forever.... But you know WHY this has not come out now, because they didn't win the pennant! IF they would won, this would have been swept under the rug like PREVIOUS instances and put it under the usual "Manny being Manny" crap.

OF COURSE they are gonna pop off now, he is no longer there. :rolleyes:
FINE, Manny was a demon seed in Boston. But this is cowardly because ALL of this could have been nipped in the bud the moment "Manny started being Manny" many years ago, but they let this crap go on forever.... But you know WHY this has not come out now, because they didn't win the pennant! IF they would won, this would have been swept under the rug like PREVIOUS instances and put it under the usual "Manny being Manny" crap.
This coming from you is funny, who always advocates keeping this stuff in the locker room. They did keep it in-house last summer when the straw broke and Manny quit on the team. The well-documented crap he pulled then was far more different than the amusing "Manny being Manny" stuff from over the years.

I can tell you why this hasn't come out until now, the interview happened after last season concluded and Esquire is publishing it in their April issue to coincide with the opening of the MLB season, just like Selena Roberts' A-Rod* book...

This coming from you is funny, who always advocates keeping this stuff in the locker room. They did keep it in-house last summer when the straw broke and Manny quit on the team. The well-documented crap he pulled then was far more different than the amusing "Manny being Manny" stuff from over the years.

I can tell you why this hasn't come out until now, the interview happened after last season concluded and Esquire is publishing it in their April issue to coincide with the opening of the MLB season, just like Selena Roberts' A-Rod* book...

I DO advocate keeping things IN HOUSE. But the moment he went into this "Manny being Manny" mode YEARS AGO, this could have been resolved IN HOUSE.

...so my stance has not changed one inch.

So, whether this came out at the end of last season or it came out now...He was on that team for alot of years and apparently he has been doing his little Manny shtick for quite some time....but when they were winning world championships...this was not an issue. This is bull**** to find SOMEONE to blame why they didn't win and were outplayed by a team that sucked the year before.
Papelbon doing a Schilling...same BS cowardly crap now that, just a different person saying it.

I DO advocate keeping things IN HOUSE. But the moment he went into this "Manny being Manny" mode YEARS AGO, this could have been resolved IN HOUSE.

...so my stance has not changed one inch.

So, whether this came out at the end of last season or it came out now...He was on that team for alot of years and apparently he has been doing his little Manny shtick for quite some time....but when they were winning world championships...this was not an issue. This is bull**** to find SOMEONE to blame why they didn't win and were outplayed by a team that sucked the year before.
Papelbon doing a Schilling...same BS cowardly crap now that, just a different person saying it.
I gotta tell you, your ignorance of this issue is astounding!! Take it from a Sox fan up in the northeast, the events that happened last summer that quickly prompted the trade were not the cute "Manny being Manny" moments that entertained us over the years. It was clear Manny selfishly wanted out of his contract so bad that he was willing to do whatever it took, including these events that took place in a few weeks:

6/5/08 - Manny was caught on camera slapping and grabbing teammate Kevin Youkilis in the dugout.

6/28/08 - Manny shoves Red Sox traveling secretary Jack McCormick to the ground in an argument over Ramirez' ticket allotment (16 tickets wasn't enough in Houston!!).

7/6/08 - During the ninth inning of a game at Yankee Stadium, he was called on to pinch hit against closer Mariano Rivera. With two out and the go-ahead runner on third base, he watched three called strikes to end the threat.

"Doing nothing was Manny's way of slapping us in the face," says a team executive. The Yanks won the game in the 10th inning. "I was surprised he didn't take the bat off his shoulder," Rivera said. "I don't know what he was thinking."

7/25/08 - Manny pulls himself out of the lineup because of a sore knee, but won't disclose which knee is bothering him. The team sends him for MRI exams on both knees (just to make sure) and the results are negative. He plays the next day, not showing any effects.

It was these types of events that caused the slow market for Ramirez. He's obviously still a great hitter and yet teams still weren't falling over themselves to get him during the offseason.

There is no better time for what economists call a "market correction" than now. Fans are tired. Talent is no longer enough. The Ramirez routine was exposed by the Red Sox and exacerbated by Ramirez and his agent, Scott Boras, during a bizarre offseason in which Boras seemed oblivious to the changing attitudes about the marketplace. Suddenly, the sideshow of Manny Being Manny became more important to prospective teams than his production.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=bryant_howard&id=3970562"]Manny Ramirez and Terrell Owens learned hard contract lessons - ESPN[/ame]

I gotta tell you, your ignorance of this issue is astounding!! Take it from a Sox fan up in the northeast, the events that happened last summer that quickly prompted the trade were not the cute "Manny being Manny" moments that entertained us over the years. It was clear Manny selfishly wanted out of his contract so bad that he was willing to do whatever it took, including these events that took place in a few weeks:

6/5/08 - Manny was caught on camera slapping and grabbing teammate Kevin Youkilis in the dugout.

6/28/08 - Manny shoves Red Sox traveling secretary Jack McCormick to the ground in an argument over Ramirez' ticket allotment (16 tickets wasn't enough in Houston!!).

7/6/08 - During the ninth inning of a game at Yankee Stadium, he was called on to pinch hit against closer Mariano Rivera. With two out and the go-ahead runner on third base, he watched three called strikes to end the threat.

7/25/08 - Manny pulls himself out of the lineup because of a sore knee, but won't disclose which knee is bothering him. The team sends him for MRI exams on both knees (just to make sure) and the results are negative. He plays the next day, not showing any effects.

It was these types of events that caused the slow market for Ramirez. He's obviously still a great hitter and yet teams still weren't falling over themselves to get him during the offseason.

Manny Ramirez and Terrell Owens learned hard contract lessons - ESPN

Please...!! The ignorance is on YOUR side and the Red Sox side for thinking feeding him nice big contracts was gonna either make him play nice or suddenly was gonna change him. Manny has been a jerk FOREVER. A Barry Bonds Lite, even in his days with the Indians. Doing WHAT he wanted WHEN he wanted. He didn't JUST GET the nickname "me-me" in the last couple of years...:rolleyes: What happened this past season was the boiling point...the last straw or whatever Bullsh!t cliche you wanna use. Point being, he has ALWAYS BEEN an a$$**** and the Red Sox did NOTHING about it until this past season because they didn't win it all.

What has happened is that alot of Red Sox fans have become spoiled Yankee fans lite. It is NEVER the organizations fault, it ALWAYS have to be SOME players fault they didn't win it. This time it so happens to be Manny's fault....

It's always been Manny's fault. The Red Sox gave him all the rope he needed. I'm surprised he didn't complain that it wasn't a new rope. Great hitter, but not a "team" guy.

Please...!! The ignorance is on YOUR side and the Red Sox side for thinking feeding him nice big contracts was gonna either make him play nice or suddenly was gonna change him. Manny has been a jerk FOREVER. A Barry Bonds Lite, even in his days with the Indians. Doing WHAT he wanted WHEN he wanted. He didn't JUST GET the nickname "me-me" in the last couple of years...:rolleyes: What happened this past season was the boiling point...the last straw or whatever Bullsh!t cliche you wanna use. Point being, he has ALWAYS BEEN an a$$**** and the Red Sox did NOTHING about it until this past season because they didn't win it all.

:confused: The Sox only "won it all" two seasons Manny played there, so that's a ridiculous argument. To follow your thinking would say they should have blamed him for the rest of the years they didn't win. Why didn't they trade him earlier?

When the trade to LA was worked out there were still more than two months of the season to go. The Red Sox made it to within one game of the WS. You're saying that they knew on August 1 that they weren't going to win??

Many pundits believed the Red Sox killed their chances of winning the WS last year by trading Ramirez. They felt they Sox didn't have enough offense to win, and there's a good chance that was true. But, that's how bad the situation had become, Manny had become such a derisive force in the locker room that as a team they felt they were better off without him.

What has happened is that alot of Red Sox fans have become spoiled Yankee fans lite. It is NEVER the organizations fault, it ALWAYS have to be SOME players fault they didn't win it. This time it so happens to be Manny's fault....
If by "Red Sox fans have become spoiled Yankee fans lite" you mean, knowledgeable fans of solid organizations dedicated to winning and putting the best quality teams on field, I can agree with that.

Don't get me wrong, the Red Sox knew what they were getting into and not only put up with but also marketed the hell out of a lot of cute stuff with Manny over the years:

His many trips into the Green monster
His high-five with a fan in Baltimore in the middle of a double-play
His cutting off a throw to the infield from Johnny Damon

There is a HUGE difference in the above types of antics and the ones I listed earlier. It's too bad if you can't recognize that....

:confused: The Sox only "won it all" two seasons Manny played there, so that's a ridiculous argument. To follow your thinking would say they should have blamed him for the rest of the years they didn't win. Why didn't they trade him earlier?

When the trade to LA was worked out there were still more than two months of the season to go. The Red Sox made it to within one game of the WS. You're saying that they knew on August 1 that they weren't going to win??

Many pundits believed the Red Sox killed their chances of winning the WS last year by trading Ramirez. They felt they Sox didn't have enough offense to win, and there's a good chance that was true. But, that's how bad the situation had become, Manny had become such a derisive force in the locker room that as a team they felt they were better off without him.

If by "Red Sox fans have become spoiled Yankee fans lite" you mean, knowledgeable fans of solid organizations dedicated to winning and putting the best quality teams on field, I can agree with that.

Don't get me wrong, the Red Sox knew what they were getting into and not only put up with but also marketed the hell out of a lot of cute stuff with Manny over the years:

His many trips into the Green monster
His high-five with a fan in Baltimore in the middle of a double-play
His cutting off a throw to the infield from Johnny Damon

There is a HUGE difference in the above types of antics and the ones I listed earlier. It's too bad if you can't recognize that....

Believe me, I recognized everything he has done because you Red Sox fans NOW do nothing but whine about it since he was traded. Where was all the complaining when you guys won the World Series WITH Manny?? No where to be found. Manny gave ya steak, He gave you steak and now you are bitching about how he killed the cow.......:rolleyes:

AND I love this one:

Now you and Yankee fans are compatriots and swapping Christmas cards and sharing egg nog? Since when have you Red Sox fans have associated with the like of Yankees fans as 'brothers in arms'??!! When you guys got JUST as obnoxious as Yankee fans! They use to be called the "Evil Empire" by YOU Red Sox fans....now you guys are swapping spit with Darth Vader....LOL!!

OK Ladies,
Can't you find something else to argue about, or somewhere else ?
This is amazing seeing he plays for NEITHER of your teams anymore.

Jimbo

OK Ladies,

Jimbo

Not fighting at all. Just the whole crutch of "it's Manny's fault" has been a battle cry for alot of whinny Red Sox fans. Not saying ALL Red Sox fans are....but ALOT have become. They guy is gone....get over it already....and this address ESPECIALLY to the Red Sox players and staff.:rolleyes:

OK Ladies,

Jimbo
Congratulations on your new mod status!! :up Oh wait, I'm sorry....

I saw this as an on-topic, honest discussion. There was no flaming or name calling until your post came along. Nice job.

Congratulations on your new mod status!! :up Oh wait, I'm sorry....

I saw this as an on-topic, honest discussion. There was no flaming or name calling until your post came along. Nice job.

WOW,
Are you a mod here ?

I never said I was ....
I just got tired of reading you two complaining about the same thing for two days worth of threads is all.

ESPN360

Ted Williams' Frozen Head Abused in Lab!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)