MLB 2009 Season

There MUST be, if not, they would have taken down the offer by now...

Maybe sometime before we die, they will look and see that many are NOT going for thier inflated rates for a half year and cut them back.
You would have thought that they might do something like this with the economy so bad, but it doesn't look like they have done anything to help the every day D* TV user.

This goes for the NFL as well, but seeing I saw it posted for the MLB, thought I'd comment on it.

STILL WAY too much money for less than half the season.

fwiw, How is EI HD included, while the NFL is NOT.

What do you expect from DIRECTV? Why should the price be half or less of the full season price to get one to subscribe to the last few months? The idea is to drive full season subscriptions so it's beneficial to one to subscribe for a full season than expect to save much money for a partial season.

I bet HD is included in MLB EI because it might not have been much of an additional subscription thing in 2008, so why not toss it in for 2009.

ST probably has tons of fans who will pay extra for HD so DIRECTV doesn't lump it in for free with the SD package.

If you want to save money, it appears MLB.TV is $34.95 for the rest of the season and that probably includes access to the archives through the end of February like the full season package does.

STILL WAY too much money for less than half the season.
Of course it is. They want people to sign up for the full season. They do not want people to pay a small amount for a couple months.
fwiw, How is EI HD included, while the NFL is NOT.
They just included it this year. It used to be a separate add-on for $50, known as SuperFan, that included the Strike-zone channel (equivalent to the red-zone channel in ST) and the game mix channel. Since MLBNet came into play the new agreement required DirecTV to get rid of the Strike-zone channel. The add-on package was no longer as enticing so they raised the price of EI by $10 and included everything in it.

For those subs like me that always payed the extra $50, we actually got a $40 reduction from last year's price.

Of course it is. They want people to sign up for the full season. They do not want people to pay a small amount for a couple months.

They just included it this year. It used to be a separate add-on for $50, known as SuperFan, that included the Strike-zone channel (equivalent to the red-zone channel in ST) and the game mix channel. Since MLBNet came into play the new agreement required DirecTV to get rid of the Strike-zone channel. The add-on package was no longer as enticing so they raised the price of EI by $10 and included everything in it.

For those subs like me that always payed the extra $50, we actually got a $40 reduction from last year's price.

Same for me. I did love the Strike Zone channel, but $40 less and many more games in HD.

:up :up :up

Sandra

What do you expect from DIRECTV? Why should the price be half or less of the full season price to get one to subscribe to the last few months? The idea is to drive full season subscriptions so it's beneficial to one to subscribe for a full season than expect to save much money for a partial season.

I bet HD is included in MLB EI because it might not have been much of an additional subscription thing in 2008, so why not toss it in for 2009.

ST probably has tons of fans who will pay extra for HD so DIRECTV doesn't lump it in for free with the SD package.

If you want to save money, it appears MLB.TV is $34.95 for the rest of the season and that probably includes access to the archives through the end of February like the full season package does.

I'm not watching MLB.TV on my 22" monitor when I have a 60" Pioneer Elite behind me.

Mark Prior was released by the Padres today:

The Associated Press: Padres release Mark Prior after slow rehab

I suppose the Pirates are a likely team to pick him up because they'll pick up anyone who has a pulse. ;)

I think ANY team that picks him up cheap is definately worth it for NEXT YEAR. Have a decent incentive filled contract and it is worth the risk.

Good ole Dusty "the Arm Killer" Baker's legacy continues....

I tell you if I was and up an coming pitcher, I would NOT want to pitch in ANY farm system that has Dusty Baker as the manager of the Big Club.

Good Read on Cliff Lee from a Philly Blogger....

When he first came over, we kind of dubbed Cliff Lee the 1a to Cole's No. 1 status in the rotation. No more. Cliff is this team's best. Mr. Lee is the kind of guy you don't only expect to pitch well every time out, you also expect a win.

Since the All-Star Break, Cliff Lee is 5-0 with a 1.32 ERA in 5 starts with 3 complete games. The man is ours.

Glad to see The General doing well in his new digs....

The700Level.com - Philly Sports & Minutiae: Cliff Lee For the Wrigley Sweep

He has been the Phillies ONLY saving grace because they have played horrible! They had a chance to stick a dagger in the Marlins heart and put them out of their misery when they came to Philly...the Marlins were really down after being swept by the lowly Nationals.....and the Marlins swept them putting themselves right back in the race.

Huge Series starts tonight in ATL.

Like the pitching matchups for the Braves.

Marlins and Braves are both still in the NL East race. Though admittedly the Philles are still the team to beat until proven otherwise.

Friday-Blanton vs Jurrjens

Saturday-Hamels vs Kawakami

Sunday-Happ vs Vasquez.

Huge Series starts tonight in ATL.

Like the pitching matchups for the Braves.

Marlins and Braves are both still in the NL East race. Though admittedly the Philles are still the team to beat until proven otherwise.

Friday-Blanton vs Jurrjens

Saturday-Hamels vs Kawakami

Sunday-Happ vs Vasquez.

ALSO HUGE is the Rockies at Marlins series.

BIG pickup by the Tigers that has gone under the radar....

I REALLY like this trade by the Tigers that has gone unnoticed by alot of people.

Tigers acquire Huff from Orioles

Associated Press

BALTIMORE -- The Detroit Tigers bolstered their offense for a pennant drive by obtaining first baseman Aubrey Huff from the Baltimore Orioles on Monday for a minor leaguer.

"I've been in last place basically my whole career, so this is an exciting time for me," Huff said. "I'm looking forward to it."

The Tigers began Monday leading the Chicago White Sox by 2 games in the AL Central. The last-place Orioles obtained pitcher Brett Jacobson from Detroit and assigned the right-hander to Class A Frederick.

Huff is batting .253 with 13 homers and 72 RBIs. He recently hit his 200th career homer and should fit nicely in a Detroit lineup that ranks 11th in the AL in runs and seventh in home runs.

"He adds another left-handed bat to our ballclub and is a middle-of-the-lineup type hitter," Tigers president and general manager Dave Dombrowski said. "We've worked on trying to get a bat for a while."

Huff's contract with Baltimore expires after this season, so Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail decided it was the right time to deal the 32-year-old veteran to a contender.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4405359"]Detroit Tigers acquire Aubrey Huff from Baltimore Orioles for minor league pitcher - ESPN[/ame]

Strasburg, Nats agree on deal at last minute

4 year, 15.1 million deal for Stephen Strasburg

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9950714/Strasburg-signs-with-Nats-for-$15.1-million

I am trying to figure out what I think about this deal. If Strasburg is another Brien Taylor or Todd Van Poppel, the Nats got ripped a new one by Boras. If Strasburg turns out to be a Roy Halladay or Johan Santana, Boras failed his client by "only" getting $15m deal.

We'll see what happens in 2013 or so and see if Strasburg is going to be one of those pitchers worth at least $10m per year on a renewed deal or if he'll be another hyped pitcher bust.

4 year, 15.1 million deal for Stephen Strasburg

MLB - - FOX Sports on MSN

I am trying to figure out what I think about this deal. If Strasburg is another Brien Taylor or Todd Van Poppel, the Nats got ripped a new one by Boras. If Strasburg turns out to be a Roy Halladay or Johan Santana, Boras failed his client by "only" getting $15m deal.

We'll see what happens in 2013 or so and see if Strasburg is going to be one of those pitchers worth at least $10m per year on a renewed deal or if he'll be another hyped pitcher bust.

BOTH the Nats AND Strasburg HAD to make this deal. For the NATS, to let what COULD BE a potential star get away, would be devastating to the franchise and fanbase. For Strasburg, he was not going to have nowhere near the bargaining power next year if he decided on waiting till next year to sign. Not to mention that he might get picked by the Nats AGAIN or the Pirates or San Diego.

...wait till November when stud Cuban pitcher Aroldis Chapman becomes eligible. He is just as good and almost throws just as hard as Strasburg. Actually, they EXACTLY the same pitcher expect for one is a lefty and on is a righty.

Cuban pitcher Chapman defects | MLB.com: News

...wait till November when stud Cuban pitcher Aroldis Chapman becomes eligible.

not that impressed even though I own his WBC baseball card. ;)

0-1, 5.68 ERA and in 2 games started, 6 H, 4R, 4W, 8K and 1.58 whip in WBC play. I can't imagine he'll set the MLB on fire if he can't set the WBC on fire.

His card doesn't give any Cuban potential olympic or national team stats, so I don't know if he dominated amateur play or if he's just "sexy" because he's a hard thrower.

not that impressed even though I own his WBC baseball card. ;)

0-1, 5.68 ERA and in 2 games started, 6 H, 4R, 4W, 8K and 1.58 whip in WBC play. I can't imagine he'll set the MLB on fire if he can't set the WBC on fire.

His card doesn't give any Cuban potential olympic or national team stats, so I don't know if he dominated amateur play or if he's just "sexy" because he's a hard thrower.

Against All Star teams...as compared to what Strasburg faced competition wise against college teams...I will take Chapman. Wait till the bidding starts in November, mark my words, it will be MORE money than what Daisuke Matsuzaka signed for. Luckily, Scott Boras does not represent Chapman. That Boras has a way of squeezing alot of money from ALOT of teams.

Like I said, I think they are more than likely, the EXACT pitcher. Let' say this, what would Chapman do against the competition Strasburg pitched against and visa versa.

Going back to the Strasburg signing....I am in awe of the kinda money #1 picks in baseball get these days. Especially for a guy that will more than likely not make a Major League roster for more than likely 3 years....maybe even more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)